Best Curry in East Dulwich

ms_1316

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Curry Cabin staff are great and the food is good

> too or at least when i have been there....

xxxxx

Yeh I rate the Curry Cabin on my eat-in experiences, never had a take-away though ....

Dulwich Tandoori has seen better days .... like in the seventies, when I used to eat there though living in Sarf Norwood :))

Bombay Bicycle, see previous threads on the forum (td)

:)-D

I rate the Dulwich Tandoori as the best in Lordship Lane - I take my family (hubby and three kids 16, 12, 10) every other Sunday for the buffet and it is fantastic. It is always really busy and most Sundays they are turning people away (including us regulars)!

Sue the decor has changed a bit ( they have some lovely new indian tapestries) but I go for quality of food rather than decor anyway. The manager is always really polite and helped my daughter with her Indian project for school by giving us lots of mags and bracelets.

Fair enough, I haven't eaten there for years so maybe it is wonderful now - though have been there since the seventies and wasn't that impressed last time I ate there. But willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Though would be suprised if it could compete with Ganapati, or even Tandoori Nights?? Or even, wash my mouth out, Curry Cabin?

:)

Only been to Jaflong the once and that was when it first opened and they must have been having teething problems or a particularly lousy chef because I thought it was bloody awful. Obviously it's improved since then and good luck to them. It's not like there isn't enough competition on the Lane.

As I've said before though. You can't beat Omrith and Tandoori Nights.

Maybe my expectations had been to high, having read some of the praise here, but i've had a couple of take-aways from Omrith (4 dishes total including the wife's), and i have to say i didn't find any stood out from the rest of the ED offerings - except for the shank with mince and potatoes, which was particularly bad (like a shank in shepherds pie gravy).

Off to Tooting tonight though for proper curry!!!

Hello

This is actually Alethea's husband adding to this, but I would say a couple of things on this subject.

Firstly, I would imagine that actually very few people on this forum are actually native Londoners born and bred, and with that in mind I would say that any opinion offered is subject to personal taste in line with where we all grew up. If you're a Manc' then nothing can compare to curries in Rusholme which I would add are usually pretty impressive, if you are from Birmingham, your expectations will be in line with what is common to there, etc, etc.

What I am saying is that my personal expectations are in line with the typical Glaswegian expectations of a curry - nuclear hot, pizza sized chapatis and chicken pakora. For me, if it doesn't do these, it's not a proper curry. Of course I realise that this is highly subjective and I have broadened my tastes in the 13 years I've lived in London. For the record, I find places that offer all three of the above few and far between south of Manchester. I would think that most of us have expectations related to the curries that we grew up on. Authenticity probably does not really come into it at all.

For delivering against all of my three criteria, The Mirash is the hands down winner. I have recently tried the Jaflong and that was good too. The main was possibily better than The Mirash, but the chicken pakora and chapatis were nowhere near as good. Tried The Coriander in the past and IMO it was barely to be considered a curry. I would give their madras to my 19 month old son without worrying too much, but as I say, your taste is very likely different to mine. The quality was fine, but a bit wimpy for my liking. For the record, I have no idea if The Mirash is a good dine in experience. I tend to order out.

Tandoori nights was really nice when we ate in, I would say the best all round main course and you could tell that the care and attention that went into the food was considerable, but from memory (and I am open to being corrected as being an ex-boxer my memory is very patchy these days as a result) it definitely didn't offer chicken pakora and possibly not chapatis. They also don't deliver and I cannot fathom why as I would certainly give them a shot now and then. Given that they fulfill only one of my Glasgow Gibson Street Curry Criteria, this is saying a lot.

I have no other local experience to comment on, but on the subject of Brick Lane, it is there that my expectations are met 99.9%. Cafe Naz is as close to a Glaswegian curry house as I have seen outside of Glasgow.

Just my two-pence worth...

I have had my first Omrith tonight (take away). Went to collect - arrived after the allotted 1/2 hour and had to wait an extra 25mins. They couldn't seem to find my order when I got there, then found it in a pile of other orders. There were 4 other agitated people waiting for their takeaway. I had time to observe the quality of the service general ambiance. I thought the waiters were obtrusive and the decor - lighting everything was pretty horrible. When I was finally presented with my takeaway I was asked if I had paid (which I had). Levels of courtesy were nil. Charm -1. The food was distinctly average, the papadoms tasted of old oil. Given the recommendations on this site I can only imagine that they were having an off-day. 2/10 I won't be going back.

My recommendations ....Curry Cabin, who are always charming, always ask for a recommendation for what to eat. ......Tandoori Nights - the best curry I have had in East Dulwich, again ask the waiter to recommend something.However I wish they would take away the Monica Ali Sign out front - I'm sick of seeing it. Babur, which isn't in East Dulwich is worth the money ( it's not actually that expensive) and is a breath of fresh air also worthy of a mention.

If we are going to criticise restaurants can we get the details right? Praise Tandoori Nights all you want but it is they who have the Monica Ali sign out front. To knock another restaurant (in this case Curry Cabin) for that particular sin doesn't speak highly of your critical skills - sorry Andy

Curry Cabin have a Myleene Klass notice out front. Details matter. It is after all the basis of your critique

(for the record, my opinion is that Tandoori Nights > Curry Cabin. By some distance)

Apologies - I've now corrected the post. I blame Lobby Loo who was demanding I leave the computer alone. I recommended Curry Cabin because the food has never failed me (Lamb Shank very good) and as I said the Service is always great- There is more to curry than just the food. I dare say that I wouldn't have been so scathing of Omrith if I hadn't. I agree Tandoori Nights food is a cut above and their service is good too.

I have to say that I haven't been to Curry Cabin for a while so haven't picked up on the Myleene Klass notice out front... What next I wonder...Jade Goody notice outside Emily's Chip Shop?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If we are going to criticise restaurants can we

> get the details right? Praise Tandoori Nights all

> you want but it is they who have the Monica Ali

> sign out front. To knock another restaurant (in

> this case Curry Cabin) for that particular sin

> doesn't speak highly of your critical skills -

> sorry Andy

>

> Curry Cabin have a Myleene Klass notice out

> front. Details matter. It is after all the basis

> of your critique

> (for the record, my opinion is that Tandoori

> Nights > Curry Cabin. By some distance)

It's Tandoori Nights for me too. but I wish they'd do something about their wine list. I realise they proably don't drink alcohol but they need some advise. I think a well oaked Chardonnay and a powerful Shiraz or even Pinot Noir, are needed. The wines they have, that I've tried in there, an average Muscatdet and a blended Bordeaux are pretty awful and quite expensive. Am I missing a gem, and don't say lager, phlease. Which Curry House has the best wine? Now theres a question worth asking.

Babur - they match their wines to their food. I had an amazing bottle of Californian their which suited the meal to a T. Pricey but when it works you never mind paying.....

EDOldie Wrote:

Which Curry

> House has the best wine? Now theres a question

> worth asking.

Alethea's husband - interesting post. Of course taste is very, very subjective, and personal experience will come into it too. But nevertheless, I think you can be objective up to a point... not too greasy, depth of flavour (not just heat, and you can actually taste the meat), something that doesn't leave you with curry flavoured burps 24 hrs later...

Hi,

The Pistachio Club has a new Chef and the food now has greater flavour. The FOH Manager is exuberant about the change, and will give you a complimentary glass of port when the bill is produced.

I can honestly say if we want a Sunday evening buffet, I have not found anywhere better than the club or the Surma.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

So, back from my first trip to Omrith. I enjoyed it, but I have to say I wasn't wowed. The food was nice: good flavour, quality ingredients, not at all greasy. But it lacked oomph. Not just heat - although that was certainly lacking - but overall it just wasn't quite... yunno... as good as a really good curry can be.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go back there again, but whether I'd make a point of doing so? Hmm...