New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Abe_froeman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't know if this was true or not either but

> > there was a rumour that BH wanted to move to

> > where the flying pig was

>

>

> That was/is a very small strange space, wasn't it?

Small ? it was enormous.. Formerly Locale Italian Cocktail Bar and Restaurant.

Formerly Locale

Front Bar

o.jpg

Back restaurant area... of Locale

o.jpg

Foxy

DuncanW Wrote:

> That?s reopened now as The Brougham,

> http://www.thebrougham.co.uk/east-dulwich.html

Has it? I thought Aneto had expanded into it?

Locale was horrible.

When it was The Flying Pig, that downstairs space always seemed really weird.

Perhaps whoever has it now could do what Franco Manca did to the old Black Cherry space, and make it all on one level. That might improve things.

Just looked at their website. I look forward to enjoying a "relaxed and stylish atmosphere" (rolls eyes).

Locale was a bit of a flop. There weren't that many places to get pizza back then in ED and they still couldn't make it work.

I quite like the split level. I don't think that's the problem. That layout worked fine when it was Greens/The Green?

I hope the new owners make a success of it.

Nigello Wrote:

> Hmm, lovely Luca that refuses - as printed on the

> menu - to give a hot water top-up to your teapot

> and adds a "gratuity" to the order for table

> service, unlike other similar establishments on

> both counts. Not convinced that constitutes

> "lovely", though I do think it is a good addition

> to NXR and wish it well (and hope it rethinks its

> miserly tea top-up attitude!) And yes, I did speak

> up when I was there (a few months ago so maybe it

> has changed) so I am not moaning into the ether.

I cant speak for the hot water top-up because I'm a coffee drinker and my OH doesn't drink tea either But we often used to go there for brunch at weekends and I'd go there for lunch after a gym work out now and again and never had gratuity added to the bill.

Just tried AOneSushi today (new small sushi stand in Aylesham centre on Rye Lane). It?s really really nice - it?s run by two people - small selection but v v good sushi (and a few other things) and price was pretty reasonable considering the quality. I think it?s only open Fri-Sat afternoons for now - you?re meant to preorder food on Instagram. Thought I would post since it?s hidden away, and not many people seem to know about it yet

• 1 month later...

LJC56 Wrote:

> Arapina, a new bakery advertising healthy

> lifestyle baking, is open in the old Threshers,

> and smells delicious. And how great to see that

> shop space being used after what must be 20 years

> empty.

How many bakeries does one road actually need?

I'm actually got 'bakery fatigue"

• 1 month later...

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> That Flying Pig/Aneto/Brougham site is a bit odd,

> as it's so bloody big. It's hard to imagine any

> bar or restaurant of that size in this area being

> full. It is a good location, though. Maybe

> separating it out into a bar and restaurant might

> work?

They should separate the two area and make the drop down bit a cafe with a front opening up on the playground side.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is missing having an artisan/hipster/whatever you want to call it style bakery in town, and you don't have bakery fatigue, an old milk float has been parked up on Zenoria Street on the last few Sundays, run by Dalston's The Dusty Knuckle bakery.

They have bread, gourmet sandwiches, pastries and a few other products. Definitely worth having a look.

Only there for an hour each Sunday, followed by a stop somewhere in Peckham rye park.

https://www.thedustyknuckle.com/milk-float

Other local options for Sourdough are Oru and Jones. There is also going to be a new shop in what was the old library on Grove Vale - Marvellous Greens and Beans. Its opening in July and says it will sell sourdough bread / coffee as well as veg boxes that I think they deliver.

Should be a great addition - looking forward to it opening.

Whilst milk float type stalls are interesting, I think that its much better to support good local businesses or we will just be left with chains who can weather the ups and downs of demand more easily!

Just to say a big thumbs up to Callow's who came out today and fixed a dodgy lock in about 3 minutes having contacted them this morning.

They very kindly waived any call out charge. Thanks !

Callows are great and so much of their business must be call out or recommendation. We've used them lots and recommended to friends as far away as Clapham. Whilst they do cut keys and sell some padlocks / safe boxes etc that doesn't seem to be a significant component of what most people seem to use them for. Its why it can be so damaging when people suggest its closing! They're relocating, not closing. Assume its because they think that having people drive past is a way of reminding them that they exist when they do need a locksmith, but its probably not great to have constant noise about them closing as thats what people will remember!