Door-to-door salesmen

And in St Aidan's Rd too tonight about 7ish- the bloke who knocked here was insistent on giving me his pitch even though I said I wasn't interested. I had to point out as politely as possible, almost apologetically (but that wasn't what I was thinking) that there was nothing he could say that would make me buy from a door to door salesman. He tried again - I explained again ... he eventually left saying aggressivey how rude I was and hoping I wasn't so rude to my kids or something of the like - yes does leave one with an uneasy feeling........... come back Jehovah's Wittnesses all is forgiven ...... no well I don't really mean that

• 8 months later...

hello there I was just wandering through cyberspace looking for some ideas on a new business when I came across your posting ...

you see heres the problem I am a geordie fishmonger......

noting down your details I have even joined your forum to put a point over, you see a long time ago it was hard to get fresh produce like fish to the centre of england so people like my self have traded door to door for many years now and made an honest living the trouble is now that small minded individuals like your selves looking down from your ivory towers thinking its not good enough for you.

well let me tell you I have a customer base that includes a michelin star holder and tv food critics but am bordering being bankrupt because of the way people now view the industry.

We are all aware that there are con men out there as there are in most sectors but you will find as with most things that a bit of common sence goes a long way as far as fresh fish is concerned any way.

for instance.......

check for a chiller unit on the van and that its not just packed in ice to make it look cool

check for a company name on the vehicle ( only a fool buys from an unmarked van )

check for company logo's on clothing

ask for a leaflet

and if you are happy try the fish .............YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MIGHT LIKE IT.............

point of fact if you try to be clever with some one thats offering you something on the doorstep regardless of what it is, to say F&*K OFF and slam the door in there face is in my opinion rude and ignorant and while it may make you feel that little bit taller for the rest of the day maybe you will say it to one of the gypsey traders (as we call them) Oone day and then it will be a differant matter all together................

just to clarify a few points and let you into a few trade secrets .....you dont require a pedlars licence if you do not take goods to the door .........in other words if you are taking goods to the door with you like the old duster sales men who present you with a suitcase full of there wares then you do require a pedlars licence

...............however...........

if you knock on a door and ask if you want to buy anything then present a vehicle that is delivering you do not require any form of licence as technically your not selling at the door and what a lot of traders will do is then ask if you would like a selection brought to the door to save you from walking to the van.........therefore you have requested delivery of goods.........

this is something I do my self as im actually classed as canvasing goods and theres no law to stop you canvasing nor will there ever be as polititians rely a lot on canvasing for votes ..............

any way as we are now in the 21st century I personall have decided to stop knocking on doors as its not labour intensive this unfortunately will affect a lot of my customers who rely on me for a fresh meal and instead have opted for trading ion the internet hopefully this will give people a little bit more confidance to buy.......if any one requires any information e-mail me at stv.wolf"tiscali.co.uk or send me a message on ebay user name salmon.man as the website isnt up yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah we had a skanky guy come around our place a few times last year, he looked like a crack addict, so I never bought anything, but recently a much nicer guy came around - and I fell for it, but vowed to try to figure out what the organisation was about.

I found this article in Lambeth Life - http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7E0BA3D1-9C83-4A9E-AB19-93674CF2B47F/0/LL48.pdf - see top of page 6 - "residents encouraged to report scammers". It says that the address on their goods is false, and adds "Residents are advised to report sightings to Lambeth trading standards on 020 7926 6102". FYI the trading standards number for Lewisham is 020 8314 7759 adn Southwark 020 7525 2000.

I guess these salesmen/con artists come in the evening when none of these offices are open!

• 6 months later...
this scheme is genuine i have bought from these lads many of times and fair enough sometimes they do get abit peed off but put yourself in there shoes walking around in all weathers carrying that huge bag all day trying to sell dusters the way i see it at least there doing something instead of being on the streets and causing trouble and just to quote beth it isnt a charity its young lads basically trying to help themselves out by selling things

thanks for this Wigster - really helpful response to all those cynics out there - you really showed it to us with your in depth knowledge on the subject - and you've gone to all the effort of joining the ED Forum to let us know this and it is your first post - well done - I for one will be reconsidering my approach to these misunderstood scamps

Banksy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely everybody has seen the classic Bob Mills

> InBedWithMeDinner sketch about the footie

> hooligans "on the knock" selling dodgy gear or am

> I just being Muggy Bonehead?

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FO69NxBQvs

>

> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLgoAvwQL8

Can't get the sound on the video!

>

> Apologies - haven't worked out how to do proper

> links yet!

• 2 months later...

These guys were back in force tonight -one knocked on my door (I'm just off Bellenden Road) and was quite rude when I said I wasn't interested. He started making weird noises at me once I'd closed the door just because I said I didn't want to buy anything.

They REALLY annoy me

missd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> These guys were back in force tonight -one knocked

> on my door (I'm just off Bellenden Road) and was

> quite rude when I said I wasn't interested. He

> started making weird noises at me once I'd closed

> the door just because I said I didn't want to buy

> anything.

>

> They REALLY annoy me

Sounds like the same one who came round mine. I accused them of coming round practically every week, he seemed incredulous at the suggestion and was still arguing even after I'd closed the door.

How about everyone starts to give them the same reason for not buying their wares? Wittiest suggestion wins a pack of 3 dusters.

How about everyone starts to give them the same reason for not buying their wares? Wittiest suggestion wins a pack of 3 dusters.

Dunno about a good reason, but a comedian once pointed out the best way to handle telemarketers was to say, "yes, I'm very interested in your product. But first I'd like to talk to you about God...".

I reckon that'll see the little buggers off...

The blokes that do the late-night baskets of things I don't want seem to get increasingly arsey with each visit.

The bloke I got last time was verging on 'lightly menacing'.. Feels like they ramp it up a bit even if you don't buy, so maybe you will next time you'll buy to avoid the bad vibes.