barclays system down

SteveT

Yesterday I took a 35 minute walk to Rye lane branch, it looked remarkably empty, gave them my cheques and paid them in with the last paying in slip in my cheque book.

I asked for another paying in book the man with corn rows said the systems down I can't do it you will have to come in another time.

I protested and said the 'systems always down here',

I want the manager, he called for someone and she came across asked a few pertinent questions confirming my post code etc. then it was sorted.

Anyone else had problems with the system being down?

My ex-business partner went into his branch of Natwest to get cash for the wages to pay his employees, er sorry the systems down you'll have to come back, it became heated as he became more insistant but they paid him and said he was very lucky.

Banks are sending back to HQ any loose cash on a daily basis, and if you have the temerity to want any, you have to book it in advance.

Anyone else having trouble getting their cash from the bank?

MelG, lol.

It doesn't seem long ago when I could ring the bank and order a paying in book or cheque book, and it would be posted and no problem.

Entering your own branch but not permitted to order one as the system is down seemed preposterous.

If the system is down, can't they make a note of your request and insert it up there 'system' when it eventually functions correctly?

It can sometimes depend on who is behind the counter. Maybe the duffer didn't know the manual way of ordering a cheque book? - which seems to be the case where computerised systems have come in and replaced manual processes like the Post Office for example.

As for cheque books, i've never really got into using them, when I signed up for my account Internet banking seemed to be the way forward. I avoid going into my bank as it means taking time off work or facing long queues at lunch time.

For as long as I have been banking, the front line staff have always been very junior, badly-paid and variable in quality.

Paying in books - inconvenient and a faff as it is for you Steve, you don't NEED them do you? You can still pay in with a standard slip right?

As with any business with shareholders, the care and attention people hark back to were expensive overheads. The alternatives (mutual building societies) were all voted by their ordinary customers to become banks for a few shekels, whenever the opportunity was presented.

In any case it's still a lot better than the old days where if you didn't get your money out on a Friday, that was your lot for the weekend...

SeanMacGabhann wrote:

In any case it's still a lot better than the old days where if you didn't get your money out on a Friday, that was your lot for the weekend...

When I started earning they opened on Saturday morning and the tellers all wore sports jackets, but suits and ties were worn during the week