oh blimey - dulwich bnp

bawdy-nan

I kind of think exposing the idiocy of many of their views by taking a truly liberal attitude towards freedom of speech and association is probably the best way forward..

I'm not sure that firing people from jobs on their political opinions unless you can prove that this in actuality effected their performance feels right to me?

On a sort of realted note - Did the muslim pc who refused to guard the Israeli embassy get fired or the lady magistrate who refused to marry the gay couple? I genuinely don't know if they did but Both of those seem like political/moral stances that contradict their contract of employment and their 'duty'.

Well that's the crux quids. Being a policeman involves the assumption that all are equal in the eyes of the law.

Piersy talked about 'repatriation' as a BNP strategy (not strictly correct, as 'send them home' for the majority of UK coloured people involves them staying in the UK). What the BNP discuss is resettlement of people of ethnic origin. That means skin colour.

That entails discrimination against people based on the colour of their skin, and isn't compatible with either equality or policing.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On a sort of realted note - Did the muslim pc who

> refused to guard the Israeli embassy get fired or

> the lady magistrate who refused to marry the gay

> couple? I genuinely don't know if they did but

> Both of those seem like political/moral stances

> that contradict their contract of employment and

> their 'duty'.

I would say that in both these cases, their bias means that they are not capable of serving the public, therefore they should not be in that job. Just my opinion...

Agree with Jeremy and what quids is getting at

But would add that isn't it strange how these stories hit our conciousness, tickle our prejudices and outrage neurons and then feck off back to the ether. Quids quoting two cases and then "genuinely not knowing" the outcome is all too common - I tried looking up the cases (albeit briefly) and couldn't find a conclusion either.

The registrar won her case and was allowed to refuse to carry out same-sex marriages/single partnerships.

In the case of the PC, he had not been ordered to guard the Israeli embassy but had simply requested not to be assigned there in the future. He feared that his family in Lebanon might become the targets of violence from those opposed to the Israel's foreign policies if his posting became known. His superiors agreed to his request.

People just can't see the wood for the trees sometimes as far as the police and countering the BNP is concerned.

Utilize old videos of 'Love Thy Neighbour' as a training resource.

Ensure that all police patrol in pairs. One black, one white.

The black officer deals with the 'nig-nogs', the white one with the 'honkies'.

If they happen to live next door to each other, and the white officer's views about black people are constantly being challenged by the sight of his colleague's wife in a bikini, then so much the better.

Come on, think outside the box. Snowflake.

No Quids, you've just argued yourself into a logical cul-de-sac, that's all.

The liberal aesthetic doesn't respond well to extremist positions, preferring freedom of speech to incitement of violence.

When faced with members of our community who want to legislate against people based on their skin colour, you don't give them a platform with social authority. They can still be typists, or just general losers. Whichever. Do typists still exist?

Physics has the same problem as liberalism, with universal laws getting chucked at the window at quantum level. ;-) They don't call me a pseud for nothing.

I do think it is wrong that this list was published for the many good reasons outlined by others already, but I have to say my desire for us to be in a country where free speech is allowed is tempered by my lack of sympathy for those who are genuine members of the BNP. My general principle of tolerance for others regardless of belief is really challenged when their main belief seems to be intolerance for others!

Slightly off topic observation, but I can't help thinking sometimes that freedom is one of those things we can have too much of. Isn't part of the reason we have this banking crisis because the banks had a bit too much freedom?

What I found amusing was the BNP leader saying he is going to use the Human Rights Act to enforce his right to privacy - but he would abolish it and pull out of Europe if he got into power. He actually got a bit confused about the European Convention on Human Rights though, thinking it was somthing to do with the European Community - but as we all learn in our first year at law school - they are totally seperate and unlike decisions passed down by the ECJ, the decisions of the ECtHR are pursuasive but not binding here in the UK.

Just kind of thought a leader of a political party really aught to know that!

My twopence on the whole BNP freedon of speech thing is that yes they should be allowed to practice free speech unless incitment to some kind of crime is part of that speech, but so should everyone else. If they can get up and say obnoxious things, we should all be allowed to get up and say obnoxious things - as long as there is no incitement to commit crime. The banned muslim organisations should be unbanned and we could all tell them that their ideas are wank too.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No Quids, you've just argued yourself into a

> logical cul-de-sac, that's all.

>

> The liberal aesthetic doesn't respond well to

> extremist positions, preferring freedom of speech

> to incitement of violence.

>

> When faced with members of our community who want

> to legislate against people based on their skin

> colour, you don't give them a platform with social

> authority. They can still be typists, or just

> general losers. Whichever. Do typists still

> exist?

>

> Physics has the same problem as liberalism, with

> universal laws getting chucked at the window at

> quantum level. ;-) They don't call me a pseud for

> nothing.

I'm sure they charge handsomely for the privilege, H.

But please keep it up, I enjoy reading things that I only quarter understand. I'll always take something from them.

I have after all read Finnegan's Wake. Or should that be bought Finnegan's Wake?

Now I think of it, perhaps bought.