Haberdashers' East Dulwich - 751 families supporting

James - do HA really have the project team capacity since a) they havent started building the new free primary school (although they have now got planning permission) and b) they havent finished rebuilding the other primary school in the Federation (not sure what stage this is at)?

Hi James,

All I am saying is that IF the Charter bid is serious then it is wise to feed into it so that SHOULD it win, the outcome is the one that the community wants - eg with respect to the admissions criteria.

The final decision sits with DofE so you can't say at this stage which bid will win or not.

Just wondering, does anyone know when construction would have to begin by in order for children to start in Sept 2016? Is there a point beyond which a school opening would have to pushed back to Sept 2017? Who actually owns the site at the moment?

Parents will need to fill out applications in a little over a years time - it all seems like a really tight timescale given the site is still wasteland... Is is realistic? (I really hope it is!)

Hi njc97,

Yes, Haberdashers' Aske's project team would be free and have sufficient capacity when required for the new ED school.

Hi Splendid,

I'm sure both free school applications will be made in the November round. They would be decided Jan/Feb. Then into planning permissions etc and property/land contracts. Building works would need to start around September 2015 to open September 2016. So the key event if application, decision and site.

I think with applications for new schools not yet built you apply directly to the school (details will be made public I am sure on how to do this) and also fill in your 6 choices to Southwark/Lewisham etc, so in effect you may have 2 excellent schools to choose from.

I'm part of the steering group - from our discussion it seems very do-able to have a school ready in time for 2016, given that of course it would only be year 7 starting. In terms of support for those children starting at a very new school I have been part of discussions and I'm reassured and more than confident that support from an established federation would be to hand continually.

But other than making a personal choice which is absolutely none of your business and nothing to do with you, what exactly do you think that James Barber has done wrong?

Thanks largely to him there is going to be a new secondary school in an area that desperately needs it. What a bastard huh?

njc97 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James - do HA really have the project team

> capacity since a) they havent started building the

> new free primary school (although they have now

> got planning permission) and b) they havent

> finished rebuilding the other primary school in

> the Federation (not sure what stage this is at)?

As a parent whose children attend HA primary at present I would have serious doubts about their ability to open a school in promised times. One primary burnt down Easter 2010 and there is still have no clear idea when this is to be reopened (currently rumoured to be around Easter 2015). The free school yet to be built despite assurances this was to be completed by Sept 2014. The federation is so large and expansive parents concerns are entirely lost in the machine.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi clux,

> With a new secondary school on the Dulwich

> Hospital site you should be fine if you live

> within a 2 mile radius Setpmebr 2016.

> If you want to email directly happy to work

> through the likely scenarios with you.

That's a reassuring message but not if the admissions were to be by lottery. I appreciate the arguments in favour of lottery but favour the relative certainty of admissions by distance only.

Whatever happens, and whichever bid is approved, and either would be a great addition to the local range of options, it's pretty clear that we wouldn't be at this stage without local councilor support in galvanising and organising support.

So - thank you James and the steering group for getting this going (even if there's been a bit of piggy backing on a good idea).

The issue I have with this steering group is around transparency, accountability and due democratic process.

1. Just who are this steering group? What are their backgrounds and what makes them best placed to dictate which is the best school provider?

2. Just how representative is this group? From the picture on James Barber's website I would suggest not very. All white, all middle aged and looking as if they enjoy a lovely glass of sherry on a Sunday afternoon. Their socio economic background and ethnic background would be at odds from the diverse community this new school would serve.

3. Why should the community follow such an unrepresentative group's advice? They would not even access this new state school whoever runs it. Mr Barber (and no doubt others in his steering group) have already chosen private education. This comes at a considerable cost.

It would be my view that this is an out of touch, unrepresentative group who do not represent the community views.

"3. Why should the community follow such an unrepresentative group's advice?"

The community doesn't need to follow anyone's advise. The Department of Education will make a decision and the community will get a new school based on that decision.

Believe it or not, I'd probably be on the same side as you in a debate about state education and private education. But this is not the place for it, and you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder and a problem with James Barber, which is basically making your posts just come across as sounding malicious.

nicmc Wrote:

> njc97 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > James - do HA really have the project team

> > capacity since a) they havent started building

> the

> > new free primary school (although they have now

> > got planning permission) and b) they havent

> > finished rebuilding the other primary school in

> > the Federation (not sure what stage this is

> at)?

>

> As a parent whose children attend HA primary at

> present I would have serious doubts about their

> ability to open a school in promised times. One

> primary burnt down Easter 2010 and there is still

> have no clear idea when this is to be reopened

> (currently rumoured to be around Easter 2015). The

> free school yet to be built despite assurances

> this was to be completed by Sept 2014. The

> federation is so large and expansive parents

> concerns are entirely lost in the machine.

Thank you for pointing this out, I'm surprised no-one else has or maybe I shouldn't be.

Speaking for myself I have children in year 1 and 3, so my own children are the reason I'm on the steering group. Others will no doubt comment too, but I am almost 100% sure that each and every person on the group also has children they hope will go to that school, excepting James, who is representing his constituents who have those children of that age.(regardless of politics, he's been elected, that's his job). For what it's worth I'm not a member of a political party.

If you are talking demographics I can hold my hand up to being white and (as of a few weeks back, gulp) over 40. Steering group people are whoever came forward first - I'm not sure what else we could have done in that regard.... really I don't - and that's a whole issue in itself - perhaps a wider one. You may have noticed that we've had a lot of public and private discussion about ensuring the entry system is as fair as possible and that we find a way to ensure that all socio economic groups get a fair chance to be part of a great school. I for one dearly want my children to be able to go to a great state school accurately reflecting the true make up of the local area. We are lucky enough to have that as our primary school currently - that's all I want from secondary education.

I think it's 'dirty, cheap, politics by the 'man' and the 'party to suggest that 93% of ED residents (if we go by the national statistics of only 7% going private)who can't afford private education, unlike James Barber and a huge proportion of ED people who would love to send their kids to The Charter but don't live in the catchment, as does Mr. Barber should be even leading this ?untransparent? steering group!!

You got to ask yourself! Why so consistently against The Charter; statistically the best state school in ED and on it's way up and why so pro HA, statistically a school, sadly, in decline. Transparency please!

Do you think when it opens James Barber will be sending his kids to HA...ha,ha?!?

Could anyone - James ? - update us on the situation regarding the acquistion of the site for proposed new school .

Is it owned by a health Authority ( or some such body ) ? Are they in agreement about selling some of it for a school ? Has a price been agreed ? Presumably the funding for the purchase will only be available once a sponsor is decided on ?

How does the Dfe work out how much capital is available for land purchase ? Or will the land be leased ?

On the question of diversity. I would have thought that the location of the proposed site of the new school and an admissions policy based on distance would result in a diverse student intake.

As the existing Charter school is so close to the proposed site it would be interesting (if it is available) to look at the data for The Charter School. I would think that the data would show a great deal of diversity in terms of their student population and one that accurately reflects the local community

There is no transparency in this steering group. It's politically motivated, Representing a very narrow section of our community.

James Barber, who choose expensive private education, has no place trying to lead the campaign for a state school within the heart of our community.

Out of touch, unrepresentative and elitist. Stick to your public school Mr Barber, who have no place leading the campaign for our local community school

Stateeducation Wrote:

> James Barber, who choose expensive private

> education, has no place trying to lead the

> campaign for a state school within the heart of

> our community.

>

> Out of touch, unrepresentative and elitist. Stick

> to your public school Mr Barber, who have no place

> leading the campaign for our local community

> school

No wonder he's so against Charter (quite clear from the first couple of pages on this thread), he lives in the catchment unlike many who crave a Charter place, yet sends his children to a private school. It would be embarrassing to promote a school then turn their back on it for self interest.

HA supposedly ticked all the boxes, how thorough was the process? Not very by the look of it, if they can't deliver on time projects they are currently involved in what chance is there of having a new school in ED on time. Was this question even asked?

A cheap attempt at electioneering.