East Dulwich Picturehouse and Caf?

VicCraven

"Dave that's the point the workers are asking for more than the minimum."

No, they're not. They're asking for LLW and asking others to back them on the basis that anything less is transparently inadequate and implicitly immoral. And as far as I can see, you are backing them on that basis. I don't know what current pay rates are but it has been suggested, and not contradicted, that P'house already pay more than other cinema chains which suggests they already pay more than minimum wage. I entirely respect the rights of staff to try and negotiate better terms, but it's between them and the employers, and they don't help themselves IMHO with a slightly disingenuous appeal for a boycott.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The street art scene is a poor attempt to get

> 'down with the kids'. If the kids from the council

> estate were involved and helping out with the

> project I'd have some sympathy, but judging by the

> pictures they're not are they? It's a very left of

> centre, right on thing to do- slightly

> embarrassing for those of us who just want a nice

> place to go and watch film at affordable prices.

>

> Louisa.

..and what about the commissioned street art next to peckhamplex that proudly boasts the help of local kids.....is this a local kids attempt to join the middle-class street art scene?

You have misunderstood. I was making several points, none of which are woe be me. In fact, I'm saying my financial/living situation is my choice, the very opposite of woe be me, simply an example of the world/financial sitaution that we live in.

Firstly, earning LLW, or even far in excess of that does not guaruntee that you can afford to live here.

Secondly, living here, in a high cost area is a choice, your employer shouldn't be held responsible/hostage for that choice.

Thirdly, anyone with a job should, IMHO and in this economic environment, be grateful that they have one with a successful company that is paying them. Reference the high numbers of unemployed having no option but to take unpaid internships.

Lastly, striking and causing that successful company to lose revenue is only harming the future of the employees. Demanding more money whilst negativly impacting on revenue has always struck me as a very odd way to go about things.

OH and for the naysayers, my parents are both unemployed, I have not so long ago been unemployed and I am an insolvency prefessional dealing with redundant employees on a day to day basis. My family members, myself in the past and most of the people I deal with daily would give their right arm for a job at the Rotzy, at whatever rate they are paying because its significantly more than benfits pay.

Cyclemonkey Wrote:

> Cedges what an odd post. You won't support people

> pushing for better pay because you don't get paid

> enough. The cinema workers are taking action to

> improve their pay, just as legitimate as leaving

> for a new job. How do you think most of the rights

> we all enjoy at work were won?

• 2 weeks later...

Todays Ritzy news;

A long-running pay dispute is set to be resolved after a breakthrough at peace talks. Bectu has said that it will recommend acceptance of a new offer by Picturehouse.

Staff are being offered an immediate pay rise from #7.35 an hour to #8, rising in stages to the London Living Wage of #8.80 in September 2015.

worldwiser Wrote:

> Why do the staff of the new cinema have to live in

> East Dulwich? There are many arguments that can be

> put in favour of the LLW, but that's not one of

> them. Do you imagine the shopstaff of Harrods live

> in Knightsbridge?

It doesn't matter if they live in ED, Peckham, Brixton or anywhere else, they deserve more than ?6.50 an hour.

• 4 weeks later...

It was great to meet some of the people behind the Picturehouse Cinema group on Saturday at the North Cross Road market.

They are going to be there every Saturday outside 15 North Cross Road, so pop down and find out more about joining the membership scheme (the currently available founder membership is huge value for money) and generally find out all about the exciting new cinema.

I'm not certain if this will be happening every week, but I did see someone walk off with a free novel and DVD!

Vic :)

The Ritzy workers have rejected the proposed deal (I think because it didn't offer the London Living Wage). So I suppose the boycott continues.

For the people on here saying they should be grateful for work or should work elsewhere or shouldn't chose to live in a high-rent area:

The high rent area in question is called London.

Campaigning for change and organising to bring it about is part of democracy. 'Choice' is the language of the market. The two don't always go together. These are (I presume) young people who instead of rolling over or looking elsewhere organised to address an injustice. They didn't act as self-serving individuals, they acted together. They took on a stone-walling management and exposed a brand that had depicted itself as home-spun and neighbourly.

I worked at the Ritzy in the nineties and the pay was rubbish then but we never got it together to do anything meaningful about it. These guys did.

I won't be Picturehousing any time soon.

This from July 31st. So the workers rejected their union's recomendation?

"A long-running pay dispute by south London cinema workers over demands for a living wage is set to be resolved.

Union officials will recommend workers at Brixton?s Ritzy venue accept of a new offer by cinema owners Picturehouse, following months of industrial action.

Staff are being offered an immediate pay rise from ?7.35 an hour to ?8, rising in stages to the London Living Wage of ?8.80 in September 2015."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/agreement-reached-in-ritzy-cinema-living-wage-row-9641254.html

That's bigger than I thought it would be. It's impressive how much seating they are getting into the complex. From the outside I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Does anyone know much more about the food offering? I believe they were thinking of some kind of hot food bistro thing but haven't heard anymore details.

Louisa Wrote:

> I think they should bring in someone like Taco

> Bell with a small outlet. Ideal for a cinema.

>

> Louisa.

Crunchy taco shells. Burritos with rice and sauce falling out. Hot melted cheese.

Perfect for a cinema!

• 1 month later...

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> Pretty disgusted by picture houses move to make 20

> staff redundant at the ritzy despite signing an

> acas agreement promising working patterns would

> remain the same. Looks like punishment for living

> wage campaign.

Thanks for posting bawdy-nan. I read the Facebook page post on the proposed restructuring here: https://www.facebook.com/RitzyLivingWage

Apparently absolutely disgusting and cynical move by Picture House.

HP