Ladies Who Rummage Through Our Bins

Hello All,

I was brushing my teeth and looking out of my bathroom window when l saw two women with shopping trolleys. They stopped and rummaged through my three bins, l watched them cross the road and do the same. Obviously not having so far found buried treasure in their quest for booty, they disappeared up the road.

Surely this is illegal ? Can anyone shed any light or respond after having seen this kind of activity before.

Cheers :-)

there was a thread on here earlier this month on the same thing. Despite drawing to others attention that they're looking for bank statements etc. the usual do good - lets not think bad of anyone bods on here started crying out that they were entitled to act like data gaining wombles as 'they're not hurting anyone'

It's not just bank statements, it's any and all info they can piece together. You're not an idiot if you throw out anything at all that has your personal data on it. Some people grew up in more innocent times.

Bottom line is that these ladies ought not to be rummaging through your bins. And by way of a pre-emptive counter-strike, saying that does not make me a heartless Tory blow-in.

It's not just bank statements, it's any and all info they can piece together. You're not an idiot if you throw out anything at all that has your personal data on it. Some people grew up in more innocent times.

Bottom line is that these ladies ought not to be rummaging through your bins. And by way of a pre-emptive counter-strike, saying that does not make me a heartless Tory blow-in.

What have the Tories got to do with anything?

They shouldn't technically be going on to people's property, that I think is the issue. If a bin is on the pavement, I'm not sure they are doing anything illegal. They should wait til bin day and get out early!

I suspect they are after things with scrap value rather than personal data, but I've got no more proof of that than NunheadRising has that they're after your bank statements.

Ok to answer your question "how on earth do you know..." I personally saw two women doing this just off Nunhead Lane last year as i mentioned in the previous tread. I berated them for doing this to which they played dumb saying 'no english no english' and then buggered off at double quick pace. This has been a common reoccurring problem that many others have mentioned on this forum. It was quite clear what they were up to and not looking for clothes and shoes as others have suggested. I mentioned this to the police on the day but obviously unless they're captured in the process the onus is on individuals to make sure they don't discard personal data which could be used fraudulently.

I would be furious if anyone opened my gate and step onto my front garden to root through my bins .

It's the kind of behaviour the neighbourhood watch committee and Police would not encourage regardless of if it is innocent or not , the fact remains it's not polite and it's not their property .

They are welcomed to my rubbish once it's at the landfill but not via the grounds of my property . I don't think my child would feel safe watching strangers from the windows in our lounge loitering outside , I know that would certainly catch me by surprise.

Furthermore any items of value I do wish to give away , I leave it on my wall by the pavement with a note to help themselves so that there is no need to enter my front garden .

It's not just bank statements - even junk mail with your full name and address can be added to various other bits and bobs to build a profile of personal information. Another piece of junk might have your DOB on it for example, or phone number. Or log-ins to things such as wifi - or utility bills as proof of address. Endless.

Please let's not be so naive that they're poor cherubs awaiting some charity like Santa Claus the Movie. Get the f*** out of my front garden you robbing skanks...

I'd encourage anyone who sees this to take pictures quite blatantly so they'll know you're onto them, and your particular street may then be not safe for them to return to.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Beeb suggests it is still theft, even if it on

> the street.

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13037808

More recently, CPS dropped the case against 3 men who took food from an Iceland bin. So it's still a bit unclear. I agree with others about the validity of your bin being on your property.

As far as this being a modern problem, I disagree. I think as long as people have been throwing away personal stuff, other people have been rummaging it - for better or worse intentions.

It's an invasion of privacy, it's trespass on your property, the bin might belong to the council but it's your rubbish and I think it's pretty obvious that they shouldn't be doing it. If I see them I will tell them to F*** Off and take their picture and tell the police. It's not the Favella FFS.

Ugly, revolting, intolerant, EDF at it's best.

It's not the flavela? So being foreign and poor in another country is ok, but if you're foreign and poor in one of the richest countries on the planet (which is a lot more common than you probably think) then you must be condemned.

If they wanted bits of paper, they could use bags and be less conspicuous. How can anyone think they'd be looking for bits of paper with a shopping trolley?

And if any of you are worried about ID theft, rip off your name, address etc from any letters you want to throw away or recycle first, then you can rest assured the shopping trolley ladies can only take your old shoes or other such shit you've decided you no longer have any use for.

I also do not have shoes and other'such shit' in my bins because I take them to charity or give them away thus I don't want anyone rooting through my bins on my property . That is the part you are failing to understand , it's strangers , opening my gates, trespassing onto my property , rooting through my bins , in front of my windows where my child lives , they could be anyone. You don't know these ladies so let's not presume they are lovely , they just might not be .

Do you think the police would encourage that behaviour ?

It's none of anyone's business what is in anyone's bins. Caution about personal information is another matter, but so bloody what if I chuck some shoes or clothes which aren't suitable for a charity shop. My call, no-one's business.

Why don't they trawl the clothes dump in the Sainsbury's car park, if they're so concerned about shoes, rather than the slimmest probability a single bin contains discarded, in good nick and which fits them! What a laugh.

Lady Deliah, wake up. It's totally invasive and they have no right to be there. It's shocking that you think it's ok for strangers to root around peoples front gardens. They should not cross onto private property.

Their 'problems' are not mine and certainly the solutions for those problems and the mechanisms to help are not to be found on other people's residential property - even if they were genuine, which I don't believe for a second. Let's say it - gyppo behaviour and opportunistic thievery, nothing more.

No one knows for sure what their intentions are. I was guessing scrap after watching Benefits Street where a family of Romanians were basically going around collecting scrap, and other residents were moaning because they'd gone through bin bags and stuff.

Of course I don't KNOW that that's what they're doing, but it's just as likely (or more so) as looking for personal info.

Either way, I honestly just don't get why people are so upset about people going through their bloody bins. So what, it's the shit you've thrown out.