What is it with drivers and pedestrian crossings in this country!!???

Strawbs

Strawbs - funnily enough that was something that I wanted to moan about myself having nearly been run over yesterday morning by some grim faced woman who was obviously soooo important that 10 seconds of her time was far far far more important than my life.

Just stride out and look purposeful. Don't acknowledge them, either. It's the law that they have to stop, so why wave cheerily as if to thank them? You don't thank people for not coshing you on the head with a lead pipe or kidnapping you and tying you up with barbed wire, so need to do the same for those who stop at the zebra for you. And if someone in a van with a phone number on it races through a zebra, phone them up and tell their boss. It is VERY satisfying. Nero

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just stride out and look purposeful. Don't

> acknowledge them, either. It's the law that they

> have to stop.

Nero, how are you still alive? Seriously. Strawbs, don't listen to Nero! There's no point being right if you're in hospital.

I will place one foot on the crossing and only venture further once the oncoming car (and the one behind it) have stopped. I think they should take the zebra crossings away and replace them with lights. I've been here long enough to remember when there were zebra crossings outside of Iceland and further on up by the police station. I have much more confidence in the lights; and they only take a few seconds to turn red once you've pushed the button.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just stride out and look purposeful. Don't

> acknowledge them, either. It's the law that they

> have to stop.

Nero, how are you still alive? Seriously.

You will soon turn from "Nero" to "Zero" if you continue with that belief.:(

Like the bit about "Don't wave cheerily or acknowledge them as they stop"...

What an absolutely MARVELLOUS attitude!

So VERY London 2009!

p.s I simply MUST remember that when I visit my Dentist soon as "by law" he HAS to remove my teeth as I have paid him etc..I MUST remember NOT to acknowledge or Thank him afterwards!

This is EXACTLY the attitude that makes one swell with pride about living in/near our great Capital....no wonder my best M8(from London) is buying a place next to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls at the moment to rediscover "civility" and "good manners" his words which I agree 100% with:)

Drivers who don't stop at pedestrian crossing when there's someone waiting

... and

Pedestrians who start to cross expecting cars to stop regardless of distance

... Two sides of the same coin.

Not really.

Drivers who don't stop at pedestrian crossing when there's someone waiting

Inconsiderate rude gits.

Pedestrians who start to cross expecting cars to stop regardless of distance

Just a bit stupid. (assuming they're walking out when the car is more or less on top of them).

Basically I'm with you strawbs!

Oh, and agree with Tony that it is polite to give a wave to the car that stops for you. I also tend to scream "Wan*er" and give the finger to the ones that don't.

carrying a six foot long box on my head (I know, I know...) yesterday from top end of LL to East Dulwich grove, this absolute twonk of a guy was paying no attention as he turned off LL in his totally-necessary-I'm-sure 4x4. And he was on his mobile. And he was absolutely mahoosive. I had stopped, expecting him to let me cross but he nearly hit me because of the box anyway

But the red mist had descended - I was genuinely hoping he would catch my eye so we could "have a chat" - but he just ploughed on. Hope he didn't knock anyone over