Peckham rye station last night

If (finally) the commuter 'mob' turned on the muggers and dealt out some retribution

Then the police would turn up pronto.

So its not resources.

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> samstopit,

>

> British (not London) Transport Police should

> respond to any 999 call on train/bus/tube etc -

> these calls are routed through to the local police

> force.

>

> Either 8 years ago the policy on this was

> drastically different or you were fobbed off.

>

> (Or you're making the above event up, but I'm just

> throwing that in here for good measure).

>

> Did you not think about making a complaint?

and in addition to speculation, horrible visions of dystopian near-future with gangs of out-of-work roaming retribution-dealing bankers

think there's a step somewhere between trying to prevent someone else's getting hurt and mass retribution

in the event of which, the police would be quite right to get involved. immediately

RosieH Wrote:

in a mob? nice

One-by-one by me would be fine Rosie.

I'm someone who cares for the victim(s).

I have little time for career criminals or those supported by the system(Solicitors with no ethics who attempt to get them "off" knowing (off-the-record) that they are guilty(like I heard only a couple of weeks ago and have heard many times over the last 35 years or so) or others who give the impression that they seem more concerned with the "Human Rights" of the "Mob" who initiate anti-social actions(I'm talking about much more serious incidents than this by the way).

Certainly I would not rest easily and my conscience would not allow me to let anyone derive any satisfaction from believing that they had "Won" by their activities.

I like,love and admire decent,hard-working and loving,friendly people and would do anything for them however retribution would be swift and extremely sweet for someone who harmed me or mine,at the very least there would be one piece of human excrement out of Society's way for a while which can't be too bad,can it! Can it?

p.s. Just been up all night seeing Barack Obama earn and deserve a marvellous victory which must be good for The USA and The World in general. Seeing such positivity with such a wonderful "feel good" factor and then,by contrast, thinking of Guys who try to ruin the lives of others by their words and,more importantly,actions makes me sad and annoyed.

Sorry but if they ruin the lives of any of my loved ones then their lives will be ruined in turn.

Only fair,innit?

No Tony, I do completely understand the idea of an eye for an eye - I think it's a fairly natural human reaction. But we have the power to rise above our natural human reactions and baser urges, and we also have a judicial system to deal with those who break the law.

I actually have a cousin who's served time for GBH for exacting his particular eye for an eye and I struggle to feel any sympathy. The question of what makes "us" better than "them" becomes redundant if our reaction to violence is to mete it out in return, (however strong the impulse).

And if you've enacted revenge for your hurt (to you or yours) then surely it's the prerogative of the him and his (or her and hers) to do likewise after you've put "one piece of human excrement out of Society's way for a while". An endless cycle of violence until all of you and yours and them and theirs are put out of the way..?

My response was to JohnL's post that "If (finally) the commuter 'mob' turned on the muggers and dealt out some retribution" The notion of a mob doling out retribution turns my stomach, whether it's a mob of teenage girls outside a station, or a mob of outraged decent people heading for the paediatrician's with flaming brands and pitchforks.

Remember the nightmare of when people who dealt with feet, or LOOked like paedophiles, were attacked by angry mobs?

We elect people who appoint people to punish bad people for us.

They often get it wrong.

But it's not our job to do it.

However, they get it wrong too much.

And this worm is beginning to turn...

Listen folks the justice system, the police, courts, gaols et al, are the civilised equivalent of the angry mob. We put them in place so that the ?mob? has some kind of consistency and we can all get about our business.

If however it isn't working properly then it is for us to set it right. Not by forming a new angry mob but by fixing the ones we already have.

I note your various points Guys.

The funny thing is that I've NEVER(even as a yout:))) laid a single finger on anyone let alone resorted to "other means" but I am a great believer in an "eye-for-an-eye" one must say;-)

Learnt a harsh lesson about "life" as a 13-year-old at Grammar School at The Oval..We were on our weekly sports day journey to Motspur Park,Surrey when one of the only 2 roughnecks in our year of 90 Boys picked on my good M8 John.

John was a lovely,well-mannerred and quiet lad and he did not want to know but the bully carried on and hit him .

To everyones great delight and amusement "Quiet John" was stronger than we realised and got on top of the bully!>:D<

He "threatened" to punch his lights out while on top but the "bully" pleaded and John being a good Guy did what the bully would never have done.He let him off.

When John's back was turned afterwards the cowardly bully jumped on him,knocking him down on the pavement and smashing his front teeth!...so much for that. He should have given him a ****ing good hiding.The B***d.

John went on to bring up 3 lovely Sons,all married and living in Edenbridge,Kent now and the"bully" died at around 30 years old,around 25 years ago.

Laws of Natural Justice,innit?:))