The gardens police cordon

pinecone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it's more likely the young unfortunate who got

> stabbed was a low-ranking drugs dealer who didn't

> pay his supplier on time.

xxxxxx

Unless you know who he was and why he was stabbed, why are you spreading misinformation about someone who has been the victim of a serious crime?

pinecone Wrote:

> it's not misinformation. it's speculation. read

> closer next time before posting.

xxxxxx

Speculation or misinformation, it's dissing somebody about whom you know absolutely nothing. Somebody who has just been hurt.

"More likely that ....." . Yeh, right. You're basing that on - what, exactly?

"Read closer before posting"? Maybe you should engage your brain before posting. If you have one.

You're forgiven for being a reactionary who thinks that corporal and capital punishment are both a deterrent and immune to miscarriages of justice.

You're forgiven for having a massive misunderstanding of the true nature of gang culture and the issues faced by sections of society totally cut off from the norms that the rest of us work within.

You're forgiven for thinking that brutalising a violent offender is the same as punishing them and attempting to rehabilitate them.

You're forgiven for leaping to unprovable conclusions that you have assumed must be correct because they fit with your view of how the world has changed.

I don't wear rose tinted spectacles, and I'm well aware of the dangers of gangs; there's parts of Peckham which are still no-go zones after a certain time of night, for example. The recent police raids serve to highlight got seriously they take it too. But as a society, when we assume the worst of every situation, and assume every kid within a hundred metres of a knife is a 'gangbanger', or some low level dealer that can't count. Some of them certainly are, but if we assume they all are, and treat them as such, then they'll end up like that. We have to imprison and (hopefully) re-educate the hardcore gang members. Maybe, like some notable cases in the USA, they can then join the rest of us in the main task - preventing the younger kids from thinking the gang is the only way to have a future. Because that's on all of us.

It's vital to seperate over-reactionary rhetoric, like demanding the return of the birch, from realistic tactics to defeat gangs and make children understand that education is not only vital, but can actually lead to something more than they have experienced.

(Edited a couple of times for bad language, trying to behave myself better!)

You couldn't make this up!

On January 21, 06:59PM Pinecone wrote:

Re: Mugged at knife point this evening

"a few weeks ago I got confronted by a dude at the bus stop at the corner of the gardens and peckham rye. he clearly wanted trouble, but I ran off before he produced a knife or did anything."

Just 12 days later Pinecone wrote about the victim of an incident at the same spot...

Re: The gardens police cordon

Posted by pinecone February 02, 10:31PM

"it's more likely the young unfortunate who got stabbed was a low-ranking drugs dealer who didn't pay his supplier on time."

Such a high degree of irony must surely have been intentional - pinecone???

Or maybe there was no irony and the "dude" who "clearly wanted trouble" with pinecone just mistook him/her for a low ranking drugs dealer who hadn't paid?

Which was it pinecone?

dulwichbloke Wrote:

> You couldn't make this up!

>

> On January 21, 06:59PM Pinecone wrote:

>

> Re: Mugged at knife point this evening

>

> "a few weeks ago I got confronted by a dude at the

> bus stop at the corner of the gardens and peckham

> rye. he clearly wanted trouble, but I ran off

> before he produced a knife or did anything."

>

> Just 12 days later Pinecone wrote about the victim

> of an incident at the same spot...

>

> Re: The gardens police cordon

>

> Posted by pinecone February 02, 10:31PM

>

> "it's more likely the young unfortunate who got

> stabbed was a low-ranking drugs dealer who didn't

> pay his supplier on time."

>

> Such a high degree of irony must surely have been

> intentional - pinecone???

>

> Or maybe there was no irony and the "dude" who

> "clearly wanted trouble" with pinecone just

> mistook him/her for a low ranking drugs dealer who

> hadn't paid?

>

> Which was it pinecone?

Brilliant !

This is the forum at its best !

Daily Mail, Mumsnet - I think you might be onto something Pinecone. If I were you, I'd just ignore the EDF's pitchfork-wielding yokels. They just don?t want to have to imagine their cosy, bucolic domain could potentially be disrupted by an icy blast of urban reality - especially when they?re having to fork out so much money to live in this little corner of God?s earthly paradise.

pinecone Wrote:

> as i have said before when the EDF is in full cry,

> it resembles something of a cross between the

> daily mail and mumsnet.

Well Pinecone, what can I say? When people on the forum reject your argument, you resort to insulting them. Frankly, to compare them to the Daily Fail when you think hanging people would help (something even Maggie Thatcher refused to reintroduce, despite her personal support for it), is pretty hypocritical.

Put bluntly, if you think the person who got stabbed was a drug dealer or a gangbanger, prove it. Provide evidence of some kind. Otherwise you're just assuming, and it starts to smell bigoted.

And DaSilva? If you don't like it round here, feel free to leave. I doubt anyone will miss you.

Anyway, I'm leaving this one now before I get too wound up. Gang culture and crime has existed for a long time and will go on existing until folk like Pinecone recognise that we need a pluralistic approach to it. Effective policing and harsh prison sentences for serious offenders? Yes please. Youth outreach schemes and heavy investment in education coupled with proper role models for young people. Also yes please.

Or does Pinecone ignore those ideas and prefer to shoot them in the street?

DaSilva I don't think anyone's shocked over the (wow, so 'edgy') thought of a small-time petty gang member strutting the streets of ED, it's more a reluctance to allow foolish and unfounded speculation because that betrays bigotry and ignorance - which we all have a duty to kick into touch.

You prefer something different ?