Use the number 12 bus? Have a read.

Afternoon All.

Just a quick message to warn people of an incident that occurred on the

number 12 bus a few weeks ago.

It didn?t involve me but my female housemate who came in at midnight

hysterical about what had happened. She doesn?t really want to discuss it

or report it to Police (I?ve tried to persuade her believe me) but I thought I?d

warn the wonderful people of ED so there isn?t a repeat performance.

Basically, she was sitting on the back of the number 12 travelling down Barry

Rd. heading towards the Library when a youth, also on the back seat, obstructed

her from getting out and commenced a barrage of shocking abuse. He basically

called her everything under the Sun (I mean everything) and also made several

violent threats which I wont go into. The youth remained on the bus (and would

have presumably had to get off somewhere between Barry Road and the library)

whilst my housemate barged her way off and ran home.

I just wanted to share this with everyone as it makes my blood boil just writing this

and thought it prudent to share with other bus users.

On a more positive note, as a new ED resident I?m absolutely loving the area and

wished I?d moved here sooner.

Enjoy the winter sun!

Oliver

I really don't understand the mentality of her not making a report to the Police. The scumbag will build up his confidence and sooner or later may take it one step further with physical violence on some other innocent victim.

If your friend is not willing to help the Police then maybe you should start the ball rolling, if it's not too late, so Police can examine the evidence and any on-board CCTV footage that still exists.

I'm really sorry that your friend had such a horrible and distressing experience.

However, I agree with Matthew123, this really should be reported to the police and posting it on here is not likely to prevent this individual from doing it again or doing worse. The buses are covered in cctv and if he touched in with an oyster card the cctv images of him can be linked to an identity.

Does you friend say why she doesn't want to report it?

Dreadful to hear about this Oliver. Thanks for sharing this with the forum. Whilst I agree that it would be best to go to the police, your friend may have raasons for not wanting to do so. All you can do is support her, which I'm sure you're doing. She can always contact Victim Support, Southwark, who are very helpful, and provide counselling.

Sounds very unpleasant, UnderhillOliver.

This kind of thing does occasionally happen on the 12, always near the end of the line on a late bus when it's isolated, and always at the back because on a big long bendy-bus the driver may not even notice.

Personally, as the bus empties, I gradually move forwards (from around Rye Lane/P.Rye). I doubt the driver would jump to my rescue in a crisis, but it makes me feel safer somehow (If I'm doing the last stretch on the 197 instead, I move downstairs for the same reason). I would suggest doing this. Crucially, get back on the 12 asap, before using it again becomes a "thing".

Link in case your housemate wants to contact Southwark Victim Support

Glad to see this business hasn't put you off the area. Hope your housemate feels the same once the initial shock subsides.

And Matthew123, let's not blame a scared, shocked person for wanting the whole incident to just go away. Your point about growing confidence of a young nasty makes sense but however a victim wants to get over an incident is entirely up to them and guilting them forward won't make them feel any better.

The lower pressure suggestions above make sense too, but CCTV is grainy footage with no sound, and afforementioned young nasty only has to claim that you can't see when she stood on his foot or something, and he was retaliating, and the whole thing would fall apart: she feels just as shitty plus exposed.

Years ago I was at a tube station going through the turnstile when some thug tried to bunk in behind me on a freebie without a ticket. It had happened numerous occasions previously so on this occasion I paused on other side and let the turnstile shut him out. Anyway, he punched me in the shoulder and shouted some threatening abuse as I faced him other side of turnstile.

It did cross my mind that I'd face the lunatic sooner rather than later.. so later I filed a report with the Transport Police who some days later managed to track him down through the CCTV footage.

They did ring to ask if I wanted to press charges, I asked for the options and we settled on him being given an informal warning by the Police. For all I know he did the same thing the following week but I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

The number 12 bus is anything if not eventful, I just got it back this evening from Oxford Circus with a journey that had one lady under the effects of woodpecker cider who decided to wash the inside windows of the bus!! she then shouted a load of abuse at anyone who made eye conatct then we had a screaming child who tested the patience of another lady! whose langauge was a little too ripe to mention, this in turn woke up a elderly man at the back of the bus who decided to have a chat with his alter ego.

Not bad for a monday !!

LL

I too had an extraordinary journey on the no.12 on Sunday night.

A young man got on, terribly worked up, and proceeded to chant, or I believe it might have constituted a rap, incredibly aggressively for about twenty minutes without pausing for breath. I can actually still hear his voice as I type this....intermittently he would bang on the window threatening to kill someone on the street... watching him out of the corner of my eye, he seemed entirely on the edge - as if at any moment, the words would stop and he would be ready to act.

More than anything it left me feeling terribly sad that someone so young was clearly in such a dark confused place.

I use the 12 every day and you can always be sure of some random antics on it. Only last weekend some nutcase decided to get on then get off at the next stop and stand in front of the bus and chant rubbish at the driver. Then he got back on and started muttering racist stuff and being quite abusive to a woman, who from what I could tell was just minding her own business.

Always a pleasure, never a chore.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I too had an extraordinary journey on the no.12 on

> Sunday night.

> A young man got on, terribly worked up, and

> proceeded to chant, or I believe it might have

> constituted a rap, incredibly aggressively for

> about twenty minutes without pausing for breath.

> I can actually still hear his voice as I type

> this....intermittently he would bang on the window

> threatening to kill someone on the street...

> watching him out of the corner of my eye, he

> seemed entirely on the edge - as if at any moment,

> the words would stop and he would be ready to act.

>

>

> More than anything it left me feeling terribly sad

> that someone so young was clearly in such a dark

> confused place.

Sad indeed, but not uncommon on the 12. Could have been on crack, could have been mentally ill. There are people who need help, but who is going to help (more generally).

I've seen all sorts on that bus route, including quite blatant 'dealing'. I'm not particularly anti-drugs or anything, but just found it quite bizarre to witness dealer-dealer encounters on the bus in the middle of the evening rush hour.

There seems to be an ever increasing number of care in the community patients who plague public places and people who are trying to go about there daily business.

Sadly even in the remote possibility of him being caught in the act, nothing significant would happen to him.

Your friend needs to go and report this incident to the police. I understand she is probably very shocked but she will help herself and others by making a report to the East Dulwich police station. Sergeant Duncan Jackson is absolutely lovely and certainly will not disregard what she has to say.

Why such defeatism SteveT? The police might be able to help or they might not on this occasion. What is certain is that if she does not speak up, nothing will get done - that's for sure.