New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

Must be a third one then. I walked passed an empty shop along from Peddler and the sign said ?new vegetarian canteen opening soon?

It was before Two Girls.

I must admit I just googled vegetarian canteen Peckham and got the wildflower site and out 2 & 2 together to make 5 as it turns out.

Maybe vegetarian food is becoming the new ?pizza? and we are going to be inundated with multiple vegetarian restaurant openings

I read that CoOp may take over Costcutter, which would mean that the small shop (whose shutters are increasingly full of tagging that it refuses to take off or ask the council to do so) so that would mean two branches within yards of each other.

FHR could be nicer if the pavements were sorted out and that BT phone box removed. It is generally OK so I hope the shops trying hard to make it better can get some support.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Two new dessert places in Peckham. The Dairy Bar on Rye Lane and Creams on Peckham High Road. Also spotted A Taste of Afghan on Rye Lane which looks a new cheap addition to the neighbourhood.

On the down side, very sad to hear that The Hope is closing in its current incarnation. I think Antic Pubs have sold it on.

Creams is a franchise operation, I'm not expecting great things, but it's probably a nice treat for the kids occasionally.

We had a Taste of Afghan flyer through the door the other day, and it's also on Deliveroo... I'm not really familiar with Afghan food, but plenty of the dishes will look familiar to curry fans (karahi/biryani/tikka/etc). Lots of things seem to be available by the kg, and looking through the window, they seem to have some pretty large tables in there. So perhaps it's geared towards banqueting/catering? So maybe it's reasonably authentic stuff?

Only ever went in The Hope once. I liked the decor, board games, drinks selection... but it was absolutely empty, and we had a roast which was not particularly good...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> William Hill's shop by Superdrug has got a closing

> down sign in it's window.

Possibly because, like Sogim Pharmacy in same building, it's rent has been increased? This building (99-115 Lordship Lane) was sold a couple of years ago (I think to an investment group) - the advertising blurb ran:

"? Prime investment opportunity located in the gentrified* London suburb of Dulwich.? Multi-let parade to strong coverants for an average unexpired term of 11.4 years.? Re-based rental levels with strong prospects for future rental growth. ? Freehold. ? Total current income: ?199,750 pa.? Offers in excess of: ?2,515,000.? Net initial yield: 7.5%."

I think the new owners might be exploring those "strong prospects".

*It's official Lou!

I'm not sure if you can call Zone 2 a 'suburb'. Its hardly Kingston upon Thames.

Of course the vermin estate agents are trying to portray it as a bucolic utopia away from the grime and crime of 'real' London, when actually 1 mile up the road in Peckham there is large scale deprivation and visible poverty.

I doubt you'll find any hard border between urban and suburban London. But East Dulwich feels pretty suburban to me, in that it's pretty much entirely residential - with businesses only really servicing the local population. If it's not, then it sure as hell isn't far off.

Peckham, Camberwell, Brixton, Clapham, New Cross, all feel significantly less so.