late fee on scratched DVD at Dul Library

Hello,

Just wanted to ask others whether I am being unreasonable.

Last week, I borrowed 2 children's DVDs from the library. One was in good condition; the other was scratched up and unwatchable (didn't even get as far as loading in the DVD player, so not just slightly faulty, but totally unusable).

This has happened to us many times before; in fact, this is why we often borrow 2 at a time, to increase our chances of getting to watch a movie at all. In every other case, I've taken it back to the library and explained, and they have apologised and given me a refund. No problem.

The DVDs were due back yesterday. I took them back today, 1 day late.

I expected to pay the ?1 late-fine on the good DVD, and I expected to explain to the librarian (as I have so many times before), that the other DVD was unusable.

The librarian I spoke to today agreed to credit me the rental cost of the faulty DVD, however, remarkably, she insisted I pay the ?1 late fee on that same faulty DVD that she had just nullified the rental charge for.

Is it just me, or is this absurd?

Claire

It's not necessarily absurd. They are separate issues, and I wouldn't personally have assumed that a late fine wouldn't apply. The fact that you couldn't play it on your own player is, in any case, not proof of its being totally unusable on any machine.

But I do hope that they check discs that are reported unreadable.