Is anyone else bothered by the group of teenagers in Goose Green playground?

theron

We have had problems with members of this group which were ethnically mixed ( white, Middle Eastern/Southern European/black in appearance, probably all British). I had words too after they threatened to punch my daughters face, at the time 6 yo girl on two different occasions. I tried to have words the first time but one of their teachers were present and the second time they refused to engage. Well, until I said that was their choice and I would deal with their school... (Wearing identifiable uniform) the abuse became daily, one would point, yell names at me as I walked past. I warned him I'd speak to school. He did, I did. It was stressful and my daughter still gets anxious if she sees him. School dealt with him swiftly and effectively and I warned if he continued harassing me I'd report him to police. The onside school officer reiterated they'd same. To be fair no problems since.

It really ought to be a police matter; those who babble about parallel reality?s and that they are only kids are part of the problem here (as are the parents).

Have all these incidents been reported? Which school do they go to?

To be honest you probably get more bang for your bucks going

through the school if you want rid.

Sophron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It really ought to be a police matter; those who

> babble about parallel reality?s and that they are

> only kids are part of the problem here (as are the

> parents).

>

> Have all these incidents been reported? Which

> school do they go to?

Otta Wrote:

> My God, if someone threatened to punch my daughter

> I'd have to bite down really hard on something.

> And I'm not a tough violent type, but FFS!

One of these days he'll incur the wrath of a 6'3 rugby-playing dad, who will be less reluctant than you or I to kick the living crap out of the kid on the spot. And I wouldn't blame him for one second.

Saying that, quite possible that he's in need of some serious help (preferably the kind that involes a straitjacket).

Still getting a giggle out of this.

aquarius moon Wrote:

> Unfortunately there are always going to be groups

> of teenagers in playgrounds. They are bored

> through lack of work or nothing to do.

> I'm sure they are not there every day so maybe

> just check it out first & if they are there, go

> somewhere else.

>

> If you do encounter them again, might be a good

> idea to have a more positive rather than negative

> attitude:

>

> Ask for their advice re: footballing skills if the

> ball runs into their territory. Do they know

> anything about goalkeeping? Ask what teams they

> support etc etc.

>

> Always best to befriend rather than make enemies

> of if you feel threatened.

>

> You never know, they might actually enjoy engaging

> rather than antagonising if it's just a case of

> having nothing better to do.

You may be surprised to learn that I have actually visited a playground.

I used to take my children there all the time on the council estate where they were brought up. (Not that long ago)

Where the 14/15 year old wannabe gangsters all hung out because they had nowhere better to go. They were rude, abusive & threatening. Whenever they arrived, mum's with kids made a swift exit.

However, I made conversation with a few of them once who just happened to be there on their own. We talked about football, dogs, (can't remember what else) but they were quite happy to engage in conversation with both myself & the children.

Next time we were at the playground, the whole group walked in. They kept looking over, obviously wanting to cause trouble if we didn't leave when I heard one of them say 'She's OK, leave her alone.'

From then on they never bothered us.

That's what I meant by my comment that it's sometimes better to befriend than make enemies of, if you feel threatened.

Those 14/15 year olds would soon be turning into the 16/18 year old gang members that ruled my estate. That was inevitable.

Where you risked having your head kicked in if you so much as looked at them the wrong way.

The same ones who set my flat on fire.

So to CocoC, New Wave, lounge lizard and Tr? who find my post so ridiculous, na?ve & hilariously funny.............

You really haven't a clue.

So aquarius moon what you are basically saying is, everyone should try and engage with these thugs and get on their 'good side' so as to avoid violence further down the line? What is this, the Bronx? They should be taught right from wrong at a young age and shown that if they act out of line in a children's play area or anywhere else for that matter, the law will come down heavily on them so they don't do it again. The other 95% of children who grow up in equal hardship (which I'm presuming here but they well be from decent family background) don't take this aggressive route, why should these kids be allowed to get away with it? Makes me sick.

Louisa.

I think quite a few people on here clearly HAVE done something, going on these anecdotes. The point of the thread was to share experiences and advice, and the most frequent (sensible) suggestion has been to involve the police on some level. I think this is definitely a good idea (mentioned previously the Safer Neighbourhoods Team) but I also think we should speak to one of the local councillors - James, if you're reading this - as they will probably have a firmer sense of the correct approach (e.g. is it community police or other). I'm happy to 'do something' but I don't frequent GG playground as much as I once did - hence having only encountered this group once - so I'm perhaps not as well qualified to explain the various problems to the police. I'll post on James Barber's thread in any case.

Tr? Wrote:

> What hysteria?

>

> And really there's no need to say that you'd have

> given them a piece of your mind. We're all well

> aware of what a brave, ne'er a step back, citizen

> you are.

>

It might appear that way, when compared to the recent influx of pampered wimps jumping with fear at all kinds of minor incidents, but in reality, it's just that I'm not scared of my own shadow.

Makes me sick too Louisa.

I suspect playgrounds in East Dulwich are different to playgrounds on council estates elsewhere.

I was just responding to posters who obviously have no idea of the difference & had no understanding of my original post. Sometimes you have to go against your instincts (report) & be nice/engage just to survive.

You obviously don't have a clue either. The law will come down heavily on them?! Not where I lived.

If the police were called, they all closed ranks. Nobody knew anything, nobody saw anything.

Because they were scared.

Tr? Wrote:

> What hysteria?

>

This Hyteria:

robbin Wrote:

> Feral low life. Let's not beat about the bush.

>

> Make apologies for them all you like, but that's

> what they are!

Just to be clear, when my daughter was threatened I contacted the school mainly because on the first occasion it happened one the teachers was coincidently in the playground and that she knew the names of the children involved. As their identities were known it made sense to go to them rather than phoning the police who would have difficulty identifying the correct people ( I did email the safer neighbourhood team to inform them of the goings on at the time) and the school and I agreed that their onsite police officer would talk to the boy and explain that he was legally harassing/ threatening others. The safer neighbourhood team may have taken actions but they have never contacted me or informed me of any action so I just don't know.

I guess the best thing to do is contact the safer neighbourhood team and perhaps local councillors if any anti social behaviour is experienced? Though, it would help if the safer neighbourhood teams improved their communication. If they are working on things they currently aren't getting any credit as people aren't aware they have taken any action. Equally, they may have done nothing....