?3.20 for an orange and lemonade in the EDT

Beej

Right that does it!! This lunchtime, I ordered a pint of orange juice and lemonade and was charged the new price of ?3.20!!!As I write this I'm still recovering from shock. After I did a double take insisting that the somewhat sheepish bartender repeat himself, I found to my relief and horror that indeed I am not yet hard of hearing and yes a glass of orange juice (not even real pressed, orange I hasten to add) and lemonade (not even real pressed lemonade, I further hasten to add) costs more than a pint of bitter!! Next time I work in a pub at lunchtime I shall drink the hard stuff and save my pennies.

ALSO since when did a mini packet of cheddars hit 100 pences!!!?? What the hell is going on? Is this just the EDT or what?

Beej

hello! - what about the bland expensive orange juice!! Look I'm a man about town, I drink all the time in ED and the shitty centre so it's not like I've got my head in the sand - but seriously I hadn't noticed the price hike! But then it's seldom I'm found not drinking the hard stuff....seems a reasonable excuse to carry on downing the units.

That's as maybe but why go into a pub if you're not going to drink alcohol?

Quite, he sounds like the worst type of orange juice drinking, salad muncher imaginable. Without meaning to be too offensive, we're better off without his type in our pubs. Back in the day he'd have been lucky just losing ?3.20 if he ordered that at the EDT.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's as maybe but why go into a pub if you're

> not going to drink alcohol?

If you're driving / pregnant / on the wagon / likely to be operating heavy machinery later then having a soft drink may be necessary. You may be in the pub to meet friends or just to have some time away from home or work or just because you like the ambience of the pub (rather than just sitting in the park with a lemonade).

And agree, ?3.20 is ridiculous for an orange and lemonade.

Soft drinks have been a similar price as beer in pubs for quite a while, as far as I'm aware. I think it's pretty much unjustifiable, seeing as a) it's reconstituted on-site and costs almost nothing, and b) it's almost encouraging people to get boozed up.

But I expect someone will tell us it's down to the pubcos...

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Quite, he sounds like the worst type of orange

> juice drinking, salad muncher imaginable. Without

> meaning to be too offensive, we're better off

> without his type in our pubs. Back in the day he'd

> have been lucky just losing ?3.20 if he ordered

> that at the EDT.

Not that it's at all the point - but for the record, there is nothing wrong with my alcohol intake, I was dragged up in Glasgow so could probably drink you all under the table. I was in the EDT at 11am doing my accounts on my laptop, and using the WIFI - I can't work at home....so yeh accounts and morning and slight hangover = orange and lemonade. And, without 'meaning to be too offensive' I'm not the one with 'fairy' as my forum name. :)

you think jumpingjackflash? I thought the reponses were mostly tongue in cheek - which is what I can easily see happening regardless of who started the thread

Beej makes a good point - but as for answers.. I got nuthin'. It's the unpredictability of charging from pub to pub that really irks me about soft drinks. If I knew they would always be expensive that would be one thing - but the same drink can go for ?1 or ?3 - it's the gear change that does my head in

Then again pubs are offering a service they didn't before - wifi? open before 12? etc etc - how people react en-masse to the extortionate prices will dictate whether they stay or not I guess. As Jeremy pointed out as well, pubcos probably have a big say in this too

Beej - do you feel unfairly picked on? I thought the thread was benign enough