Wasteful & pointless resurfacing of East Dulwich roads?

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> grace3 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Conways have the 'decision' maker in Southwark

> 'on

> > the payroll'

>

> That's a potentially libellous allegation back to

> your IP address. It might be possible. But these

> contracts aren't in the hands of one individual

> these days...

sue me then.

grace3 Wrote:

> Conways are glorified 'knackers' they are doing no

> more than travellers offering dodgy tarmac that

> will break up in the first frost. They have been

> bankrolled to provide all the plant .

Grace, my heart is absolutely with your sentiment! ...

- but seriously,

if we are going to get somewhere, the only 'smooth route' is via

level questioning and the publication of facts (yours as well?).

I sincerely hope that Councillor Barber perhaps along with other Southwark officials responsible for these spending decisions can produce evidence to satisfy any sceptics that contractors and council are actually doing a great job.

Wondering why the roadworks along East Dulwich Grove, coming from North Dulwich, or East Dulwich are necessary? All that seems to be done is widening of the pavements and at some points it's really dangerous, as suddenly when you are driving along, there is a piece of pavement jutting out for some reason. Why do the pavements need to be widened? Also in thick black tarmac? With the 37 buses coming both ways it's already creating a lot of traffic build up when before 2 double deckers could pass alongside each other without any problems.

The same thing is happening on Denmark Hill and the bus lanes seem to be disappearing.

Hi heart108,

Speed bumps cost around ?1,800 each.

highway maintenance can either be undertaken just before the top surface fails - its really cheap to do at this point as you skim a tiny amount from the top and relay it. OR you can wait until you have potholes and cracks and then its much more involved and significantly more expensive.

Clearly it's better to renew a road at the former stage than at the latter state. Hence why people wonder what on earth is going on when what appear good roads get renewed and other that look a state don't. Once they're a state they cost loads to fix and waiting a little longer won't make much difference to the cost of renewal.

BUT ideally with a 10 year ?1bn. capital plan southwark could afford to catch-up on all its highway repairs. That's what my lot would do if we take control of the council 22 May.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi heart108,

> Speed bumps cost around ?1,800 each.

>

> highway maintenance can either be undertaken just

> before the top surface fails - its really cheap to

> do at this point as you skim a tiny amount from

> the top and relay it. OR you can wait until you

> have potholes and cracks and then its much more

> involved and significantly more expensive.

> Clearly it's better to renew a road at the former

> stage than at the latter state. Hence why people

> wonder what on earth is going on when what appear

> good roads get renewed and other that look a state

> don't. Once they're a state they cost loads to fix

> and waiting a little longer won't make much

> difference to the cost of renewal.

>

> BUT ideally with a 10 year ?1bn. capital plan

> southwark could afford to catch-up on all its

> highway repairs. That's what my lot would do if we

> take control of the council 22 May.

Hi James,

With the greatest respect, I find your answer absolutely frustrating in it's

generalised unspecificity - a repetition of what you said earlier.

This feels like you are deliberately avoiding the precise questions

I put several times in this thread. It feels like contempt for the debate.

If you have no wish to engage with them, or simply cannot, fair enough .. at least

have the decency to say so.

I am feeling my own good will towards the credibilty of you and your party drain rapidly away.

Hi Heart108,

Please email me your specific questions and I'll get specific answers from council officials.

I'm an opposition councillor so don't have all the information and don't get to make the decisions around this. OI find the policies just an infuriating but officers aren't mendacious in how they decide things.

How does one go from accusing an elected official of 'deliberately avoiding questions' and 'contempt' in a tone which badly reflects the apparent 'respect' in which he is held, to offering an emoticon to convey a change of mood after receiving an undeservingly pleasant reply. Sometimes (by which I mean often) the normal protocols of human engagement are really evanescent on this forum.

James Barber Wrote:

> Speed bumps cost around ?1,800 each.

>

James, I guess these are the small square ones that are usually lumped together in twos and threes across the road.

The ones that cost a whole lot more are those full width raised "platforms" made of small pavers that are laid by hand in what is a very labour intensive process. They often appear at T junctions eh where Townley road meets L.L. I seem to recall these cost around ?30,000 each. They seem to be a whole waste of money.

Out of interest, could you kindly advise us what the cost of the works is that is nearing completion at the end of Glengarry Road at the junction with East Dulwich Grove.

Thanks

GG

worldwiser Wrote:

> How does one go from accusing an elected official

> of 'deliberately avoiding questions' and

> 'contempt' in a tone which badly reflects the

> apparent 'respect' in which he is held, to

> offering an emoticon to convey a change of mood

> after receiving an undeservingly pleasant reply.

> Sometimes (by which I mean often) the normal

> protocols of human engagement are really

> evanescent on this forum.

Hi world wiser

I'll explain how?;)

Having been a bit over the top in expressing frustration at Councillor Barber not giving clear answers to what I felt were reasonable questions, I expressed appreciation of his level reply and offer to write via email via friendly public word and that wonderful 'modern protocol of human engagement' the smiley emoticon LOL

BUT ACTUALLY THANKS TO YOUR GOOD SELF EXCELLENT QUESTION :) ( question to 'How Can I help?' 10th March 1.41pm)

worldwiser Wrote:

> James, I wonder if you could illuminate us on how

> our local roads are selected for resurfacing? It

> seems utterly haphazard since pretty much all the

> residential roads in the area are in an equally

> distressed state. How come Silvester, Goodrich and

> Pellatt are the lucky ones? Why not, say Lacon,

> Crawthew and Archdale? Be interesting to see how

> these things are assessed - is it a vote?

my latest goodwill towards Councillor Barber is somewhat dampened because his answer shows he knows more than he is willing to express here this time round on the forum in response to my questions:

'Each ward has ?36000' to spend on roads - well that explains why everyone is rushing round using the money up before it gets taken back. What is the point of a contract that makes the council spend it anyway whether the road repair is needed or not?????!!!!

What a mindless stupid wasteful system!!!!! .. which encourages spending for the sake of spending and not on the basis of need. No wonder Councillor Barber does not or cannot publicly answer the questions I originally put to him.

Because also he appears to be party to that spending ' This year and last year WE allocated funds to ?'

James Barber Wrote:10th March 1.41pm

> Hi worldwiser,

> Two avenues.

> Southwark Council employs consultants to produce

> an annual road condition report. The majorityl of

> ?4.2m is allocated on this basis. Slips and trips

> also inform this.

> Each ward also have ?36,000 devolved capital spend

> to allocate to highways. This year and last we

> allocated funds to fix Goodrich Road (Barry Road

> to Friern Road), eastern end of Pellatt Road.

>

> The issue is a huge capital backlog. I know my

> political group are committed that if we take

> control of Southwark Council in the 22 May local

> elections we will used some of the next 10 years

> ?1bn capitla spend of Southwark Council to fully

> catch-up all highway repairs. This would cost

> circa ?18m.

The forum is the place for these facts to come out:

1 - Who takes the decision to spend money on repairing roads at Southwark Council?

2 - Are the actual figures and records available to the public? On what website links?

3 - Is the money being spent for the sake of it because it will be 'lost' if it is not spent?

4 - What is the point of a budget for each ward not based on need?

( e.g. like a GP surgery having a 'budget' for every patient: if you are not sick your GP just spends it on you anyway - no matter if there are no funds left for someone else really sick because you have had a facial and a massage)

It really makes no sense ? 'mendacious' .. ? - to suggest that 'the real problem is that there is a backlog' and the Lib Dems would solve this if they got into power.

The problem of the backlog is completely secondary to the BIGGER PROBLEM that existing funds are clearly not being spent according to a priority of need.

I think sometimes there's more to it than just the highways budget too. I asked about the bottom end of rye lane which is a real mess and was told that there are major gas renewal works planned there too which mean the resurfacing is pointless until that's done. A sensible response I thought even if it is frustrating in the short term...

Hillcourt Road was resurfaced a few weeks back out of the blue - only 24hrs warning, they took away 3 speed bumps, but only replaced one. I got an email from the council saying they were replacing them, but haven't. Apparently, they couldn't replace the last 2 speed bumps as cars were parked... didn't stop them managing to resurface the road and do the first bumps. They just pained a massive 'don't park here' sign on the road....

They are maddening....

• 3 years later...

Here we go again - end of the financial year and Southwark are obliged it seems to waste money on completely unnecessary and wasteful road expenditure ' in order to maintain the budgets'..

I defy any Southwark officials with knowledge of this to defend the nonsensically expensive work that is being carried out on the Piermont Green 'road' that serves 3/4 households ( see attached photo):

1 - Surprise surprise this work is being done at the end of the financial year

2 - Who authorised this expenditure?

3 - How much is the budget? I once spoke to a team making speed bumps in Friern Rd and back then it was ?4k per hump. I hate to think what the repair to Piermont Green must cost.

4 - Can anyone suggest what this money could have been spent on?

5 - Does anyone have knowledge of the deal or obligation that exists between Southwark and the contractors?

6 - I would like to know on what grounds this repair is being carried out/

This should all be public knowledge.

I am personally outraged at the waste of money.

If you report potholes on Fix My Street IME they are quickly (not terribly effectively) patched. I think southwark must use it as a management tool.

https://www.fixmystreet.com

The ones in the gutter at the East Dulwich Lane junction with Peckham Rye west don't seem to get fixed whatever I do or report. I think if a road is on the list for an overhaul then patching is delayed so the work doesn't get done twice.

I think that we should know, for instance, the cost of the recent absurd road "improvements" in Dulwich Village, and still continuing with some hugely expensive madcap scheme at the bottom of Woodwarde Rd.

Are our councillors aware of the cost and extent of the work. and can they veto it? What are their powers to limit the expenditure of OUR money on daft and unnecessary projects dreamt up by half wits?

Austerity? What austerity?

And don't start me on the mad foreign aid budget!

Well I think that's the point, kford - repairs of holes in roads to make them safe should be an absolute priority. And the money spent on Piermont Green could/should have been used for that ...