New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

THe whole place needs a bit of TLC. It is great the buses are back and that there are still biggish chains - Boots, Poundland, Primark, Superdrug, McD's, Argos but the bit going south from the station is not as lively and rather shabby (litter, vandalised shutters, etc.) Landlords don't seem to want to clean their properties' frontages and so go home and leave it all ugly for those who live, work and shop there.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about East Dulwich but it's all happening in West Dulwich:

- La Gastronomia is temporarily closed, apparently for renovations - at least they're moving stuff around inside. Hopefully the back garden and greenhouse will have a spruce up, as it could be a really nice little space

- Sheriff Coffee inside West Dulwich Station has reopened (or just rebounded?) as Colibri. Didn't get a chance to see whether the coffee has improved, but the pastries look the same as always

- the new grocer/organic/eco supplies store has opened up at 10 Croxted Rd. I think it's called hummingbird or something. It looks very nice inside.

- Peace & Riot has (hopefully temporarily) closed due to COVID restrictions.

Rockets Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And on the Ivy Brasserie my concern would be where

> they would put the Ivy Asia as it seems that

> everywhere there is a Brasserie version an Asian

> version appears as if by magic next door!

Also, there is already confusion with The Ivy House in Nunhead being mistaken for other Ivies, so this will make that worse!

Although the Ivy would be nice, wouldn't it be great to see a non-chain restaurant in Dulwich Village? Creative menus are to be found in Peckham eg the Kudu places, Levan, Forza Wine. Shame ED's Terroirs closed and the orig Palmerston is no more. Is it that only chains can afford the rents?

kissthisguy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Shame ED's

> Terroirs closed and the orig Palmerston is no

> more. Is it that only chains can afford the rents?

The story around the original Palmerston changing hands had nothing to do with rents.

It's a sorry saga. There's a thread on here somewhere.

Ivy Brasserie/Asia has been on an aggressive expansion programme (seemingly around their existing sites) and perhaps Dulwich fell off the radar.

I agree it would be good to see non-chains but I suspect the rents don't allow that in the Village (and Lordship Lane now) and that's why Peckham is the place for good independent places.

• 2 months later...