Things you thought you owned but don't

LuvPeckham

This is prompted by the fact that I have my mum staying with me at the moment after her recent back operation.

The other day she asked me to make boiled eggs, (3 1/2 minutes to get them right before anyone asks) and just as I was about to scoop them out of the water I realised that I don't actually own any egg cup holders. I thought I did but after a rapid search of the kitchen I concluded that at no time in the past 15 years have I owned any or that I did and have thrown them out. It also brought home to me that I obviously haven't made boiled eggs in all that time either.

I am curious now to know if anyone else has had this sort of thing happen to them as well (with any item that they thought they owned)

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LP, Tree Top squash bottle caps make ideal egg

> cups.

> And of course the shape of the bottle makes it an

> excellent substitute for a lave lamp, with the

> addition of some some Spry cooking oil, a drop of

> Swarfega and a tea light.

Good suggestion, except I don't drink Squash

Your suggestion does sound like a Viz Top Tip I have to add.

I actually used a Biscuit cutter to hold the eggs with in the end.

PGC - is that a Magic darning mushroom ?

Every Christmas for the last few years when I buy fresh nuts, I never buy a nutcracker as at the time I am always convinced (yes, every year I am afraid!) that I have one at home, get home, its Boxing Day, no nutcracker, nuts go mouldy or they get broken by placing them near the hinge of the living room door and squashed! But I am proud to say, I went to the 99p shop in Camberwell (absolutely fantastic loads of huge name branded groceries and everything for guess what,99p!) and bought one and have happily munched through the whole bag to date!

Funnily enough it was a strange craving for boiled eggs that led me to a similar conclusion just before Christmas. A chance comment on how I'd had to peel the eggs straight onto the toast led to Santa bringing me a lovely set of egg cups that look like mini espresso cups & saucers. Incidentally, normal espresso cups work quite well so long as you're using large eggs.

As for 3.5 minutes, that varies depending on when the water boiled, how many eggs there are and if your eggs started at room or fridge temperature. I have a Magic Egg that you put in the water with the eggs and it figures out for you whether it's soft/medium/hard by changing colour. It is one of the most useful kitchen gadgets that I own.

giggirl Wrote:

> There are several cats that are convinced they own

> my garden. I get given the evils if I dare

> venture into it myself.

Ahhh

But the universal truth is cats own everything (your house, bed, kitchen table, sofa) so this isn't really something you thought you owned as you clearly didn't in the first place and the cats obviously let you use it on occasions when they don't need it!!!

A can opener that works.. Every time I try to open something I curse the gods above and then stupidly put it back in the utensil holder and repeat!

I need to own the following

A hoover that actually sucks stuff up off the ground

A can opener that works

Ramakens

Wire thingys that go on the radiators to dry the clothes like Hannah6_6 has

little lovely white pots for choc desserts to go in

A griddle

a basting brush

I have absolutely no cash so wont be going and buying anything but that is my list if someone is feeling generous!! ;-)

Brendan Wrote:

> Don't worry I had the same experience. I get the

> idea I just don't get how the website is supposed

> to work.

Snap me too! God B I am glad Im not the only one!! HOpe I see you at the next drinks! mwah! x

You don't log into to it as such; it's an old Yahoo Groups format. You give them an email address and subscribe to your local area's freecycle group. Then your mailbox gets either a message anytime someone has something to offer or a digest (1-3 time a day depending on how busy the group is) with all the messages since the last digest - although then good stuff has sometimes gone. For that reason alone, it's worth setting up a freecycle address to stop your regular one being swamped. If you have something to get rid off, then you email the group address and that gets sent out.

The website keeps an archive of all the posts so that you can go on and have a look but it's not really how it works. I used it to get rid of an old PC that worked but I didn't need. It can take forever to get someone who wants it and actually shows up to get the thing!

Nigella's schtick has worn a little thin for me.

The original shows were all about the sanctity of the ingredients, homemade stock, 'sourced' ingredients and taking time and effort over preparing food. Plus an effortless sexiness and well written script.

Nigella Express said, bugger all that, use tins of Lidl beans, leftover Burger Kings, Wonderloaf and Pot Noodles in order to create a supper your friends will never forget.

Mind she did gad about in a nightie, so we'll call that a draw then.

That Christmas thing was all over the place and I think she should have a rethink.

Though still, when she requests we cast our eyes over the lovely rack, it's not the lamb I be lookin' at, knowwha'msayin'?

LuvPeckham Wrote:

> I actually used a Biscuit cutter to hold the eggs

> with in the end.

THE MOST ENORMOUS DOUBLE TAKE SINCE...Oh, sorry can't think. Can I leave it at Laurel & Hardy at their double-takiest?

But I've just realised LP that you DON'T have an egg cup, but you DO have 'biscuit cutters'.

It beggars belief that your kitchen priorities are so skewed, indeed warped.

I can only assume you came off the worst in a break up with a patissier.

If that was the case, LP I apologise, Je suis desolee.