Street Cleaners of ED

Don't you think that the street cleaners of ED do a good job? I do, I am really impressed as the cleanliness of the streets and certainly every morning I see a guy working with real attention to detail on sweeping my road. I was so impressed in fact that I emailed Southwark Council to pass on my thanks. I am even working up to saying thanks to the guy I see every morning...oddly though I'm slightly worried what his reaction might be?! :-S

Dear Chartwell,

Er well, like NO - the streets in up around the Library/Plough are always filthy (too many take-away places combined with the sleaziest pub in ED). I am sure that some of the streets in ED are well cleaned but i guess it all depends where you live. I cycle through some residential parts of Forest Hill en route to work and am amazed how many times i see the street cleaners there - but then Lewisham claim they have the "cleanest streets in London".

Citizen

D'you know, like a reet sad b@$st@rd, I make it a personal mission to pick up empty drinks containers, take away boxes and general litter on the road. It takes a second, it's not really dirty, and yes, it shouldn't be there in the first place, but wow does it make a difference!

I hope people will try it (it kinda makes you feel a warm glow of social contribution afterwards, reward in itself!).

(BTW it's not because I'm geriatric with little better to do...)

Huguenot, you are a fellow eco-tramp. I very often pick up cans and placcy bottles (Coke, Polish lager, cider and Lucozade being the beverages of choice in Upper East Dulwich) and put them in either my or someone else's recycling bin. Likewise I collect those very visible red rubber bands some of our mucky mail-persons drop, and make them into rubber band balls. Does this trump enviro-grubbing as a sad endeavour? All thoughts welcome. Nero

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was a lad sweeping my street this morning,

> he seemed to be doing a reasonable job... but they

> could do with coming round a bit more often

> (something to do with the fact that I live a

> couple of doors from a pub, maybe).

have they cleared up all that broken glass yet?

Ten more laccy bands for the giant bouncy ball from one little trip to Blue Mountian this morning. The lil' boy is addicted. Thanks for the warning Jim-the-Chin. I'l check his pockets before I put the machine on - that's if I ever got round to doing the washing!

Citizen