Haberdashers' East Dulwich - 751 families supporting

I agree with Scruffy Mummy re the Steering Group not being a waste of time. All views and inputs from the community are hugely valuable whether it is via the Steering Group, The Charter or any other avenue and are surely going to help the process of getting a great school up and running - whoever ends up doing it.

And as far as the Steering Group bid, I can't see why they would not be able to put forward their submission regardless of what any other interested party may decide to do.

As far as admissions policies are concerned I don't know how the various options would or would not affect any new school on that site. But in terms of diversity, considering the location wouldn't a policy based on distance would result in quite a diverse student population?

I really hope that alongside "healthy competition" that people will keep the main purpose in sight - the needs of the young people in our community.

re the steering groups time: I suppose that's just all part of the process and presumably they wanted to give serious and rigorous thought to the various options they were considering in order to come to

what they felt was the right conclusion. That inevitably takes time.

Personally no, because I wouldn't feel that it had amounted to nothing. I would consider it a normal part of such a process. The steering group would (and will) still be able to submit their bid in the way they want with the partners that they want. But I do respect that is my personal view others might see it differently.

Southwark recently updated its forecasts to show by 2018 a shortage of 19 forms of entry for year 7 pupils.

The proposed Haberdashers' Aske's East Dulwich College would provide 6 forms of entry from 2016 where the shortage starts.

Clearly Southwark will need another two secondary schools> The Charter School could be well placed with more time to provide one of them. That would be a great result for Southwark residents. It also recognises the extra time for a fabulous bid The Charter School will need.

This would indeed be a fantastic outcome. My only worry is if Haberdashers' Aske's and Charter go head to head over this particular bid, whether it's going to take longer to sort out - in other words we miss out on a Sep 2016 opening while the DFE have to go through the process of choosing between the two. Please reassure me this won't happen?

I'm delighted that Haberdasher's Aske's are on board, by the way - heard lots of good things about them.

Good news to get a new secondry school, although I'm not sure Haberdshers is right. As a Federeration they seem to be extending themselves too far. They should probably be making sure the schools they do have under their control are working; their results are rather all over the place.

I find it strange that a Southwark councillor is looking outside the borough for a provider. But then Mr Barber does send his children to Alleyns, and has never been a supporter (with his feet) of Southwark's many outstanding local state schools. Something, I'm sure, he does not wish to advertise. Politicians! One hopes the Lib Dems don't hi-jack this. They'd like to take credit for the new cinema too. Nothing to do with them.

I hope the council looks to Charter which has excellent links with the borough's primary schools, is an outstanding school and has an excellent track record of opening a school and making it work. One only needs to look at Prendergast Vale to see how hard that can be.

Hi albert,

I've PM'd you. I can't respond without sharing details of my private family life and things about my children. I've never used my family for political purposes.

The Steering Group looked outside the borough for a provider. We've enough Harris secondary schools in East Dulwich the most obvious provider in Southwark. The Charter had never previously expressed any interest and when I asked them 2 1/2 years ago about whether they'd be interested in opening a primary school they were very clear they had no intention of ever opening another school. Suddenly when another school is proposed they want to open it.

When we in confidence contacted Prendergast and Haberdashers', the former said no but almost immediately we were contacted by The Charter. The very recent ex.head of The Charter School is now at Prendergast.

As for Lib Dems taking the credit. I initiated the idea with my ward colleagues and we worked tirelessly over the winter collecting support from families. 2/3 of the current support was collected by Lib Dems.

Habderdashers' does have several schools and one has just had a poor Ofsted rating. But importantly Haberdasher's took on a failing school, has taken it from 13% 5 GCSE's at that school to 55% with Ofsted expecting further improvement. Haberdashers' have chosen to work on new schools to them that take a lot of effort rather than resting on their laurels and cruising

Cinema. For the last four years I've been talked to five different cinema providers trying to persuade one to come to Lordship Lane. I'm delighted that one of them Picturehouse now has plans. If their plans fall through I have another two willing to come to Lordship Lane.

Albert you rightly say that this should not be political and that the Lib Dems shouldn't try to claim credit.

Equally, or more so, this should not be personal and bringing up the man's children is well out of order!

And what on earth are you on about "i find it strange a southwark councillor is looking outside the borough"? Surely you want them to look wherever they need to look to find the best provider!

There is a real misunderstanding about the role of the steering group. They may have a preferred provider BUT it is not a decision for them to make. This is with the DfE. The steering group will have to prove just how much voice and support they now have for an Aske's school. Charter will have to do the same.

However I do believe that Mr Barber's politics and those of his steering group are relevant to this debate.

I find it outrageous that he can send his children to private school. Lib Dems defending state education in Dulwich. Practice what you preach Mr Barber.

I would not trust him to make a decision about state education in our community when he quite clearly does not value or trust state education for his own children

Xposted with Stateed

This issue has become political with both a big and a little 'p' and very divisive. We now have Haberdasher-rooters and Charter-rooters throwing barbed comments at each other and this is not helpful.

I think part of the problem is that many were led to believe that once James drummed up enough support for his vision and the steering group made their choice then it was decided. DofE would simply rubber stamp. Job done.

It is a simplistic view - the real world does not work like that. For the sake of the community, let us have an open mind. Having two bids from two excellent schools surely is a great place to be?

Bloody hell, I was trying to take your side!

I think you've done a great piece of work for your local area.

I just find it cringe worthy when everything comes back to political point scoring. And equally I find it annoying that people will be so negitive about this just because they don't support your party.

Party politics should play no part in this is my opinion, but it always will.

Edit to add that this was in response to James, and I've cross posted with the previous two posts

Stateeducation Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would not trust him to make a decision about

> state education in our community when he quite

> clearly does not value or trust state education

> for his own children

I don't speak for the man, but perhaps he felt that due to lack of local provision he had little choice but to go private, and has now worked hard to change that situation for other families by fighting for a new school...

Either way, his family and personal life have absolutely no place in this discussion. Dirty cheap shots.

I am confused that an Ofsted inspection is thought to be a challenge for The Charter School when one of the Haberdashers' Schools - Knights Academy - last month received an inadequate rating by Ofsted - mainly because of bad behaviour. Aren't they going to be weighed down sorting that out?

bornagain Wrote:

> For the sake of the community, let

> us have an open mind. Having two bids from two

> excellent schools surely is a great place to be?

It seems to be where we are at, so yes, no point crying over spilled milk, hopefully the bids will be good and an excellent school will open in the area whichever it may be...

Absolutely agree, Otta, it is low to bring James's family into this.

Also would like to reiterate that the steering group is NOT political. We made that clear from the start. We got together to try to find an appropriate provider to take an application forward, and that is what we have done. Of course it's now over to DfE - we appreciate that.

I have never met James Barber, and neither incidentally do I happen to share many of his political views, but along with many other parents of primary school age children would like to offer heartfelt thanks for his work on this project.

The need for a new local secondary school has been looming for a long time, and whereas many (myself included) have fretted at dinner parties, talked in general terms of moving away, but generally buried our heads in the sand, he has actually initiated this campaign which appears to have brought about results and action.

That to me is a local politician doing his job well, and the bitchy comments now being posted about where he decides to send his children is to me an illustration of the EDF at its worst (incidentally if indeed he has no vested interests in securing a place at this school for his own family then that to me makes the effort he's put in on the project even more impressive)

Why on earth shouldn't the Lib Dems claim credit? He's a Lib Dem councillor for goodness sake - it would be odd if they didn't...!

What we need now is for the new school to get the go ahead and be built as quickly as possible - 2 years seems pretty tight. Given the steering group have explained their reasons for choosing Askes then anything that might slow down that process should be avoided. I don't know whether Charter's proposal might do that - but if it might, then please Charter have a rethink. Were your counter proposal to somehow delay the process and push the school back by another year then I suspect there will be an enormous amount of local ill feeling towards you.

If not then great - let the best proposal win, and let's get this school up and running asap!!

Well said SplendidLike Peckham (and great name!).

SplendidLikePeckham Wrote:

> Why on earth shouldn't the Lib Dems claim credit?

> He's a Lib Dem councillor for goodness sake - it

> would be odd if they didn't...!

This is fair enough, but the problem is that lots of (not particularly bright) people will then be against a new school for the area simply because they don't support the Lib Dems, that's why I think it's better having politics left out of it.

SplendidLikePeckham Wrote:

>

> What we need now is for the new school to get the

> go ahead and be built as quickly as possible - 2

> years seems pretty tight. Given the steering group

> have explained their reasons for choosing Askes

> then anything that might slow down that process

> should be avoided. I don't know whether Charter's

> proposal might do that - but if it might, then

> please Charter have a rethink. Were your counter

> proposal to somehow delay the process and push the

> school back by another year then I suspect there

> will be an enormous amount of local ill feeling

> towards you.

>

> If not then great - let the best proposal win, and

> let's get this school up and running asap!!

The Charter website says they hope to open in 2 years time.

http://www.charter.southwark.sch.uk/news/?pid=3&nid=6&storyid=168

For those of you who are anxious about the situation for a new school, perhaps worth getting involved in this bid?

Hi bornagain,

Clearly supporting a bid will help make it happen.

We now appear to have two bids. One that already has 511 families supporting it, has been working on this for over 6 months, and a school provider that has successfully negotiated through the complex and challenging free school process. They're also fully supported by a charity in place since 1369. Versus another campaign started yesterday with no publicly stated support and has never successfully applied and opened a free school. I'm sure they could but it will take them more time and effort and very probably is less likely to be approved.

so yes join a campaign but do consider which one is most likely to succeed and provide the extra places we need.