William Rose Butchers

JamesG

you can see how confusion arises... I mean generally. If the devil is in the detail..

In fairness JamesG I agree with much of what you are saying in principle. I just haven't had anything like the experience you had.

As for british people being unable to complain, I wish that were true. In my experience british people like nothing better than to complain

Take away the complaints on here and all you'd be left with are recycled discussions about curry houses and 'The Song Game'.

I'm another one (of the many) who has no cause to complain about WR whatsoever.

I'll concede, however, that not everybody has the luxury of staying in their dressing gown until three and popping down for a weekday queue-free experience - and that Saturday might be a more edgy experience. Especially if you demand to know the provenance of the two Wild Boar sausages you're buying when there are a hundred people standing in the rain outside.

I don't know what it is with the 'I've queued patiently and now it's my turn and I'm going to take as long as possible thank you very much'but some people really do need a good boot up the arse. And for christ's sake, love, you've been in the queue all morning, how about getting your purse out before you get served instead of fumbling in your Bugaboo for it when you get asked for the money?

As for british people being unable to complain, I wish that were true. In my experience british people like nothing better than to complain

Re-entering the EDF fray I'd say that, on the whole, British people like to "whinge" but complaining face to face / one on one is something only a few are prepared to tackle.

I have no complaints whatsoever about WR - always receiving courteous, friendly service no matter whether I'm buying 1/2 lb of mince or a whole fillet of beef. I was a regular at Libretto on Wood Lane but welcomed WR opening and have been a regular there ever since. I'm recognised and as I usually like to discuss what I'm going to cook, seek their opinion and chat to others in the queue this may colour my views and reception there.

My experiences of William Rose have been very good except for the queues. The things that matter to me most (price and quality) are both excellent. Queues can be avoided if you don't go on a Saturday (admittedly difficult). I don't expect butchers to me my best mates so couldn't say whether they are rude or not. Also WR sell haggis which I love.

I also often go to a butcher in Nunhead called HA Smith & Sons (the one nearer the station). Quality of meat not as good as WR (they do free range chickens but no other organic). Fast service. Sometimes the meat is fantastic but its not always consistent (whereas WR is consistent) - still I much prefer HA Smith to any supermarket meat in terms of quality/price. The price is about the same as WR, not cheaper - the free range chickens are more expensive than WR but the non free-range chickens are very cheap. I know the guys there pretty well but I am sure some people consider them rude, but surely thats part and parcel of the genuine butcher experience, right?

Exactly, casamac.

The correct verbal exchange in "a butchers in SE22" should run as follows:

Customer: "Good morrow, Sir. And how are you today?"

Bill Butcher: "Stone me, lads - look 'oos 'ere!" (*turns to staff to pull a 'Joey' whilst crossing eyes*)

Customer: "May I know the provenance of your wild boar sausages, my good man?

Bill Butcher: "Lads. Eee wants to know what's in the snags" (raucous staff laughter follows) "Two sausages, call it ten pounds, mate."

Customer: "Thanks! I do so love this shop!" (exits)

Bill Butcher: (to staff) "Caaaant"

It's a great butchers. The people in there have always been nice to me. Queues aren't great obviously but just be happy to have such a good quality option in the area - it's worth the wait in my opinion. As for people not keen on the place, nobody is forcing you to shop there. :-)

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Exactly, casamac.

>

> The correct verbal exchange in "a butchers in

> SE22" should run as follows:

>

> Customer: "Good morrow, Sir. And how are you

> today?"

> Bill Butcher: "Stone me, lads - look 'oos 'ere!"

> (*turns to staff to pull a 'Joey' whilst crossing

> eyes*)

> Customer: "May I know the provenance of your wild

> boar sausages, my good man?

> Bill Butcher: "Lads. Eee wants to know what's in

> the snags" (raucous staff laughter follows) "Two

> sausages, call it ten pounds, mate."

> Customer: "Thanks! I do so love this shop!"

> (exits)

> Bill Butcher: (to staff) "Caaaant"

Bob, if you buy a chicken in there, do they ask you if you want stuffing?

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> I have just seen an advert on the telly. Lamb is

> only ?5 a kilo at Somerfield. you could nip in

> there and buy the lamb, take the wrapping off and

> re-wrap it in butchers paper, but it in your SNUB

> bag and walk past William Rose on the way home.

>

> Bargain assured and middle-class eco-warrior angst

> satisfied.

>

> Easy.

Yes MP - and as the wife gave you ?20 (minimum spend at WR for lamb) you could drift into the Bishop on the way home, buy 4 quick pints for ?12 and with ?3 left to return to said wife, everyone is happy.

Oh William ,Oh william ,where for art thou ,Oh cloven hoofed and swine d nose art thou that same william rose whom est Dulwitch

folks did loved time past...and now thinkd a pain int ar'e

Would thy be that William Rose......( weeping/wailing now...improv here )

We did we did love you...but now hateth ourselvs.....arghhh

( It's a bit hammy I know....but hey it's January...lighten up...scheeese)

Woof Grrrrrrr

Tried the van man on NCS and his beef was great (in fact the best ?next day cold cuts? I recall having) and very good value. Thank you for the advice, he is now my preferred butcher and WR is unlikely to see my money again.

Don't get me started on the Ginger Pig. My mum used to get our meat from him years ago when he was in Yorkshire. He got too big for his boots when he moved down South. I last used him a couple of years ago. Asked for two steaks, so he presented us with two that were about an inch and a half thick, and handed them to his assistant to pack them. I said that they were way to big, and the assistang got all nervous and said under her breath ``oh - he won't like that, I think you had better take them.'' I didn't and havn't been back. Farmer Sharp at Borough Market is just as good, and a nice bloke too.

if you're willing to head across to Herne Hill, then Walters Butchers by the station have done me a good service in the past (to the point of managing a special late Goose order on 20th Dec a year or so back). queues are generally much shorter than WR and the staff have always been good.

prices vary but it's been consistently the best quality meat I've had in London.

...and now I'm hungry!

If you dont want to queue then get there earlier, my personal experience is that the queing made worse by screaming kids and customers who drive from Dulwich and are complete t*ssers. Price wise two phesants for ?2.50 last week which seemd good. I got a joint for 6 people for ?12 which to me is not too bad.

tommyt Wrote:

> If you dont want to queue then get there earlier,

> my personal experience is that the queing made

> worse by screaming kids and customers who drive

> from Dulwich and are complete t*ssers. Price wise

> two phesants for ?2.50 last week which seemd good.

> I got a joint for 6 people for ?12 which to me is

> not too bad.

Two peasants for half a jacks? Bargain, considering the agricultural labour you can wring out of them.

I assume the joint must have been a very large 'Camberwell Carrot' in order to serve six heads.

Not too bad man, not too f@ckin' bad at all.

I may just be joining the WR staff and drug queue in the near future.

Thanks man.

The Van Man is The Man.

Last weekend had a great roast beef ("H bone" never heard of before) from him for ?10. Best ever cold cuts the next day we've ever had from beef (bold statement I know). Yesterday had an enormous goose which was brilliant. Not cheap but my fault for ordering it without asking the price first (silly I know). Also ordered a big shoulder of mutton (generally much better than lamb I think) for ?8.

He?s much friendlier than WR, more willing to talk about exactly what he?s selling and much better value for money from my esperience.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use william rose when the shop was Hesters in Vauxhall, when TFL made parking impossible I stopped using Dave and found Kim at Libretto and Daughters. I really like Dave the owner at WR and always had great service at Hesters but my experience at WR was not the same except if Dave or his wife served me, some of the new staff at WR were not knowledgable about butchery and I was not prepared to take a chance depending on who served me. Kim gives me a great product, service and I can also que and have a conversation with other carnivors, Kim knows what I like and will prepare the meat in whatever way I request but I must admit that I tailor my requests depending on how many other customer are behind me.

I have been into WR when short on time since using Kim but do not tell him otherwise I will have to explain myself on my next visit