New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

We ate in Pizza Pickup on the weekend. Quite nice pizzas.. crispy and thin, rather than the chewier sourdough type. Will be going back, and TBH I much preferred it to a certain other new pizza place nearby. Although perhaps a little expensive.. IMO.

JJ@260 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems a shame to open a vet on a main high street,

> would have been a great spot for a new independent

> restaurant.

It's a shame that they had to move from their current location opposite the park. It'll be much more difficult to take the cat there without parking.

Nigello Wrote:

> Cafe Viva has closed and has been for about two

> weeks at least. It is going to reopen as an

> extension to Miss Tapas and will service

> breakfasts which will be both British and Spanish,

> according to the (Spanish) man at Miss Tapas

> today.

The guy who owned the pet shop in North Cross Road told me it had been a struggle for a while, he was unable to compete with the supermarkets and online so I guess running a pet shop is just not viable these days. Shame, there are very few pet shops about now.

Anyone know when Turtle Bay will be opening their new branch in Peckham? A planning application went through but no news yet.

Also, the mini Sainsbury's in Dulwich Village will NOT be going ahead. Dulwich Society says the estate is actively looking for a permananent supermarket option, but an extension will be added at the back to give more shop floor space. In the meantime a pop up boutique, independent, will be taking on the space.

Louisa.

Vets definitely closing on the Rye, Spoke to one of the founders and they have to move as the building is being demolished... we have already started using the Crofton park one, easy to park by, and better for us travel wise from where we live then going to Lordship lane.

I think it will be a great addition to the lane though, especially if it stills sells pet food and products like the PR one.

• 2 weeks later...
On Vestry Road in Camberwell, a new middle eastern cafe has opened up that does excellent and good value food like meze and baklava - i have not been yet but my other half is raving about it. Its slightly off usual beaten track for footfall but is well worth a visit.

Sticking with the recent Camberwell focus, there is a new caf?/bar/roastery due to open at the end of March. Called Spike and Earl it is another venture by Peckham's Old Spike Roastery. It will be in the old Southwark Town Hall building which has recently been redeveloped into student accommodation.

I had really good pizza at Pizza Pickup on Rye Lane - thinner and crispier than the Naples/sourdough style at a lot of other local places. They seem to be very quiet, which is a shame, and a bit of a surprise given the number of decent food places in the immediate area.

• 2 weeks later...

early_doors Wrote:

> Brick House Bakery is opening a new cafe/bar by

> Peckham Rye station this month. It's in the old

> Baba unit.

It opened this week (card only and limited menu) and signs said a larger breakfast/lunch/dinner menu coming soon. I had a pastry and coffee this morning and it was really good. It only has bar stools/counters so probably wont be taking custom from Andersons & co but a great takeaway option.