Why is Iggy Pop trying to sell me insurance?

Brendan

"The 'Get a Life' theme emphasises how Iggy Pop can embrace his online life to save time so he and other consumers can 'Get a Life'."

"In this particular commercial Iggy Pop remarks on how he hasn't seen his own birth certificate in years. Another execution highlights the time one can save by using swiftcover.com, especially the company's ability to generate a quote in 60 seconds."

(*weeps silently*)

I was deeply disappointed I must say.

There are just some iconic people especially from the 60s or those who made their name then anyway, who I feel should never sell out and he was one.

I am not a fan of Ben Elton but it would be similar if he started advertising anything!

Or Joni Mitchell.

Elton John advertising the PO was understandable, he did not make his name by criticising society.

Having said that, neither did Iggy. But even so...!

I wouldn?t really call it selling out. The Stooges were never really ?underground? in the true sense of the word. They recorded on major labels and were commercially managed and marketed. Iggy Pop himself has never been averse to the odd commercially motivated TV or film appearance either.

It?s just really fucking surreal seeing him doing essentially what this fellow does,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/02/uk_black_representation_in_advertising/img/10.jpg

I think the subtext the admen were trying to convey was, here's a man who has taken every known drug in industrial quantities for a long period of time, has gouged lumps out of himself, rolled in broken glass and invited audiences to beat him up.

He has achieved a ripe old age, he has his Freeedom pass and enjoys a round of golf.

Isn't that what you want for you and your loved ones in these times of economic uncertainty?

Works for me. Where do I sign?

This is a weird phenomenon. Similarly:-

Why is Samuel L Jackson trying to sell me Virgin Media?

Why are Elle McPherson, Bruce Willis, Alice Cooper and Ringo Starr trying to sell me insurance?

Presumably because they need the money, poor things.