New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is Mrs Robinsons leaving us?

I thought there was a post on here a while back saying the shop which sells clothes was closing?

Can't remember if it was being combined with the shop over the road though.

I'll be gutted if Mrs R closes down - it's one of my favourite quirky shops in ED. Yes, the clothes offshoot over the road has recently been closed but I'd thought it was being amalgamated back into the main one. Really hope this doesn't come to pass.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Acorn Commercial have the premises up for sale

> with vacant possession.

I'm completely bemused by the picture in the attachment.

Isn't Mrs Robinson on the other corner of the road? Has the photo been reversed?

And sorry, I hadn't properly looked at the picture and thought you were referring to the clothes shop. Hadn't realised that had already been closed.

They may have been here for a while, but tbh I still have no idea what this place even sells. It seems like the chain takeover of the area was always on the cards after the arrival of the cinema and marks. Not sure how big this unit is, but I reckon it would be suitably sized for one of the various chains still interested in the neighbourhood.

Louisa.

The agent's description is below - the photo is of the building which contains Mrs Robinsons and several flats. Price is ?1.85M

I thought more often than not commercial properties are sold with tenants in place so no reason to assume Mrs Robinson is closing.

Property Description

A rare opportunity to acquire a substantial, unbroken mixed-use freehold located in a prominent position on Lordship Lane. The property comprises a ground floor retail unit measuring c.1,600 sqft which is currently let on an agreement which is holding over to popular retailer ?Mrs Robinsons?, 2 x 3 bedroom flats and 1 x 4 bedroom flat all currently let on AST?s. The three bedroom flats are side-access on Blackwater Street whilst the 4 bedroom flat is rear access through a private courtyard also on Blackwater Street.

edhistory Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> The lease of the retail unit expired in 2009.

>

> The sales brochure page 3 says "vacant freehold

> interest"

Forgive my ignorance of leases, but if it expired in 2009 how come Mrs Robinson is still there?

Was it temporarily extended or something?

"....currently let on an agreement which is holding over to popular retailer ?Mrs Robinsons?,"

....."holding over" means the agreed fixed term has come to an end but tenant has stayed, and is still paying rent, which landlord has accepted. No current lease does make the position more precarious for the tenant.

I suspect that a 'held-over' lease allows the freeholder to sell with fewer constraints, the new owner may choose to negotiate a further lease (if they believe that this is the best option for them) or to give notice. So the freehold can be sold with no real encumbrance, but the purchaser has an immediate tenant if they should want one. For 'Mrs Robinson' I assume that the benefit has been an extended lease at the same rental as previously - for which they have traded security of tenure. My guess is that the 'held-over' lease terms (as it were) would include a standard notice period. So 'Mrs Robinson' will probably continue to trade as before, at least until the sale and the end of any notice period and possibly beyond. It must be of some interest to 'Mrs Robinson' to consider purchasing the freehold themselves. They would get their premises rent free together with the flat rentals, effectively a return of ?79k a year (flat rentals plus saved own rental cost - and in fact possibly better than that if you assume that rents are rising in the area anyway).

The vacant possession would apply to the flats let on Assured Short Holders, notice would have been served on them.

Mrs Robinson would be 'a secure tenant' with L & T 1954 Act protections. They would be entitled to 'hold over' their lease until such time as terms were agreed, either by agreement or court. Unless Mrs R serves notice under the act, they'll still be around whoever the freeholder is.

• 2 weeks later...