Might Be opening a New Bar/Cafe in E.Dulwich

nico1

i couldn't agree more with the references to paris, NY etc... and all these ideas but the culture here in the UK is completely different. having family on the continent i can vouch that parisian cafe culture opens its' doors to everyone (except, ironically the push chair)revellers home from a late night, business breakfast>lunch, the post school crowd (can't see anyone tolerating that in ED, they have enough problems with toddlers and babies), dinner set and back to the night time crowd. i have never really witnessed this in the UK: where cafes are like a local living room.

good luck nico, i'm intrigued to see what you open. my advice is just do what you think is best, you seem to have a pretty clear idea in your head already.

Having watched a lot of Deadwoord lately, I would like it done up like The Gem, with lots of whiskey, card tables, and a brothel upstairs... Just so long as you as the owner don't take to cutting the locals throats when they get out of hand, that might attract the authorities.

Why don't you open it in West Dulwich as there is a need for this type of thing and surely East Dulwich has enough cafes/bars etc? There is an empty shop where Cheeky Monkeys used to be in the parade of shops opposite Tescos on Croxted Road.

Something with a rustic feel would be really nice. Lots of old wine bottles with candles dripping down, mood lighting, some exposed brick work, wine in pitchers, old wooden tables. Somewhere with a lovely relaxed feeling, rather than a swanky bar.