Never Ending Story (book shop) closing down?

Sue

Oh no! This is terrible as it is such a nice shop and the owner is so open to children coming in and having a seat in the kiddie corner browsing books! What to do!? It was always such a nice little respite on NCR away from the street market. :(

That's a real shame. It's a lovely shop and the service was always great whenever I was in there. Although I have to say I'm much more likely to get books from the library for my kids than buy them - they get through so many. I'd only ever go in there for the (very) occasional present. Perhaps too many others felt the same way for it to survive.

and there within it the problem, its cheaper to get books of the net or borrow them than in most cases to go to a book shop. which is a shame because its one of lifes little pleasures browsing the shelfs, i,ve spent manys an afternoon lost in foyles.

I know the owner well - mainly she is closing because she wants to focus on her consultancy business - Future Matters Consultancy and the bookshop was just taking up too much of her time. It is a lovely shop - I loved browsing in the shop and chatting to Venita the owner.

Coach Beth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know the owner well - mainly she is closing

> because she wants to focus on her consultancy

> business - Future Matters Consultancy and the

> bookshop was just taking up too much of her time.

> It is a lovely shop - I loved browsing in the shop

> and chatting to Venita the owner.

Perhaps Venita can sell it to someone who will then keep it open? Just a thought. Good luck to her consultancy business, I know she ran a lot of counselling programmes for children and families.

I'm with Gubodge - it's a nice-looking little shop, but whenever I've been there I've always been disappointed by the range. Sad to see any bookshop go, but I still think there's room for a really good independent bookshop in ED (adult and kids) that I would gladly spend my money in.

I'm with Gubodge - it's a nice-looking little shop, but whenever I've been there I've always been disappointed by the range. Sad to see any bookshop go, but I still think there's room for a really good independent bookshop in ED (adult and kids) that I would gladly spend my money in.

Yeah lovely owner, good location but not enough space to make it a great bookshop. Also, its hard to be a small shop selling kids books because so much of your stock get trashed unless you become Chener-esque nazis, and then nobody with children will visit which kind of defeats the point. A Waterstones is what we need (takes cover), seriously.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm with Gubodge - it's a nice-looking little

> shop, but whenever I've been there I've always

> been disappointed by the range. Sad to see any

> bookshop go, but I still think there's room for a

> really good independent bookshop in ED (adult and

> kids) that I would gladly spend my money in.

>

> Yeah lovely owner, good location but not enough

> space to make it a great bookshop. Also, its hard

> to be a small shop selling kids books because so

> much of your stock get trashed unless you become

> Chener-esque nazis, and then nobody with children

> will visit which kind of defeats the point. A

> Waterstones is what we need (takes cover),

> seriously.

Waterstones? Oof, please, no.

The staff don't have any passion for anything but a paycheck and there is no sense of interest when you ask for something that might could be deemed slightly off piste.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Waterstones. I find most of the staff quite passionate about their books actually.

Shame Never Ending Story closing, it was a good stop for a present for a particularly brave child following jabs at the doctor/trip to the dentist next door etc.