Consultation on Changing facilities and One O'clock club in Peckham Rye Park

katgod,

Yes, toddlers do need somewhere safe, but why on earth should we trust the decision-makers who got it so wrong before?

Buzz phrases like "open access" sprinkled with hype words like 'fantastic' are empty and meaningless if we have no idea of the detail. What should be put to consultation are plans with meat on them, so people can see exactly how their money will be spent and can comment accordingly. What this feels like is 2 million has been ringfenced to do something that will get the parent vote, fluffing up lack of detail by calling the scheme 'fantastic' and 'open access'...and the detail will be cobbled together as they go. 2 million is a lot of money...

Henryb, yep the upward flowing stream...what a mess. I ask again, how much did that 'fantastic' little disaster cost?

I think we are agreeing First mate, I have posted in the Family Room too because this spending needs more scrutiny and interest than it is getting to avoid more pointless initiatives like uphill streams being put in, and areas with no barrier etc.

I have to say I think the existing small children's playground (the old one near the adventure playground) is really dated & lacking in creativity. Compared to many other local playgrounds it's very uninspiring & I'm excited about the opportunity of a new space, but totally agree about parents needing to be consulted & PLEASE no uphill streams, how did the company that put that in get away with it?!

I think having a more open area by the cafe with play equipment will be good if it's sorted out a bit & I really don't care less about the old POW hut (sorry).

The adventure playground is fab so I do hope they don't mess the area up to much & that the skate park & outdoor gym etc all get properly re-instated.

Hi Saffron, a good idea, I will raise this with officers.

Hi Henry, it's small and very energy inefficient, it's a corrugated metal structure that was meant to be used temporarily over half a century ago, also there are issues with it's proximity to large trees. Hi I agree the water channel didn't work, the area there was funded by a play builder grant (I don't remember how much the scheme cost, but in terms of play equipment, I know it was a low cost scheme).

Katgod, the plans are currently being put into a form in which they can go into the Southwark website and forms set up so that people can comment on-line.

This is definitely not a done deal First Mate, this is why there is a consultation process, I do want as many people as possible to comment.

Renata

That play area cost ?100,000 Renata. That is NOT a small cost scheme.

Here is a useful insight into the conclusions about that scheme.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s36208/Public%20Questions%20-%20responses.pdf

One could be forgiven for thinking that only children and football players use the park. It would be nice to see facilites that are aimed at other park users as well, like a BBQ area (Burgess Park has one of those for example).

" One could be forgiven for thinking that only children and football players use the park. It would be nice to see facilites that are aimed at other park users as well, like a BBQ area (Burgess Park has one of those for example)."

Quite agree PT .

More outdoor gym equipment - away from playareas - and better toilet provision would be nice .

I still cannot get my head around the 2 million figure. I'd rather see more money spent on the park and its upkeep. Toddlers do need special spaces to play but should the emphasis be more on engaging with the natural world and less on plastic, metal and other artificial structures?

What about a maze, some special trees and logs which kids can climb over, a tree house, a secret garden? I don't understand why a wondeful outdoor space has to 'built' on to make it suitable for use.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Saffron, a good idea, I will raise this with

> officers.

> Hi Henry, it's small and very energy inefficient,

> it's a corrugated metal structure that was meant

> to be used temporarily over half a century ago,

> also there are issues with it's proximity to large

> trees. Hi I agree the water channel didn't work,

> the area there was funded by a play builder grant

> (I don't remember how much the scheme cost, but in

> terms of play equipment, I know it was a low cost

> scheme).

> Katgod, the plans are currently being put into a

> form in which they can go into the Southwark

> website and forms set up so that people can

> comment on-line.

> This is definitely not a done deal First Mate,

> this is why there is a consultation process, I do

> want as many people as possible to comment.

> Renata

So just to clarify, is the non-functional water channel going to being repaired, or scrapped entirely?

Isn't this something any decent local gardener/tiler (and there several on this forum!) could have designed and implemented together, at an affordable price? Surely this kind of work doesn't have to be expensive to be good quality.

If local companies, builders, and tradespeople of East Dulwich and surrounding neighbourhoods are NOT going to be employed by this project, the reason needs to be made entirely transparent.

I think this was dismissed as an ill-founded runour before. There is no way a school, especially a fee paying school, could take a chunk of public park space to be used as a dedicated school space. I would be thoroughly alarmned if there was any truth in this. Perhaps Renata could comment?

Actually just checked http://www.smallacresschool.org/

It would seem that a private school is allowed to operate out of the Adventure Playground. What precedents does it set for the future of the park, since it has two large Harris Schools on each side? How long has this alternative shcool been operating and who in the council okayed it?

I don't understand how this alternative school has been set up with so little publicity- who benefits from the fees?

I would now like to know where the 2 million has come from, is this public money or a public private partnership?

No, amazingly not just rumour, read the following from the school's own website:note that this space is closed to the public in school hours. No wonder they need another adventure playground. Frankly I am aghast at how this has been swung by. Where was the consultation? How does this impact on the future of the park, which is now an extension of the school?

I for one would appreciate the comments of any of the politicians that frequent this website, whether James, Renata, Rosie or anyone else. How has this situation come about, what are the implications long term. Do you all support his private school that has the park as its "extended classroom"?

"Small Acres is based in the adventure playground at Peckham Rye Park. This amazing playground is a large, grassy outdoor area that is closed to the public during school hours. Within the playground you will find a ball court, areas for bikes and scooters, a small woodland, large grassy areas, plenty of climbing structures, a zip wire, ropes and swings and a garden full of vegetables and fruit bushes in the spring and summer. The building situated to one side offers toilet facilities, a place to put up tables for work and art, room to create, practice yoga, dance and move, space for our meeting, corners for quiet reading and it also offers the warmth of a heated floor in winter, while a shady place in summer.

Beyond the fence is Peckham Rye Park, which Small Acres uses as an extended 'classroom'. There are wooded areas, meadows, a restored Victorian garden, ornamental gardens, flowing streams, ponds with ducks, fish and turtles, play structures, a caf?, playing fields and much more. We often visit the various places within the park to measure trees, draw, observe nature, study the habits of the local wildlife, observe the bees and learn about the seasonal changes that are so rich and ...."

Hi all, to clarify, the water feature cost ?3,000 pounds.

The Small Acres school, is a small group of home schooling parents who pay rent for use of the Adventure Playground area for group homeschooling. They rent this during the daytime, during school terms when other children are at their own schools and therefore don't use this room to play table tennis etc (the facility wouldn't be open for public use then). This is similar to eg private Nurseries who may rent a TRA or Church Hall during the week. The currently rent the space for two or three sessions a week, their bookings are done on a short-term, termly basis. Anyone can book this space. Local primary schools do book it for outdoor activities too. It can be booked by community groups or individuals(eg for birthday parties). Either speak to Terry Jones, the playworker on site after school/Saturday or email Garry Martin in Southwark Play Services [email protected]. Currently, Monday and Friday during school hours and Sunday afternoon are available, also Saturdays during school holidays. The rent from the Small Acres Group and anyone who hires the facility goes directly back into the Adventure Playground Kitty, to enable all our children to use the facilities for free, after school, on Saturdays and during school holidays. The homeschoolers can use Peckham Rye Park just as any other user. Any local child can go into the park and measure trees etc! I hope this clarifies the situation.

Renata

Hi First Mate,

this is the adventure playground for 5-15 year olds (some of the items actually are more 7-8 plus), they are at school during the week between around 9am to 3.30pm, hence why it's available to rent during these times. This is not a traditional playground with swings, slide etc geared up towards younger children.

Renata

First Mate, thank you for making the links following my initial reference to the school. Renata have you looked at their website it refers to staff they employ and on my reading of it- it does not in anyway sound like a group of people who are home tutoring their own children. I presume if it was they would make it clear that any childs parent needs to be hands on involved in their education on the site - on reading it again it does not make it clear that fees are involved but I cannt think that they are doing this for free if they are employing staff.

sorry I had tried to copy and paste Renata's views on the school setting up in the park from the earlier thread mentioned by intexasatthemoment but there seems to be a technical problem with doing that. However in 2013 Renata wrote that she did not think that the site was suitable for a school. Does this mean that it has gone ahead without the councils knowledge?

Jacbuc - you're quite right .

Small Acres doesn't sound a bit like a homeschooling group ,their website quotes fees of

?2501 per term and says "Our amazing location in the Peckham Rye Adventure Playground gives the children the freedom to play and explore outside with unlimited access to a large playground, the park, a nearby forest and ponds."

http://www.smallacresschool.org/about.html

and this was their last post on EDF

Website for Small Acres Alternative Primary School

Posted by kitwe March 29, 07:09PM

As discussed previously on this forum, a new alternative primary school has opened in Peckham Rye Park called 'Small Acres'.

Many of you have asked for more information, including a website. I'm pleased to say that the website has recently gone 'live' and here is the link:

[www.smallacresschool.org]

It sounds like a lovely school and I guess they rent the Adventure Playground during the day when it's not open to the public . Just like preschools rent church halls and cricket pavilions .

I suppose the income from their rental supports the Adventure Playground .

first mate Wrote:

--Toddlers do need special

> spaces to play but should the emphasis be more on

> engaging with the natural world and less on

> plastic, metal and other artificial structures?

>

> What about a maze, some special trees and logs

> which kids can climb over, a tree house, a secret

> garden? I don't understand why a wondeful outdoor

> space has to 'built' on to make it suitable for

> use.

Great ideas first mate! This would benefit everyone - not 'just' kids'...

HP

• 3 weeks later...

Longshanks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there still opportunity to have an input into

> this. Renata? Or as someone said, view some

> plans/proposals?

Can I second this! When I spoke to whoever was on a stall outside Peckham Rye Park cafe - I think someone from the Council and one of the consultants(?) - they said they were just completing something to put up on the web for people to see. This was quite some time ago (4-6 weeks?) Surely there's something for people to comment on by now?