New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

I'm not drawn to Megans (humus is great...but homemade is best)- I was wishing for an independent or a Dishoom or a second branch of Arabica. Megan's seems another baby-buggy, expensive, derivative mish-mash, but an improvement on William Hill

Just saw Megan?s are attempting a rebrand of Lordship Lane with a sign they?ve installed saying ?Megan?s on the Lordship?. Hilarious

Although there is an element of sense in distinguishing - a simple 'I'll meet you at Megan's' is open to misinterpretation - it's likely that people might naturally use that sobriquet anyway. Or another, worse, one.

I do wonder how Megan's is going to get on. The DV one is terrible (and we keep trying to give it chance after chance but finally have given up) and I don't hear many people with a good word to say about it. Apparently they, like so many places post-Brexit, are struggling to find staff so I can't imagine they are going to magically fix it on the Lordship Lane outlet.

Wow

So much negativity towards new businesses on Lordship Lane.

Putting them down before they open, when we should be celebrating the fact that they see Lordship Lane as a thriving environment to open up on.

Other high streets have swaths of closed or boarded up premises so let's celebrate each new business, give them a chance and our support and hopefully they will survive without having their legs taken away from under them before they start.

Or would you all rather see a town centre that is full of closed businesses with the occasional pound shop providing a grim statement on the affairs of a once healthy thriving High Street?

It?s a good point you raise Spartacus, personally I am happy to see the high street thrive. On Megan?s specifically, I think not getting feedback or the chance to respond to it is a risk to their business and as I would like them to succeed, I?ve left specific feedback on Trip Advisor. I also have a concern about how many businesses are pushing out so much single use packaging so I think it?s good for them to feel pressure to keep working on the sustainability of the model.

I?d describe Megan?s as ?OK?, have really only been in for breakfast a few times due to convenient location. The service was a bit slow. But it seems to be doing something right as they seem to be consistently quite busy- I think it?s the dog and child friendliness plus free WiFi. I do wish they wouldn?t have quite so many lights blaring at night though - it does look nice but screams ?waste of energy? every time I see them. Their power bill must be astronomic!

I think most of the neg stuff had been because the operation is a chain and they have previous, albeit at another site.

Operations like this often work to a model, which includes consistency, so if you?ve had a duff experience before, you conceivably could again. I agree nothing should be pre-judged, but a multi-outlet setup like this will have a reputation - which may help / hinder them when they open a new branch.

I don?t think all new businesses get slated before they open in this area !

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wow

> So much negativity towards new businesses on

> Lordship Lane.

>

> Putting them down before they open, when we should

> be celebrating the fact that they see Lordship

> Lane as a thriving environment to open up on.

>

> Other high streets have swaths of closed or

> boarded up premises so let's celebrate each new

> business, give them a chance and our support and

> hopefully they will survive without having their

> legs taken away from under them before they

> start.

>

> Or would you all rather see a town centre that is

> full of closed businesses with the occasional

> pound shop providing a grim statement on the

> affairs of a once healthy thriving High Street?

I?ve never said, or heard anyone say, ?I?m just going up Lordship? - always ?the Lane?. I imagine it?s part of a drive to root the outlet in the local community but delivered by people who either haven?t investigated prevalent usage or else don?t have a firm grasp on syntax.

> Jenijenjen: Just saw Megan?s are attempting a rebrand of

> Lordship Lane with a sign they?ve installed saying

> ?Megan?s on the Lordship?. Hilarious

>

> Penguin68: Although there is an element of sense in

> distinguishing - a simple 'I'll meet you at

> Megan's' is open to misinterpretation - it's

> likely that people might naturally use that

> sobriquet anyway. Or another, worse, one.

Spartacus Wrote:

> So much negativity towards new businesses on

> Lordship Lane.

Pret and Megan's aren't plucky little startups, their feelings won't be hurt. I don't want the reasonable mix of independents and small chains we have to be driven out by better-financed chain stores.

After living here for almost 76 years it has always be Lordship Lane and Rye Lane. Never heard these new names being used but I am an old fossil. In fact most times you used just past the roundabout if you meant Lordship Lane.

Same as Bellenden Road not Bellenden Village.

Still things have to change to give places a sense of importance.

It's closed Dave, which to me seemed like an inevitability from the outset.

Hopefully someone will come in quickly and make a better fist of it. It's a great space!

CPR Dave Wrote:

> Does anyone know if "The Brougham" is still open?

Rockets Wrote:

> I do wonder how Megan's is going to get on. The DV

> one is terrible (and we keep trying to give it

> chance after chance but finally have given up) and

> I don't hear many people with a good word to say

> about it. Apparently they, like so many places

> post-Brexit, are struggling to find staff so I

> can't imagine they are going to magically fix it

> on the Lordship Lane outlet.

Two chances was enough for me with Megans..small portions, haphazard service, not very tasty food overpriced and that awful piped muzak....

Now Dishoom...That WOULD be good.. Or even a Leon's....

Some chains are good But my experience with DV Megans leaves me disinclined to try their other branches.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Leon's has gone massively down hill imo - no

> longer including the salad bits that used to make

> it feel a bit healthier.

>

> Haven't been to Megans, but the one in the Village

> seems to be doing a roaring trade, so someone must

> like it.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to like Megans due to the menu sounding lovely...but frankly it doesn't live up to the description on any level.

Haven't been to Leons for a while to be fair so thank you for this insight-I loved their salads with the chicken.

I found Magans only 1/4 full both times I went (both weekends lunchtime).

It may be full due to novelty value (ie: its new) and the menu looks good on paper...I would be interested to see how many people return for the food.