Best outdoor ice rink?

I'd like to take my almost 7 year old daughter ice skating over the christmas holidays. Any recommendations for the best outdoor rink? I was thinking Somerset House but I see there are also rinks at Tower of London, Canary Wharf, Natural History Museum and London Eye. It will be her first time skating. I'd welcome any suggestions/advice!

Somerset House is beautiful and it has the free penguin area so it's good for kids who are learning - though you're stuck in quite a small space there and also the main rink is quite small. Nice cafe next door though and just such a lovely-looking location.

I've also been to the Winter Wonderland one in Hyde Park a couple of times (not this year) which is much bigger and also Christmassy and atmospheric, though obviously you have to run the gauntlet of the whole theme park surrounding it, which does get very busy (and expensive!). Best to go early in the morning before it is packed.

I've been to Somerset House and Natural History Museum in previous years but have to say that the Tower of London one is by far the best. I don't know if it's just not as well known, but it was beautifully quiet last Friday lunchtime - only about 10 of us on the ice. Excellent hot choc afterwards too. Might be an option if she's likely to want to avoid crowds when learning.

Thanks, that's good to know. Did you book in advance for Tower of London or just turn up?

Yak Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been to Somerset House and Natural History

> Museum in previous years but have to say that the

> Tower of London one is by far the best. I don't

> know if it's just not as well known, but it was

> beautifully quiet last Friday lunchtime - only

> about 10 of us on the ice. Excellent hot choc

> afterwards too. Might be an option if she's likely

> to want to avoid crowds when learning.