Where do you buy your clothes (for you, not kids)?

Pickle

I need some new clothes, but am struggling for inspiration on the standard Next, La Redoute, Lands End type websites.

I'm a stay at home Mum, 39, looking for smart casuals. I'm a skinny jeans and nice top type of person at this time of year... have plenty of jeans, but in need of new tops/dresses. I don't want to look like an old lady, but at the same time need to appreciate I'm not a 20 something any more.

Any recommendations for (online) stores that won't break the budget (limited)?

Thanks!

I love uniqlo for knits including cardis. They do some nice, classic shirts too. Oliver Bonas and ED have some nice dresses, I only buy in the sales though! Also like Zara. We need Belle to come to this thread, she's a great source of fashion advice!

he he thanks crystal7, though I find this type of clothing (casual-ish,for school run etc) the hardest to source, always end up scrabbling around for something clean/that fits. For what it's worth (having had some good advice from the fabulous Queen Bee styling a year or so ago):

Tops: H&M surprisingly good (and obv cheap) for your basic stripey tops (I find they don't have a long long life but will do you about a year with v regular wear), cheap and cheerful. Gap yes, but also Vero Moda/Vila (can buy their stuff in Oliver Bonas) have some nice slightly dressier options. As above, OB best in sale as their own brand of stuff has hiked up prices now, and in my opinion, though nice it doesn't wash v well.

Knitwear - Gap but also Hobbs particularly in the sale do great knitwear - am a big fan of their little cropped cardies. M&S too.

Slightly dressier tops/blouses - I love Massimo Dutti, similarish to Zara but less trend related. Have bought some really nice things there recently.

Dresses: People Tree, Great Plains and Boden as already mentioned in sales, Zara/Mango and just discovered Mint Velvet - lovely. Although a while back I decided Topshop et al were too young for me, they have suprisingly got some good dresses, and I like Miss Selfridge from time to time too.

Their stuff doesn't really suit me but the H&M owned Cos and &other stories, plus Banana Republic - all good again for the less trend-related stuff - I wouldn't say 'classic' because their stuff is more modern and you get edgy pieces, but just somehow seem good for our age range!

Finally for online shopping you ASOS covers so many bases, makes life a lot easier, so I would def start there! Their own range stuff is pretty good and LOADS of dresses.

sorry, not many new suggestions here! will post again if remember any more.

this dressing for your age thing is really difficult. I keep buying shirts and tops in the smart/casual range to wear with jeans - but then hubby says I am starting to dress like a middle aged lady. Ignoring the obvious point that I am indeed a middle aged lady and in a previous age would be nicely contained in a pinafore and curlers by now - what can I wear that is "flattering" to my no-longer-young belly (ah Pickle how I envy you!) and yet young enough to keep hubby happy. have no desire to look like either an M&S Per Una advert or as mutton dressed as lamb!

any suggestions for places to look for these magical clothes???

Comptoir des Cotonniers (when the sale is on), H&M - great for nice simple slubby/drapey t-shirts - you just have to hunt through the dross. If money was no object then I'd be quite happy to dress exclusively in Comptoir des Cotonniers - love their clothes! They have a branch at the end of Kings Road close to Sloane Square.

Second the Anthropologie recommendation. Their stuff makes me feel very feminine, but not too trendy. Why not support a more local shop, like Bias on Bellenden Rd? The owner tries to stock Anthro-like pieces, but with a more fair-trade/made in the UK emphasis.

Absolutely fab suggestions, thank you to all of you! I spent a couple of hours last night looking at all of the websites, you all have very good taste.

I've just stumbled across some quite nice (dare I say cool?) pieces that seem cheap, brand "Yumi". Anyone have any experience? Like the look of a couple of their knitted dresses (I'm a boots with knitted dress, over skinny jeans fan) and might take a risk on a jumper featuring meerkats...

I've had Yumi stuff before Pickle. I wouldn't buy it again. I'm a 14 and mostly order 16s because I like looser fits on top. I ordered a couple bits from Yumi a long time ago, couldn't even get my arms in. Their size 16 is like a UK size 10, totally wrong. I found the materials really artificial and cheap too. Others might have different experiences from me but thats my pennies worth.

I shop everywhere. Topshop & H&M mainly. No trousers from H&M though, I come up like 3 sizes bigger than I am. I don't like that! H&M for tops though, oh yes and if you shop online you can get away with voucher codes giving ?5 off every order AND either 10% off your whole order or 25% off the highest prices item. Like to get my moneys worth. Haha.

I get a lot of bargains on www.brandalley.co.uk - only draw back is they can take ages to deliver. BUT! I am wearing today French Connection jeans which cost a tenner and I have some lovely tops from a brand called Charli, as well as various other bits and bobs.

Belle - thanks for the Asos heads up, I've never looked on that site before. Just ordered a couple of bargain tops (Oasis and River Island) and see lots of other things I like. Like the option to pay ?9.95 to get unlimited next day delivery for a year, handy for the "need it now" purchases!

Might even be worth looking at Notonthehighstreet.com got a really nice tunic top in their sale & hadn't realised how many clothes they do. Second Hush too - their on the tail end of their Jan sale at the mo with lots of bargains (plus an extra 10% off the sale price with code END14).

Find it worth peeking in on the Style & Beauty section of mumsnet for ideas.