Concrete House

geh

Funnily enough I met the Chief Exec of Architectural Heritage Fund on Friday afternoon and he controls lots of money for funding restoration projects. Is the building still in the hands of the owner or the council?

• 4 months later...

I've just heard that Southwark council have compulsory purchased a grade II listed building in Kennington Park Road to stop it falling into disrepair and I was wondering if anything came of the above discussions to get a campaign together to save the LL concrete house. Does anyone know?

Tom, SLP

I walked past today and noticed that there is a public notice from the council up, dated 12 September and saying that they have received an application for planning permission to demolish 549 Lordship Lane, which is a grade 2 listed building, and put up 6 self contained housing units (which I?m assuming is developer speak for flats.)

It went on to say that the council are of the opinion that planning permission should not be granted.

The reference if you want to write in for or against is 07-AP-0705.

Personally I?m neutral. It is a lovely building but it is literally crumbling and there is shoring up to stop it from falling down. There is also too little housing of a liveable standard in this city and we can use all we can get. Although I would hate to see another ugly block of flats go up.

Ideally I would say they should redevelop it but by putting up a building of equal attractiveness as an homage to the original and not pollute our senses with anymore of this dross that is peddled as architecture. (This is just me being opinionated and cantankerous.)

I saw a SLP article a few years agot that said that the house was Grade I listed not II. This is because it is the earliest example of a house made from concrete. It would make a wonderful project or maybe we could make it a community project if we could get grants etc. There are so many talented people in ED I'm sure it is possible....

Also, I don't understand why Southwark can't serve the purchase order on the owners "agent" as the owner is uncontactable.

The house is getting worse day by day...

Like I've said before I'd be heartbroken to see it go.

I and my entire family would do everything in our power as LL residents to make sure the house doesnt get demolished. However my building grandfather reckons it's beyond repair and has been for about ten years.

We at my household would be very interested in saving the house (if it is even possible anymore). How would we get started? I'm sure there's enough people in ED that want to save it.

I've already lost my favourite Soho cafe to developers, I don't want to lose my favourite (albiet derliect) house go too.

OK, if anyone decides to get going on this here are some organisations that may be useful:

Victorian Society

1 Priory Gardens, Bedford Park, London, W4 1TT; Telephone: (20) 8994-1019; Fax: (20) 8747-5899; Email: [email protected]; Internet: http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/; Aims to preserve the finest Victorian and Edwardian architecture, and to study the art and built environment of the period; makes suggestions to the Dept of the Environment for bldgs to be added to the statutory list; judges applications for listed bldgs to be demolish or altered;; represented at public inquiries on preservation of bldgs.

London Society

Mortimer Wheeler House, 46 Eagle Wharf Rd, London , N1 7ED; Telephone: (20) 7253-9400; Email: [email protected]; Internet: http://www.londonsociety.org.uk/; Founded: 1912 to encourage a wider concern for the beauty of the capital city, the preservation of its charms and the careful consideration of its development.

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings

37 Spital Square, London, E1 6DY; Telephone: (20) 7377-1644; Fax: (20) 7247-5296; Email: [email protected]

Internet: http://www.spab.org.uk/; Founded: 1877 by William Morris to prevent the destruction of old buildings and to advise on their conservative repair through courses, campaigns, etc.

Also, perhaps less likely to offer direct assistance but may be interested/helpful none the less:

Architectural Association (Inc.)

34?36 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3ES; Telephone: (20) 7887-4000; Fax: (20) 7414-0782; Internet: http://www.aaschool.ac.uk.

Right, my sister has just told me she went in to Southwark's planning office this afternoon to see what was happening, as she lives very very close to the house in question.

The proposed plans are to build a new place similar to the other house they've built behind the concrete house. So keeping with the old style rather than building a square block of flats. She said it actually looked quite nice.

To be honest, if it's that or nothing, I'd go for that.

However, if they get 3 complaints/reservations, they will hold a meeting with those people.

The thing about Southwark not being of the opinion that it should be demolished is just some thing they put on all notices of this type.

I have to agree, the time to save it is now long gone, the proposals sound ok to me actually, and as keef rightly says, it's better that than nothing at all. I dont think the new house will be built to the same high standard, but as long as it looks similar thats the best we can ask for.