Heathrow or Gatwick from ED?

Personally I prefer to fly from Heathrow, I find they have a greater selection and more flexible flights than Gatwick.

(The airport choice very much depends on the flight you want to get though.)

I always use The Keen Group for my airport cabs, (they absorbed Dulwich Cabs who I used before that) and have never had a problem with them, for either drop offs or pick ups.

Gatwick for Queasijet.

Take a 197 bus with your Oystercard, from outside the Horniman Museum for 50 minutes to Addison Road E. Croydon for the railway station, then approx ?5 on-the-spot ticket to Gatwick in a clean, fast, frequent train service.

I fly a couple times per month and will go for: LCY, LGW , LHR in that order

The only sensible option for LHR with luggage is a car/taxi whereas LGW and LCY are pretty simple on public transport

For LGW: get a train from ED, Honour Oak or Forest Hill - change at Croydon

WRT the hassle with kids,etc: we've been taking the train to LGW since ours were tiny. My other half was initially reluctant, but it really is easy (as long as its not rush hour) - and it means you can have a beer on the way home without worrying about the drive !

Good thread. Have only recently moved to the area and was wondering about airports. Have previously flown from City (which I also LOVE) and imagine is super easy from here (train, DLR). Had no idea about LGW/LHR tho'; I imagine a taxi from LHR is quite expensive, so will avoid if at all possible!

I always like an alcoholic beverage en route home - I find that it makes the arduous and inevitably stressful experience much more humane...

The difference in travel time to either depends on time of day. LHR is slightly closer (25 miles) than LGW (28 miles), but you generally need to go through Central London to get to LHR which usually takes slightly longer.

Ultimately, it should depend on where you want to fly and any cost difference between LHR and LGW. I expect any difference in cab fare will be immaterial relative to any difference in airfare when travelling with a family.

City Airport is great, but the destinations are limited.

Dulwich Cars are good.

Gsirett and yummers I think you are definitely on to something with the drink on the way home. I think travelling with a toddler we will need it! ;-)

Looks like Gatwick just pips Heathrow but will see what the difference is with flights/times. Lane lover see your point about time of day affecting things.

Thank you all so much for your advice/recommendations. It is really useful.

The only downside with City is that you can get bad delays in the winter (mainly) - last year I was stuck there all day waiting for a flight to Amsterdam (50 min flight time!) due to very localised fog which is apparently quite common. LHR and LGW flights left just fine on the same day.

Much easier airport to navigate and get away from when it does work mind you.

If you are using public transport at the weekend remember to factor in the inevitable rail replacement services. I used Airport Direct Services a week ago and it cost ?45 to Gatwick, which I thought was reasonable. I heard about ADS through recommendations on this forum.

I also use ADS taxis and would recommend them highly.

City would be my first choice but it's rare for me to fly from there as the choice of destinations is more limited. I usually choose Gatwick over Heathrow as it seems to be a bit more reliable. The runways at Heathrow are pretty much at capacity so anything goes wrong and the delays mount up really quickly, and they seemed to struggle more with getting the airport moving again with the snow.