Denmark Hill Cycle

I ride a Genesis Flyer as a fixed and ride to work over Denmark Hill. I actually find it easier than on my geared road bike. I think it is a 42:17 ratio and that is no problem. Though the down hills are a bit nuts at first as you have to spin your legs really quickly.

I love my fixed, its quick, light and really easy to maintain.

That hill is a killer. A combination of the lights halfway up, the poor road surface, the left turn onto Champion Hill, and the fact that I am a blubbery hellbelly. I am seriously considering juicing up to make my commute a little easier.

I love fixed wheeled bikes too... mainly for the amusement they give me whilst watching their owners attempt to climb hills. lol

Any gear that allows you to get up Denmark Hill will limit your speed on the flat and be unpractical (even dangerous) going downhill.

They're a fad... like BMXs in the 80s and full suspension mountain bikes in the late 90/00s. Good at what they were designed for and popular with enthusiasts but a poor choice for most people. If your route to work involves hills, hub gears are the way forward imo.

Klaus - that is rubbish. I can get up Denmark Hill no problems (usually quicker than anyone on a hybrid) and shift along at around 18-20mph on the flat at a steady cadence. I've owned a mountain bike, hybrid, 28 gear road bike and a fixed wheel in the past 8 years riding in London. The fixed wheel is easiest to maintain, quickest (except up sydenham hill) and the most fun to ride.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I'd go single speed over fixed. There are merits to the simplicity of one gear and it can help you get the most out of a commute, fitness wise.

Fixies are a bit show-offish and increase the potential for some hairy moments which are plentiful anyway. I tried fixed for a while but apart from the above, it also gave my knees grief. You can go to the Herne Hill Velodrome and try a fixie in its natural environment if you want to test.

42x17 for me, which is at the lower end but I gots the dodgy knees! Makes it easier up hills though.

I'm still unable to see the benefits of fixed gear / single speed bikes. They look good but other than that I see them as a short term fashion.

It's not difficult to maintain my current MTB, but then I used to work in a bike shop, many moons ago. Having said that a little research on basic maintenance can go a long way and also save you ??.

I could waffle about this all day but i reckon the bike i commute on is quicker, easier and safer than a fixed or single speed model. I have enough gears to get me up any hill in London easily as well as accelarating without effort, disc brakes to stop me in emergencies, front suspension to absorb potholes and speed bumps ...and a weight under 22lbs.

I also own a single speed bike which i use for trips to the shops or pub and i love it dearly! I can think of no reason why i'd choose to ride it with a fixed wheel though.

I totally understand the point about maintainance but i stand by the point that fixies are a fad.

(Metal) horses for courses etc!

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know what you mean about E&C death by

> roundabout. When I'm feeling a tad fragile there's

> a little cut through on the left opp Heygate St

> which takes you across Kennington Park Rd avoiding

> the killa roundabout via the back streets and park

> and out onto St Georges Road.

If that's to the West it's too far out of my way. I tend to head East.

The roundabout doesn't bother me as much as the Walworth Road, especially on the way home between Coldharbour Lane junction and Kings.

Charlie

I ride single speed not fixed. The main benefits are maintenance i.e. there is none basically. When you ride a geared bike during the winter every day to work, it gets nailed. I basically want minimal admin which is what the single speed provides. It is also surprisingly quick.

There is definitely a fashion thing going on as well but again, it is ease of use that wins my vote