Door-to-door salesmen

In the past two months, I've had two visits from these ex-prisoner salesmen. They are indeed 'lightly menacing' - the latest one showed me his ankle tracker and became abrasive when I said I'd bought from them before and didn't want to again. But, in the interests of not having a brick through my window, I gave him 6 quid for a cloth.

Is this some new form of protection racket? Pay up for potentially stolen goods... "or else"? I would not be pleased if my girlfriend was home alone and was confronted by these guys on the doorstep.

Is this a genuine scheme by Southwark Council?

doubledipper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But, in the interests of not having a brick

> through my window, I gave him 6 quid for a cloth.

>

I can understand the natural desire to pay to make them go away but each time someone buys something it just encourages them to try again and not everyone can afford to pay them off. I say NO before they start their patter and shut the door very quickly. If you do get caught in conversation, how about asking them for their name and address "for the police report" and can they look up (point to an outside light if you've got one) "there's a camera in it, they want us to get a good photo".

Some geezer just knocked at my door saying "electric"

I dutifully opened the door

then he starts talking about Southern Electric,

I growled at him saying "that is illegal" and pointed to a sticker saying 'no junk mail' he said "sorry I'm sorry"

and couldn't leave quick enough.

Which was nice.