Foxes on Thompson Road

seanmlow

What with cat shit infesting every garden and dog shit smeared on every street it's a wonder any child of East Dulwich manages to reach adulthood.

Still not seeing why cats are pet lite (other than just a snorksinahuff windup mechanism)? Other than being taken for a walk they still need lots of love and care.

Since there are lots of cat experts on here, Can I ask a quick question?

My sister when she was younger wore my mum down to get a kitten, and mum gave in and let her get a kitten ( despite the fact that we live in a maisonette and have no direct access to the back garden).

The cat ( male) was snipped when he was a kitten, which was about 5 years ago I think, and naturally we have a cat litter indoors that gets changed all the time, but he still keeps weeing and pooing in certain parts of the house ( by the front door and by the window in the hallway is his favourite place) we have removed wooden floors, replaced it with tiles in order for the smell not to sink in and make him keep going to the same spot but it does not work, he still keeps spraying and pooing. We have used vinegar, all means of sprays and chemicals that are meant to deter cats to no avail.

He still uses his litter tray but he still likes to poo and wee, WHY?!! We took him to the vet on numerous occasions and they said he is fine and there is nothing they can do.

I am getting so fed up with the pooing and being pregnant , I am not enjoying having to clean the poo by the front door. My mum won't get rid of it because she is attached to it now ( fair enough) but it is getting embarrassing because by the door does smell of cat wee!

We used have foxes coming up to the front door and pooing outside the front door also but that has not happened in a long time , must be the cat and foxes marking their territory!

I am never getting a cat, too much hard work for my liking!

Any advice?

There are plenty of reasons why a cat might go outside a litterbox. The most common is a urinary tract infection, but if you've been to the vets, I guess they have discounted this (and he's not just wee'ing outside the box).

Main things to think about:

How clean is the litter in the box, does your mother regularly scoop it? Cats don't like messy or smelly litter. She might also try a different litter - a natural one like World's best cat litter, to see if that may be part of the issue.

Cats may also stop using the litter box because of where it is located. Is the litter box somewhere quiet and out of the way? Can you get a cover for it if you don't have one already?

Also is the litter box upstairs and the cat peeing downstairs? A lot of cats will find a place to urinate if the litter box is on a different level of the house then what they are on.

Things that generally get suggested for this kind of thing is to make areas where the cat has been using the bathroom unattractive by cleaning with citrus scented cleansers or placing aluminum foil in the area (with some holes in the foil so the area can breathe).

Or, you can place a small travel type litter box in the areas where the cat has been urinating. When the cats has successfully used the box for at least a few weeks start moving the box to a more desirable location, but do not move the box more then a few inches per day.

How come I never hear anyone defending their right for their dog to lay an egg in the street?

Pets, assumptions and the class divide in ED

cat owner lets cat shit everywhere in ED = likely middle class, so not a problem - its only natural and cats are very clean blah blah blah

dog owner lets dog shit in street = working class most likely, and probably a devil dog of some sort - drive them out yadda yadda yadda

/ turns off snorky windup mode

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are plenty of reasons why a cat might go

> outside a litterbox. The most common is a urinary

> tract infection, but if you've been to the vets, I

> guess they have discounted this (and he's not just

> wee'ing outside the box).

>

> Main things to think about:

>

> How clean is the litter in the box, does your

> mother regularly scoop it? Cats don't like messy

> or smelly litter. She might also try a different

> litter - a natural one like World's best cat

> litter, to see if that may be part of the issue.

>

> Cats may also stop using the litter box because of

> where it is located. Is the litter box somewhere

> quiet and out of the way? Can you get a cover for

> it if you don't have one already?

>

> Also is the litter box upstairs and the cat peeing

> downstairs? A lot of cats will find a place to

> urinate if the litter box is on a different level

> of the house then what they are on.

>

>

> Things that generally get suggested for this kind

> of thing is to make areas where the cat has been

> using the bathroom unattractive by cleaning with

> citrus scented cleansers or placing aluminum foil

> in the area (with some holes in the foil so the

> area can breathe).

>

> Or, you can place a small travel type litter box

> in the areas where the cat has been urinating.

> When the cats has successfully used the box for at

> least a few weeks start moving the box to a more

> desirable location, but do not move the box more

> then a few inches per day.

Hi Sidhue and thanks for the reply, in answer to your questions:

The cat litter is very clean, my mum removes the poo every single day and cleans the litter tray constantly on a very regular basis, we have tried various different cat litters also and the cat prefers catsan ( I think that is the correct name) the other litters he would more poo often but with this litter I would say he poos roughly once a week.

The cat litter tray is covered and hidden under a work unit in the kitchen. He always goes toilet and eats in private.

The layout of our house is quite weird, we are on the top three floors of a maisonette, the front door is on the first floor, but apart from the front door and a broom cupboard there is nothing else on that floor , so up a loads of stairs and there is the kitchen, lounge , bedroom and hallway ( with tables and chairs) and the cat likes to wee in the hallway by the window where the table and chairs are.

And then another loads of stairs and there are three bedrooms and the bathroom. He has never weed or pooed on that floor, he just likes the front door ( which I don't understand why because it is freezing cold, there is nothing down there and the floor is just cold tiles!) and on the second floor where his cat litter is but in the hallway by the window!

We have tried various smellies and chemicals suggested by the pet shop and such but to no avail. The foil I have not heard of. My mum was thinking about getting more cat litter trays but since we have children always in this house we didn't really want to put another cat litter tray by the front door and by the dining table.

He is just the most stubborn defiant cat I have ever come across! ( He even managed to completely scratch up my mother's brand new leather sofas within days of her getting it, despite having a one of those scratching toys!).

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How come I never hear anyone defending their right

> for their dog to lay an egg in the street?

>

>

> Pets, assumptions and the class divide in ED

>

> cat owner lets cat shit everywhere in ED = likely

> middle class, so not a problem - its only natural

> and cats are very clean blah blah blah

>

> dog owner lets dog shit in street = working class

> most likely, and probably a devil dog of some sort

> - drive them out yadda yadda yadda

>

> / turns off snorky windup mode

Overplayed your hand just a fraction there M. le Snork. I don't think you'll get a bite today. Try the squatters thread again, perhaps.

Cate

I said I have turf in my garden i.e. grass and that is where my child will play (which is one reason why we put it down).

I do know that cats jump walls but I am saying mine dont. I have lived in this property for around 16 years and none of my cats have jumped the walls or roamed anywhere...maybe im just lucky and have homely cats who dont want to wander too far.

I did have a litter tray in my house but none of them wanted to use it so whats the point. Obviously your cat likes staying inside to do its toilet business...good for you. Not all cats are the same and if they want to go outside then I cant force them to do it in a litter tray.

I agree also with minder, at least cats cover their business outside unlike foxes.

Anyone want any advice on cats, then cate is obviously the cat expert and can probably tell you the ins and outs of why you should have a litter tray in your house even if your cat does not use it and they have access to the outside.

Whats ur suggestion for dog poo in the street cate or is your expertise only in cat shit trays?

As moo said, just because my way (and many others on here) is not the same as yours, doesnt mean we are wrong and no reason to have a go.

I