New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
New Japanese izakaya place outside Kanpai sake distillery in Peckham. Went yesterday and loved it - tasty and reasonable prices - v informal setting - dress warm if you want to sit outside, or you can sit in the sake place and drink warm sake. Soft launch yesterday and today - 25% off. Here it is: https://instagram.com/kanpaikitchenpeckham?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Seems a bit harsh.

Soderberg has a distinct offer, Swedish, whereas Gail's seems a bit more generic.

It's run by a Swede and looks like it's privately owned, albeit part of a currently very small chain - this is only their second in London.

Gails is owned by Bain Capital.

And aren't business owners, by definition, bourgeois - were you hoping that site was going to taken over by a proletariat co-op?

The brand and food are bourgeois. We have many bourgeois coffee shops in Dulwich. Poundland is a business, but it is not bourgeois.

I'm sorry, but brands, and foodstuffs, are not and cannot be bourgeois, which is a definition of a state of mind of people - or the definition by one group of people of the political class of another group of people. Foodstuffs do not have a political class, The customers may be bourgeois, by someone's definition, or may be pretentious, and the products designed for them. Poundland is a business, and a big business. It may cater for a customer base that does not self-identify as bourgeois, but that does not make the company, or those who run it, any one thing or another. I'm betting that Poundland middle management may well meet your criteria of bourgeois. And not themselves shop there!

This is an ad hominem attack using early 20th century political vituperation. It really doesn't belong in the early 21st Century. And it's inappropriately addressed. You might just as well call the shops Kulaks. Or Intellectuals.

Poundland is not Bourgeois.

It's owned by Steinhoff International Holdings N.V., a Dutch company that is listed on the Frankfurt and Johannesburg stock exchanges.

Steinhoff has annual revenues of about 10 billion pounds

You can't really compare that to a company that runs a handful of bakeries.

Apparently Wagamama is moving into Barclays space on LL, just heard tth naot sure of the actual source.

Is there any truth to the rumours that Wagamama's and Poundland are coming to the Lane?

Poundland is - its replacing Foxtons. Its discussed here: https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2286345

Haven't heard anything about Wagamama. Any source for that one?

brands, and foodstuffs, are not and cannot be bourgeois,

TBH, comrade, I'm not convinced of the accuracy of your definition of "bourgeois", either in a Marxist/Marxian sense or the vernacular sense, which both correctly describe Soderberg. But you obviously have strong feelings about it, so feel to imagine Soderberg described as "yet another coffee shop/bakery for the bourgeoisie", which I hope you find dogmatically acceptable. https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/bourgeois_1

You might just as well call the shops Kulaks. Or Intellectuals.

If Dulwich becomes plagued by as many Kulak-oriented shops (perhaps they would sell petrol cultivators, or yokes for oxen) as we have smug identikit coffee shops, I will come back to moan about the preponderance of kulak-oriented shops. Until then...

brands, and foodstuffs, are not and cannot be bourgeois,

TBH, comrade, I'm not convinced of the accuracy of your definition of "bourgeois", either in a Marxist/Marxian sense or the vernacular sense, which both correctly describe Soderberg. But you obviously have strong feelings about it, so feel to imagine Soderberg described as "yet another coffee shop/bakery for the bourgeoisie", which I hope you find dogmatically acceptable. https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/bourgeois_1

You might just as well call the shops Kulaks. Or Intellectuals.

If Dulwich becomes plagued by as many Kulak-oriented shops (perhaps they would sell petrol cultivators, or yokes for oxen) as we have smug identikit coffee shops, I will come back to moan about the preponderance of kulak-oriented shops. Until then...

I have to agree with Penguin here - 'bourgeois' might describe the patrons, but I don't see how a bakery can be bourgeois.

Anyway, this word surely no longer describes anyone these days, it's a pejorative way to describe social climbers in the past who belonged to the lower middle classes. Surely these days we're a far more class-less society.

These places might be predictable, perhaps, with a large dollop of twee, but not bourgeois.

Cos we really need another restaurant.....so much more useful than a bank!!!!

Apparently Wagamama is moving into Barclays space on LL, just heard tth naot sure of the actual source.

Is there any truth to the rumours that Wagamama's and Poundland are coming to the Lane?

Poundland is - its replacing Foxtons. Its discussed here: https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2286345

Haven't heard anything about Wagamama. Any source for that one?

Wagamamas is not what it used to be...

another chain..guess they're the only ones who can afford the rents now.

I'd rather have a Barclays bank than a Wagamamas.

And...

Who can really afford to eat out more than once a month these days??

we are both adults in full time work, middle income.. we go out for a meal once a month maximum

and I'm not talking flashy west-end I'm talking local.