New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

katanita Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Kanella sounds great.

>

> Had a very tasty shake yesterday at the new cafe

> (I think it's called Homemade?) on Northcross

> Road. They have a lovely sounding juice menu and

> the cakes looked good so will be back in. Didn't

> look at the rest of the menu though, anyone tried

> it?

Ate a v good lunch there recently, had their special of sausage & bean ragout, well made and a decent portion; my wife enjoyed her salad w. chorizo and (not quite enough) goat's cheese ... service was friendly and efficient

DuncanW Wrote:

> Looks like the former Dead Dolls House/Clayton

> Arms is to become the Prince of Peckham

>

>

Good Luck to them - that's been a difficult pub to get footfall recently.

The only pub I've ever been in (pre Dolls House) where nobody was there (including staff), just me.

redjam Wrote:

> >

> > Walking past the other day it

> > wasn't obviously open.

>

> I agree - Kanella & Co needs a bit more 'presence'

> from the street. But it looks great inside -

> popped in Saturday for a nose and it's a lovely

> space. Hope it does well.

The signs are gonna go up next Friday and its going to be more visible.

Atm its open, but its pre-launch kind of thing.

The doors and the windows also can open making the space open during the summer for both indoors and outdoors fun.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Anyone been to this place (Queens Rd Peckham)?

> http://meetdistrict.co.uk

>

> Steaks and burgers... could be interesting.

> Despite the abysmal name.

Their website is down, but from their facebook page i can tell you i won't be visiting until they start using plates. Everything served on flat slates. There's absolutely no need.

We have eaten at Meet District a couple of times and I would recommend. Food tastes good, not really fussed about crockery but then I've been known to drink wine out of mug in an emergency.

Service is a bit hit and miss but I put this down to early teething problems and I'm sure it'll improve. Very friendly owners.

I had expected it to be a bit of a trendy Peddler clone, but it had a more local feel than that to me.

Worth a look anyway

Scrap that, i've found one.

https://www.opentable.co.uk/r/meet-district-london

?16 for a bacon cheeseburger.

I get a bit sick of moaning about prices for things like this- I'm fully aware that I sound like a broken record, but seriously, how have they got the gumption to charge that?

Do a search on London's best burgers and Time Out comes back with the top 15. The only ones over a tenner and around ?16 are from a Neil Rankin restaurant and at the Mandarin Oriental.

titch juicy Wrote:

> ?16 for a bacon cheeseburger.

Queens bacon cheese burger : ?13.75

(although that's still steep... bacon cheeseburger + fries comes in at ?12 from Meat Liquor, and I consider that fairly pricey)

Jeremy Wrote:

> titch juicy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ?16 for a bacon cheeseburger.

>

> Queens bacon cheese burger : ?13.75

>

> (although that's still steep... bacon cheeseburger

> + fries comes in at ?12 from Meat Liquor, and I

> consider that fairly pricey)

You're right sorry. It seems that adding red onions puts ?2 on the price.

It amazes me that Honest Burger's signature burger (The Honest Burger- patty, red onion relish, smokey bacon, mature cheddar, pickles, lettuce), made with 32 day aged sirloin from Ginger Pig, which for me is the best burger in London comes in at ?10.75, which includes a full portion of their amazing Rosemary Salted fries.

That is surely a good benchmark price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Titch, I agree ?16 for a cheeseburger is absolutely ludicrous!

You might be interested to know, as you mention Ginger Pig meat (and sorry for the self plugging here) that I've just started a Breakfast sandwich pop up at Peckham Square on Saturdays. And as its the best, we source all our meat and eggs from The Ginger Pig, and Brioche from Sophoclese in Camberwell. And the best bit is that we are charging only ?5 a bap!

The name is Dirty Baps and we're all about good quality breakfast sandwiches with runny free range yolks and exquisite sauces. If you're interested check us on instagram @dirtybaps for updates

Again sorry for the shameless self plug. Hope you dont mind. New venture needs promotion ;)

• 2 weeks later...
New little place on Rye Lane, corner of cut through to Sternhall Lane, in the old cake shop. Nice little refurb and now the London Meatball Co. meatballs (surprise surprise) but other things too. We had a very nice chicken, bacon and pesto sarnie, and a veggie breakfast with grilled halloumi.

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

> *paging Louisa*

Thanks for the heads up HMB.

I'm monitoring the situation closely.

It seems to me that the 16 quid burger phenomenon isn't such a stretch from reality after all. Tried Honest, average for me. If you order a side of onion rings and drink you'll easily exceed the 16 quid mark. Lots of people on here banging on about how amazing Honest Burger is, I've tried it. The chips are over salted, the burgers are average and when I specifically ask for my meat to be well done I don't expect it to be pink in the middle still. That was my experience at the Peckham branch last week. Service was good, but food average. The only thing I enjoyed was the lemonade drink with a paper straw (for novelty value). I think I ordered the Dalston Burger? It came with spicy bacon inside. Nothing spectacular. I really don't get the fascination with posh burgers. Genuinely.

Louisa.

Anyone know what the shops between the cinema and the butcher will become? Three units (old burnt out building, laundrette and Irish shop are all vacant / being gutted so I was wondering if a larger retailer was going to take them all? The Picture House was initially trying to get the Irush shop so they could expand but I don't know if they've been successful!

Sorry if the news on this is elsewhere. I just had a new baby a few weeks ago so have fallen off the local forum gossip!

Went to Dirty Baps on Peckham Square over the weekend - if you don't like paying ?16 for a burger (who does) then seriously check this place out. Hope he finds a perm residency in the area and keeps the baps at ?5!

ozharborth Wrote:

> Hi Titch, I agree ?16 for a cheeseburger is

> absolutely ludicrous!

>

> You might be interested to know, as you mention

> Ginger Pig meat (and sorry for the self plugging

> here) that I've just started a Breakfast sandwich

> pop up at Peckham Square on Saturdays. And as its

> the best, we source all our meat and eggs from The

> Ginger Pig, and Brioche from Sophoclese in

> Camberwell. And the best bit is that we are

> charging only ?5 a bap!

> The name is Dirty Baps and we're all about good

> quality breakfast sandwiches with runny free range

> yolks and exquisite sauces. If you're interested

> check us on instagram @dirtybaps for updates

>

> Again sorry for the shameless self plug. Hope you

> dont mind. New venture needs promotion ;)

• 3 weeks later...