New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At long last. It?s so tiny in there though!

Can't remember if that used to be the cobblers or the pet shop?

They were both pretty small!

It went through various incarnations as a shoe shop.

I liked Brick Bakery and understand that it was doing really well until Gails came in and offered to pay the landlord considerably more in rent. As a result a very successful independent business was forced out and the space has been kept empty for a considerable time. I won?t be giving Gails my business as personally I think this type of behaviour is what stifles innovation, holds back the economy and leads to identikit high streets.

This sounds terrible, I would also avoid Gails !! But before I do so, where can I read more about this vile behaviour pls ?

(to be clear, I'm not doubting you I just wanna firm-up before switching Gails off in my head).

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I liked Brick Bakery and understand that it was

> doing really well until Gails came in and offered

> to pay the landlord considerably more in rent. As

> a result a very successful independent business

> was forced out and the space has been kept empty

> for a considerable time. I won?t be giving Gails

> my business as personally I think this type of

> behaviour is what stifles innovation, holds back

> the economy and leads to identikit high streets.

heartblock Wrote:

> Brickhouse bakery Peckham Rye loaf .... sadly

> missed. Gail?s is owned by Mr. Brexit... the bread

> isn?t as good as Brickhouse, but they do make

> tasty treats. I will be tempted....

I won't be tempted even if they gave the food and coffee away.

I am massively anti the homogenisation of every shopping street and neighbourhood.

I'll go to Luca on North X road as I do now...lovely people who have served the community well during Lockdowns past and present

Hmm, lovely Luca that refuses - as printed on the menu - to give a hot water top-up to your teapot and adds a "gratuity" to the order for table service, unlike other similar establishments on both counts. Not convinced that constitutes "lovely", though I do think it is a good addition to NXR and wish it well (and hope it rethinks its miserly tea top-up attitude!) And yes, I did speak up when I was there (a few months ago so maybe it has changed) so I am not moaning into the ether.

Gails part owned by Luke Johnson - Brexit supporter or not, wether that is good or not (he is, and it IS Bad) main problem I have with him is how he treats his staff - he was one of the bosses on that documentary series where managers took to shop floors and he was appalled by conditions but was one of the few to change nothing when he left the shop floor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Johnson_(businessman)

My dislike of the man long predates Brexit or Gails

Are you talking about the concept they had for

3 Lordship Lane which is plain to see from the images... That concept is NOT Brickhouse site.. The planning application for 3 Lordship Lane is on the Southwark Planning Portal... It was later withdrawn. If you look closely and have an idea of the building at 1 Zenoria Street you can clearly see it is not the one you have posted.

The chemist?s at the top of Melbourne is moving into the Tessa J Centre in early March. It takes up two shopfronts so it?s absence will be felt. (I?ve commented on the tattiness of that bit of the road with vandalised shopfronts and worry that it?ll look even more unloved once the property is empty. Retail needs all the help it can get.

While I understand why Day Lewis is moving to the TJC to ensure they scoop up custom from the surgery that also moved there, it is another massive blow to trade on Melbourne Grove with the passing footfall who have carried on walking along Melbourne Grove since the road closure.

I agree, BBC, which is why I am concerned about the lack of interest from some shopowners/landlords at keeping their shops as attractive as possible. I have asked Cllr McAsh to get involved and have suggested to the shops that they can get in touch with the council to get scrawl removed free of charge, as long as they sign a waiver. It is the most I can do (and I live at least a mile away but walk there often and use some of the shops). Retail needs all the help it can get (which is why I lament the Ponderosa state of Rye Lane and its pitifual appearance once all the shutters are down and no buses are going along it.)

Brick house was pretty expensive, but it was sooo good. The coffee, pastries, bread... everything was so good. A fresh, warm morning bun or bostock in the morning with a coffee was genuinely something to look forward to. Even jam on toast was a treat. The interior didn't necessarily work that well but I liked the fact that you were sitting in a proper working bakery.

Gails is OK.. certainly a lot better than Nero/Costa, but it's nothing special really. I can't see myself being sufficiently militant to boycott due to business ethics, but it's not good enough to tempt me unless I happen to be passing by.

Re Brick House - Fergus (the owner/head baker) posted a lot about the situation re their Landlord and Gail's at the time, some of which is still up on his Instagram. The key pieces as I understand it from that were:

a) Gail's had approached BH's landlord proactively to inquire about the site some time ago when BH was operating from there;

b) at the time of the next lease negotiation/rent review, the landlord went back to Gail's and basically said "make me an offer" which they did;

c) the landlord then went back to BH and said this is the increase, reflecting what Gail's was willing to pay for the site as the market rent (and apparently it was a significant increase);

d) the increase was more than BH was prepared to pay so they left the site.

I'm not sure anyone can blame Gail's for acting in a commercial way, or the landlord for wanting to maximise the value of its property, but I will say it's poetic justice that the site has remained empty for that long. I never stopped in at BH but it did damn fine bread.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I don't know if this was true or not either but

> there was a rumour that BH wanted to move to

> where the flying pig was

That was/is a very small strange space, wasn't it?