When was East Dulwich at it's best for you?

Otta

Lots of threads on this forum about change in one way or another, and it got me thinking about when I most liked East Dulwich. I'm interested to hear what others think.

So, FOR ME, the best East Dulwich was 2003 - 2007.

A lot of the reason for this is purely because I was at a time in my life when I had money to spend, and no responsibilities.

Steak sandwiches and reading the paper in Inside 72 on a week day (when you and about 3 of your mates were all on sickys). The Vale was new and for a brief period provided some cracking Friday/Saturday nights, before the owner basically ruined it by being an arsehole to everyone.

Yilmaz kebab. (always superior to stab n crime)

?1 pizzas from the crappy short lived chicken shop on Northcross Road.

But most of all, The CPT. the people that came and went behind the bar, the punters, the quiz nights, the after hours parties upstairs. And the bar tabs!

Black Cherry opening was cool.

Oh, and The Drum!

As I say, this was the time when we were in a big circle of friends, all young with a bit of cash to spend, so I have got rose tinted glasses on, but that's my favourite period of ED life.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If i was at that stage in life now it would still

> be amazing, though there's nowhere quite like that

> era CPT left.

I don't know where I'd hang out if I was 10 years younger. Can't imagine the younger me enjoying Adventure Bar or Bohos very much, guess it would be the EDT.

As a blow in, 2004 till 2007 for me. Inside 72, Bev used to let me in before noon on a Saturday for a Guiness as she was setting up. The Lions tour shown live in The Mag with early boozy brekkies was good times as well. Like Otta, was younger and more durable in those days.

Still love living in ED and a regular Saturday afo perch at the side of the bar in The Bishop.

The 1970s was a good time for me personally. back then, Rye Lane was the place to shop- Sainsbury's M&S etc.. And ED was a rough round the edges but full of personality neighborhood. We always had the best pubs from the parmy to the EDT, Plough, Grove Tavern etc etc.. My best memories are always to do with local public houses.

Louisa.

Same here Louisa, the 70's and early 80's were great for me. The Uplands, The Grove, The Magdala. Shopping down Rye Lane was the highlight of the weekend - Ravel Shoes (who I later worked for!) the market next to Marks, the record dept. at Jones and Higgins - it had everything you wanted! My first date was at the Peckham Odeon... great times!!

Yep - 2003-2005 for me also. The Lane had a totally different feel on a Friday/Sat night. I was younger and single, although ED was never that good for finding girls then for some reason? (or it was just me).

It had a less pretentious feel but was "on the turn", as an incomer it felt like a real find and was one of the few places I could afford a flat and not get mugged regularly. William Rose was a lingerie shop. Jerk Chicken was always open but always empty. Loved the bar scene then. The EDT was as random as ever and yes, its a forum cliche but Inside 72 deserves to be spoken of in reverential tones. Even if it was a bit "messy" shall we say. It was the people, music and general acceptance of all that made it brilliant.

As Otta knows, I didn't ever get warm vibes from the CPT, but perhaps thats because I never connected with the regulars or didn't have the right kind of working class credentials.

As someone that was born in 78, I obviously don't have the pub memories of Louisa and GSJ57 from the 70s and 80s, but I do remember being around the CPT a lot because my dad worked and drank there, and I've said to him many times that it felt like a real community back then in a way that is probably gone for good in London now.

Interestingly, I'm Facebook friends with the majority of my primary school class, and not one of them is in the area today.

When I first lived here(1993) and didn't have kids it was a nice place to live and cheap. To go out then, with the honourable exception of the Comedy Club upstairs at thh East Dulwich Tavern (NOTE not EDT), it was a bit dull but not dangerous or anything, just quiet drink territory, and i drunk in most - Clockhouse, Herne, LP, East Dulwich Tavernt and the Crystal Palace Tavern, if i went out then locally I went out in Camberwell and eventually moved there. I always thought it would come up but missed the transformation to a going out area by virtue of being in a far more happening place (imo) Camberwell, when I had kids I came back over the hill again (2007). Doesn't seem as funky now to me as then but then I was never here when it was 'funky' (alledgedly) or have had kids so don't really go out enough to comment...

1960. The majic shop, where the fish and chip shop now is, before sainsburys. On the sainsburys thread, does anyone remember sainsburys freezer centre? You could buy a whole lamb, literally, cut into joints. It was before iceland. You are going back a very short way. I remember the old slag heap (that was the name for useless coal/coke)at bottom or lordship lane. My grandad lived on the dog kennel hill estate (his old place on ruby street, old kent road was pulled down), he used to get an old pram and fill that up with slag heaps to burn the fire. When he said "run" my goodness you had to move pretty quick or else the watchman would catch you.

lindylou. I remember the Sainsbury's freezer centre which was before Bejam took over the premises. I also have vague memories of the coal heap- you often got some of the old rag & bone men (really showing my age) down there looking for bargains. They kind of fazed out as we got into the 80s. The pub really was the centre of the community back then- the storytellers and regulars so many fond memories- not saying it was some sort of utopia far from it, lots of fights and quite poor in general, but memories are there to be made, and my fondest ones were made back then.

Louisa.

Ravel Shoes! Now that brings back memories - they were at the height of fashion during my school days ...I was so happy when I finally bought a pair :)

GSJ57 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Same here Louisa, the 70's and early 80's were

> great for me. The Uplands, The Grove, The Magdala.

> Shopping down Rye Lane was the highlight of the

> weekend - Ravel Shoes (who I later worked for!)

> the market next to Marks, the record dept. at

> Jones and Higgins - it had everything you wanted!

> My first date was at the Peckham Odeon... great

> times!!