New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I liked Duck Egg. I often went early and got good

> service and nice food, once even on the house. It

> is a shame it's gone. Wonder what will be there

> next?

good place for a fry up on a hangover! will miss this one.

They had the best range of breakfasts around- Kedgeree, Kippers, All the usual Eggs with Hollandaise offerings, omelettes, Mediterranean brekkies, Mexican breakfast etc etc. But also some peculiar practices (a hash brown and grilled tomato accompanying an Eggs Royale. Lose them both, no-one wants them and knock 50p off the price).

Also, and i've mentioned before, they filled old HP and Heinz Ketchup bottles with dirt cheap sauces. Only the greasiest of greasy spoons can get away with that old trick. Cheap and nasty tactics.

But, they were always busy at weekend brunchtimes and one girl in particular made a very good coffee too.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> The sign said something about it becoming 'A

> Fabulous Little Place' (or something like that),

> which the way it was written gave the impression

> that this might literally the name of the new

> venture. I hope not, or I will never visit on

> principle.

Haha! I support this view wholeheartedly.

titch juicy Wrote:

> Also, and i've mentioned before, they filled old

> HP and Heinz Ketchup bottles with dirt cheap

> sauces. Only the greasiest of greasy spoons can

> get away with that old trick. Cheap and nasty

> tactics.

That's worse than calling yourself 'A Fabulous Little Place'.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> The sign said something about it becoming 'A

> Fabulous Little Place' (or something like that),

> which the way it was written gave the impression

> that this might literally the name of the new

> venture. I hope not, or I will never visit on

> principle.

They seem to have changed the sign now to remove that part.

I agree, that was the way I read it as well, that that was to be the name of the place - "Something Wonderful" or words to that effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted it in 'ED businesses...' etc. but for those who don't trawl (I said trawl) the forum fully I just wanted to mention that the Butcher's Shop opposite the Plough is closing tomorrow (Sat 10th June) so regular customers might want to drop by to wish him well (he's off to Bromley).

Still plenty in the shop (though he's been running down the stock prior to move) so you have until 5pm tomorrow.

We went to Made of Dough last nite on Bellenden Road. The place was Beautiful (failed) Pizza Boy previously,

Jolly fun it was too, all lively and just how a lively new Peckham pizza place should be

Good music and drinks, and nice guys that actually own and run it, running it and 'owning' it too.

The pizzas were hot and round and tasty, just like pizza should be.

The drinks were wet and drinky like.

It's nice !

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/restaurants/made-of-dough-launch-peckham-restaurant-with-a-cocktail-bar-and-halfprice-booze-a3534271.html

Back to the 'Duck egg' unsurprised its closed went there once it was awful.

Went back to give them a second chance (any buisiness can have an off day-and though I won't condone it in a large chain or expensive place I tend to give local buisiness the benefit of the doubt)

Was again awful with grim cheap cheap cheap sauces.

Louisa Wrote:

> Mothercare in Peckham closed down. What's replacing it?

That really is a shame... for about a year after having our daughter, that was probably the most useful shop in Peckham. Especially as the large Mothercare on Old Kent Rd is also closed now.

Seabag Wrote:

> We went to Made of Dough last nite on Bellenden

> Road. The place was Beautiful (failed) Pizza Boy

> previously,

Look forward to trying it.. I notice that the Pedler team were describing BPB as a "pop-up" which had come to an end, but the truth is that it really wasn't very good. Pizzas with sloppy centres and thin watery sauce. Sounds like the new guys have got it right. (I like Pizza Pickup too, and makes a change from the ubiquitous sourdough base)

So having lost the branch on the Old Kentr Road about 18 months ago, we now lose the Peckham branch, bad news for people in and around Peckham, nearest other branches are now either Brixton or Lewisham.

Louisa Wrote:

> Mothercare in Peckham closed down. What's

> replacing it?

>

> Louisa.

Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself - I'm Angus the owner of Firefly which some of you will have noticed is a new shop at 325 Underhill Road.

After a lot of planning I'm very proud to announce that we are now officially open for business!

We are selling wood burning stoves and a variety of BBQs, pizza ovens, fire pits and all the ancillary items such as kiln dried logs, high quality charcoal as well as candles, books, lighting, accessories and more.

I'm an ED local and I love fire, for heating and for cooking on. The whole ethos of Firefly will be on service and consultation so I'm more than happy to advise on what might work best for you. For example will you use the amazing Kamado Joe ceramic BBQ/Oven or the exclusive Kudu Braai which arrived today and for which we are the sole UK retail outlet.

I hope you get the chance to pop into our shop for a browse and a quick chat. We are less than 5 mins walk from Lordship Lane or Northcross Road market.

Alternatively please feel free to post or private message me on here with any queries and I promise to get back to you asap. Our website is under construction and will go live very soon.

I'm attaching a couple of photos here of our latest arrivals and we have some great charcoal if you're BBQing up a feast for friends and family this weekend.

We hope to be of service to you soon, and enjoy the sunshine!

Angus and the Firefly team.