dulwich picture gallery cafe - poor value?

alba

If I remember rightly, last summer they did erect a temporary marquee in the grounds as a cheaper alternative that sold tea, coffee and cakes.

work it out. They charge what they do to keep you out. They don't need you, there are plenty of people with the cash to go regularly and enough "special occasioners" to top up the attendance. They want to keep the oiks out.

Quite simply, check the prices before you order! Clearly enough people are happy to pay (since most of them are probably visiting the gallery for the first time as a special trip), so the place stays in business. Simple economics really...

I agree that I should have done the maths and then the ?21 wouldn't have come as a shock. I neglected to include the fact that ice-cream isn't actually on the menu, but when we asked if they had any, they kindly said they did. But I didn't imagine it would be ?4.95 for each bowl.

I do have some sympathy for the cafe - I supppose if the ice-cream was cheaper then everyone who frequents the Pavillion Cafe would pile in. It's probably the only way of maintaining a more upmarket, more grown up atmosphere.

On a positive note, the Dulwich Picture Gallery itself represents fantastic value. We went on a free tour of the pictures (it's every Sunday at 3pm) and it was brilliant - the tour guide was just so informative and interesting. No celebrities though!

?4.95 for a bowl of ice cream is too expensive. I'd've not paid it, and said, quite simply, that I thought it was poor value for money. Then again, I'd have checked the menu forensically for exorbitant prices. I like the place, but its service is patchy. When it's more than 50% full, you have to practically stand up to get the attention of the waiting staff. It's at times like that that I don't like paying a 12.5% service charge.