-------------------------------------------------------

> Now if I could turn back the clock by 3 days would

> I do anything differently - probably not (well

> perhaps maybe not write such a light hearted

> original post) He was clearly after a reaction

> and ignoring him seemed the better option at the

> time. Does that mean that he is more or less

> likely to do it again - who can say.

Your post reflected the way you felt about the incident at that time. Don't feel you should have posted differently because other people think that you should be offended now. That's peer pressure for you! They weren't there.

If you felt good about it, fine. Don't apologise for it. ;-)

Quite simply... a woman is more likely to feel physically threatened by a man than vice versa. I don't think I'm being controversial here, am I?

Not at all controversial. Just wrong. A woman is more likely to be a victim of domestic violence, but that doesn't make the male victims somehow a non-issue.

Jollybaby: please don't think you did anything wrong. Quite the reverse: your reaction was correct - for you. As djfitz said, resist peer pressure to be a victim if you're not one!

Loz Wrote:

> Not at all controversial. Just wrong. A woman is

> more likely to be a victim of domestic violence,

> but that doesn't make the male victims somehow a

> non-issue.

We're not talking about dometic violence. We're talking about random strangers approaching members of the opposite gender on the street, making suggestive remarks, and maybe more. You really, seriously, can't see that it could be more intimidating for women rather than men? Honestly?

Only just read this thread, but I am interested to know what people think Jollybaby should have done as a reaction?

Had she yelled at the boy, he probably would have laughed in her face or swore at her, Ivery much doubt that he'd have taken on board her moral outrage at his behaviour.

Had she given him a good slapping, she would have ended up in trouble, or possibly, just possibly, he may have fought back.

So, How would people have reacted?

For my part Jollybaby, I think you did the right thing.

Loz Wrote:

> Not at all controversial. Just wrong. A woman is

> more likely to be a victim of domestic violence,

> but that doesn't make the male victims somehow a

> non-issue.

We're not talking about dometic violence. We're talking about random strangers approaching members of the opposite gender on the street, making suggestive remarks, and maybe more. You really, seriously, can't see that it could be more intimidating for women rather than men? Honestly?

What has the perceived intimidation got to do with it? It's utterly irrelevant. Both are crimes; both are wrong. It's not hard, really.

You seem to have this poor view of women - and thank goodness there are people around like Jollybaby that can help you see that all women are not helpless victims. And I really hope you never meet that gang of 14/15 year old girls that were mugging people in ED a few months ago. They probably would have 'spanked your ass' in a way that even you would have found rather intimidating.

*Bob* - I think that if it was a 96 year old woman, a three year old horse and an 18 year old bottle of scotch whisky it would make a much better story.

Seriously Loz, WTF? You seem to be accusing me of sexism, which I've got to pull you up on. You're way out of line.

I am just stating the bleeding obvious, you on the other hand, sound like you have some agenda here. Have you been the victim of violence? Or are you just trying to preach naive political correctness? And why have you gone off on a tangent, with talk of domestic violence and gangs? Your posts are irrational, I have no intention of continuing this absurd argument with you (famous last words).

I am just stating the bleeding obvious, you on the other hand, sound like you have some agenda here. Have you been the victim of violence? Or are you just trying to preach naive political correctness? And why have you gone off on a tangent, with talk of domestic violence and gangs? Your posts are irrational, I have no intention of continuing this absurd argument with you (famous last words).

In order: no, no and no. And you mistake a tangent with trying to give you a similar, perhaps extrapolated, situation for you to see my point. At least I attempted to explain my point, rather than just claim everything is 'bleeding obvious', when it's not. But, that failed and I agree that to continue this with you is absurd and is probably boring the hell out of everyone else.

And that, if anything, is a cue for *Bob* to take it from the absurd to the surreal...

Are we sure that the 'schoolboy' wasn't in fact AC/DC's own Angus Young giving his new stage togs an airing before their upcoming tour.

He's an Aussie, he's a rock star, so the entitlement he would feel over any passing bum (female, of course, don't let that AC/DC number fool you) would seem perfectly feasible.

I have to say that I think Jolly's reaction was the right one given the circumstances. When I lived in Gipsy Hill a few years ago, I was walking the short distance home from the station when a kid ran up behind me and slapped me on the bum. As I turned to see who it was taking liberties he basically started circling me in a very intimidating manner. Fortunately, as it was raining, I was holding a brolly over my head, so I sort of put the open brolly between us as a shield. The stand off lasted for a couple of minutes and then he just sauntered off. It really wasn't very funny or harmless & it left me quite shaken and afraid of making that walk on my own for quite a while.

I think my point is that if no malice/harm/theft was intended, and the "victim" didn't feel themselves to be in any danger then maybe no harm was intended.

Right. That's it. There's only one way to settle the debate!

Tomorrow I shall dress in my wife's finest gown, slap on a bit of rouge and lots of lippy.

I will then cruise around Goose Green and demand that every passer-by - young and old, male and female - slap me on my hairy backside (I might cut the cheeks out of the dress just for effect).

We'll see who's intimidated then!!

P.S. don't want to sound like I'm dismissing Miss P 's post though ;-)

I always imagine what could happen if one playfully slapped the backside of Sonny Liston or Mike Tyson.

I fear everything would suddenly look 'very sparkly' until you hit the deck, too late to say sorry Mike sorry Sonny, I was only playing.

I think the best way everything considered, wisest to keep your hands to yourself, lest they happen across the wrong anatomy.

Unless you are in bed with a hot sort who is gagging for it,

then they may roam freely and wildly, lightly and tenderly, all over those rarest of individuals, the hot one.