Moos

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Grown women who wear pyjamas with pictures of

> cutesy teddy bears (or similar) on them. Give me

> a break - these shouldn't be seen on anyone over

> the age of 16. Either sleep on the raw or get

> some grown up lingere.

Oh giggirl, so true! A friend of mine earlier this year took one look at my brushed cotton pyjamas (no teddy bear prints at least) and said "Good God.... what has become of you?" Her words were a short, sharp, shock I can tell you.

Oh dear BB - I'm shocked and saddened. But at least you had a true friend. Personally, I put all my underwear and nightwear through the GC test, and that does the trick for me. I take a long hard look at the item, and if I wouldn't want George Clooney to see me wearing it, out it goes. I'm ruthless.

Parents/Carers who climb on childrens playground equipment chaperoning their child, whilst usually providing an inane running commentary on every action said child does.

Give them some feckin room!

And while you're at it, don't tread on my kids fingers and generally get in the way of the little people who should be at the top of a slide. Dulwich Park is really bad for this. Forty-something mums perched at the top of a slide or clambering elephant like up and down steps designed for under 8 year olds, pushing other kids out of the way whilst shadowing little Alfie. If you need to be with them, they are possibly too young to be on that particular climbing frame/slide? And/or maybe they could introduce a little risk into the childs life and stop wrapping it cotton wool so it grows up able to deal with the real world etc etc.

Same applies to indoor soft play centres and everything is padded!

And breathe.

Keef Wrote:

> Taking your wife's advise and not doing shots,

> shorts or drugs, and just sticking to pints, only

> to wake up feeling like you've done 10 pills, drunk

> a bottle of sambucca, and been bottled by someone!

Quiet night in then was it Keef?

Those awful audio things at museums - they cause bottlenecks and are totally anti-social. Why bother to go to an exhibition with someone and then not talk or discuss any of the exhibits because you are too busy listening to an audio guide? And what ever happened with actually coming to one's own conclusion about something rather than being spoon-fed one academic viewpoint!

I used one of those audio thingys for the first time this year - it was for the Russian exhibition at the Royal Academy. I definitely got more out of the exhibition and it didn't stop me forming my own opinions. The bonus of audio guides is that you can listen whilst actually looking at the paintings, whereas you obviously need to look away from the painting to read something. I shared a guide with the guy I went with and so we ended up being a lot more touchy feely than we ordinarily would have been (that's another story).

Bottlenecks at museums and galleries are caused by overcrowing. I rarely venture out to museums but would probably go a lot more often if it wasn't for the crowds. I just don't like big crowds of moving people. I liked the audio guide though (sorry Cassius).

Giggirl - try booking a really early slot - I'm usually in by 9.00 when it's not nearly as busy - each to their own re audio guides eh!

Bottlenecks are usually caused by bad planning by the exibition curator - the Terracotta Army was a disgrace, and the V&A have been guilty for some of the worse exhibition planning I have ever seen, both the Art Deco and the Art Nouveau were almost impossible to negotiate.

I like the audio guide things, because usually I can't see to read the tiny little print on the tiny little plaque saying what something is. However, I do agree that it's less social, and you end up in your own little world.

Whilst we're on this subject, getting stuck behind a school party at an exhibition!!!!! Bottle neck to end all bottle necks! :X

Cassius, I just can't handle my culture pre-lunch. I've never given much thought to what causes people-bottlenecks. Years ago, in another life, I used to be invited to lots of private viewings and that was lovely - no crowds and a glass of Moet thrown in. These days I'm put off by anything with big moving crowds. I don't have panic attacks but I definitely get on edge and rather short-fused.

Maybe I will give the early slot a try though. Many many many years ago when my then partner was running a business in NYC, I was left alone all day long and I didn't really know anyone, other than my boyfriend. We stayed on the Upper East Side so I started off each morning with a visit to one of the many museums/galleries on our doorsetp. I would only spend about a half hour, but it was definitely a bonus to see things in small doses rather than spending the whole day.

Those people in the centre of London who give away those nasty so-called newspapers every day; they definitely cause bottlenecks.

giggirl Wrote:

>

> Those people in the centre of London who give away

> those nasty so-called newspapers every day; they

> definitely cause bottlenecks.

And yet they are such wonderful and friendly people! :-D just me?

People calling 5mins before the end of the working day insisting on having a pointless conversation for at least 20mins...