New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

se22cat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The pharmacist in Sogim said they plan on moving

> to a smaller unit over the road.

Indeed -next to the ED LOCAL Newsagents (which also now has a "Retail Unit To Let" sign outside). Might be a lot of new exciting businesses soon... might be.

Thanks for the recommendations :)

Unfortunately a bit the wrong end of ED/Peckham for us as we're now Forest Hill/Honor Oak borders. My other half still travelled back to LL for Headnizm though, as the cuts were good and the prices so reasonable. Going to miss Stacey and her team.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> I doubt you'll find any hard border between urban

> and suburban London. But East Dulwich feels pretty

> suburban to me, in that it's pretty much entirely

> residential - with businesses only really

> servicing the local population. If it's not, then

> it sure as hell isn't far off.

Ed is definitely suburban.

Still waiting and hoping that we get a Fortnum & Mason type outlet on Lordship Lane. The 2 M&S stores are completely overrun with middle aged, well off ladies literally hellbent on chucking everything with a yellow sticker in their baskets. They clog up the aisles and unnecessarily decimate the stock available to those who come after work to buy dinner for the evening. A more upmarket store would hopefully seperate the wheat from the chaff and those who wish to can shop in more pleasant surroundings.

monica Wrote:

> Waitrose is opening up on Lordship lane, next door

> to Superdrug. Its the old William hill store.

There goes the area

Before we know it chains like cafe Nero will move in and the lane will be doomed all doomed

I am serious, I have insider info, my contact knows everything. We have too many chains now, however the council are granting change of use, left right and centre.

The council need money from every single avenue possible, they are not bothered about chains. We now how shops, that no longer have USPs, due to businesses opening up and piggy backing off existing businesses.

Please don't be surprised in 5 years time when Lordship Lane, becomes another faceless high street.

Please don't be surprised in 5 years time when Lordship Lane, becomes another faceless high street.

This is, in fact, unlikely. Most of the LL shops have far too small a footprint to be commercially attractive to 'the High Street' shops. They need both frontage and storage areas. That has been our saving grace - we are great for small local independants, not attractive to chains. More likely is that increasing rates and rents drive everyone out - and we end up with closed shops or charity/ pop-ups. It is net profitability per square metre which is the driver in any retail operation. Drive up fixed costs and you drive down profitability, for any given turnover.