When was East Dulwich at it's best for you?

Otta

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> as a result

> of our beat Copper George Hammond being stabbed in

> Lordship Lane.

Yeah I was only 8, but remember everyone being really upset by that. He used to go to all the schools and we all knew him and said hello when we saw him on the street. Very sad.

2000 to 2009 was blinding time.....inside 72 just rocked, the foresters, edt and the early days of the gowlett arms. Great community spirit, great fun. Used to cross LL without having to look twice for traffic! Moved to honor oak four years ago, cheaper housing and better public transport..very rarely hit ed very often, very good memories.

I suppose the best time for me in ED was when I lived here as a kid in the early 50's. I remember playing football on Goose Green with my mates although my mum wouldn't let me play in the sandpit in the childrens playground as I might get fleas!!! and in those days it was always looked after by a lady 'caretaker'. Other areas for play and adventure were the bombsites especially the Kings Arms opposite the Rye which still had the air raid shelters on that corner opposite the open air swimming lido [is that still there?].

Goose Green had a concrete wall enclosing a large square area which, as I understood it, was a water storage area, a resource for the Fire Brigade during air raids. I remember going to school at, was it St John's?, in North Cross Road and later to Grove Vale junior school, in fact I'm still in touch with two of the boys I went there with thanks to Friends Reunited.

What prompted me to recall these memories was a recent Bargain Hunt programme when two contestants bought, of all things, two crash helmets with the name Everoak on. This set me thinking about the factory in East Dulwich Road and, as a eight/nine year old, being fascinated by the bits of cork used in the linings of the helmets which could be found in their yard. I lived in Crystal Palace Road and would think nothing of walking up to Hornimans Museum with my mates or over to Bassano Street the other side of Lordship Lane to go to Cubs. Then of course there was always Dulwich Hamlet Football Ground, then in the Ishmian[?] League, and on one occasion waiting outside to get the autograph of [at the time] the famous Alf Bond the one-arm referee!!! And what about Freddie Mills the boxer often seen training in Ruskin Park who always had time to talk to the kids.

Ayway enough for now, all this from seeing two helmets on Bargain Hunt!!

Paul.

Must have been in the 50's when I lived there,went to Heber Road school headmaster was Mr Heaster,left there and went to Friern Road girls school near Piermont green and opposite Peckham Rye Park this was after eleven plus had Miss Flack as a teacher.Lived in Upland Road and then Overhill road.Still in touch with friends I had in Dulwich.Got married in St Peters church opposite Grove Tavern,Had a great young life there was a great area to live,my sister lived in Dulwich until she passed away 2006.I left there and migrated to Australia in 1969,have returned to uk a couple of times and the last timed walked around all the areas that I played in as a youngster.These are all good memories of past friends and family.Love my life now in Australia,past and present is all part of your life.