Ladies Who Rummage Through Our Bins

Otta, are you missing the point about encouraging/normalising people to open your gate and come onto your property, rifling through your things - possibly in view of your children. Or worse, where no-one is in (and as a possibly recce of burglary/access).

It's not about the thrown out stuff, it's about the lack of invitation to search through it.

What's with the 'in view of your children' bit about? How does that make it worse?

And as for normalising behaviour, this appears to be normal for them anyway. Your normal doesn't dictate what is normal for anyone else.

If you don't care about anyone else's problems, then you are pretty selfish. Maybe if you ever end up on your arse, you'll have a bit more understanding.

I caught them outside our house recently, well, my 8 year old reported there was someone in the front garden. I confronted them, they carried on going through the bins for a couple of minutes saying they couldn't speak English and then sauntered off nextdoor where they did the same thing. I rang the non-emergency police number (101) and a couple of minutes later a Police transit van came up the road looking for them. I'd suggest it is therefore of concern to the police, if not a priority at busy times, and is probably worth bringing to their attention.

I have no idea what they're doing - I assumed it was looking for scrap or other items to sell, as it seemed a bit blatant to be doing this in broad daylight, but they could equally have been sifting the paperwork. Either way, if you're not happy to have people coming onto your property in this way, I'd suggest reporting it.

Seems like an opportune moment to plug these guys - http://www.sdcas.org.uk/ who operate some drop in centres in Southwark to help refugees and asylum seekers. They often take donations of old clothes, baby stuff etc so this is one way of helping those who are really in need.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's with the 'in view of your children' bit

> about? How does that make it worse?

>

> And as for normalising behaviour, this appears to

> be normal for them anyway. Your normal doesn't

> dictate what is normal for anyone else.

>

> If you don't care about anyone else's problems,

> then you are pretty selfish. Maybe if you ever

> end up on your arse, you'll have a bit more

> understanding.

Get over yourself and your own virtue. Perhaps if you had a notable front garden of your own (doesn't sound that way in the house price thread), you might not like the idea of strangers entering uninvited and going through your things.

And do you not agree that outside of what is most people's living room, the sight of strange ladies going through your bins is not a little odd and unnerving for kids?

By no means am I a "please think of the children" type - but this is not something people should have to put up with from their home, including their front garden, which should be their sanctuary. And yes that includes sanctuary from work, commuting, stress and the world's ills - not wanting someone going through your bins does not equate to not caring. We don't always have to live on heightened bleeding heart do-gooder alert.

Maybe you should think about charity beginning at home a tad more in fact (see other thread on property prices and income levels).

Lol, I have very important raspberries, a couple of remarkable nut trees, an outstanding plum tree and distinguished gooseberry bushes in my front garden.

And if I saw anyone rooting through my bins, I'd offer them whatever other unwanted things I had to hand. In fact I put an old metal framed bed outside my house near my bins, hoping someone interested in scrapping it would pass by. Within a few hours a guy in a white van turned up and started loading the bits into his van, so I offered him an old metal chair too.

If someone can make a few quid from things I have no use for, good luck to them and it saved me booking an appointment for the council to collect it.

Otta Wrote:

> What is a notable front garden?

One decent enough that you might be a tad bothered that strangers are poking around it, uninvited. If yours represents the tip already, that's another matter.

Otta Wrote:

> This from someone who told another poster to "get

> over yourself".

>

> So your issue is basically having a couple of

> Eastern European women in your front garden just

> makes the place look untidy. Right then.

It's having anybody there who I don't know, full stop - beyond bin men/postie. It's not a public space. Why is that so difficult to compute?

Well if it doesn't look cared for, or looks like a dumping ground/fox attack, then it doesn't discourage would-be entrants. Whereas a tidy one, important raspberries and all, might attract less drifters.

Otta ,

I think Cle is entitled to say that given that LadyD has no problems calling us , ignorant and selfish about not wanting people on our properties to root through our 'shit'.

Wrote:

> This from someone who told another poster to "get

> over yourself".

>

> So your issue is basically having a couple of

> Eastern European women in your front garden just

> makes the place look untidy. Right then.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I'm impressed so far: strangers, gyppos,

> trespassers, skanks, entrants, drifters.

>

>

> Might I suggest - 'rogues', 'vagrants' and 'ne'er

> do wells'?

Carnies and pikeys ended up on the cutting room floor, as did 'release the hounds' and 'put them to the sword'...

Jeremy Wrote:

> You can't justify rooting around someone's private

> property. It's just sanctimonious "worthier than

> thou" bollocks. And I couldn't care less where

> they come from.

I'm not trying to justify it, I just genuinely wouldn't really give a shit. Possibly because I've got nothing worth stealing.

One thing that occurs to me is that this kind of hostility towards two women who, by now, will be easily identified could lead to some passive aggressive, frustrated, little Englander to take it upon themselves to mete out a bit of 'well deserved' physical punishment after feeding their indignation and justification from the posts of the good people of the EDF.