water - where's it gone

Have just phoned Thames Water - SE22 and SE5 are still affected and they hope to have the water back on between 8.30pm and 9.30pm. Failing that, they have bowsers (those water tanker-type things)on standby. Apparently they don't knock on your door to let you know they're there so you need to keep an eye out if it comes to it. I don't know - standpipes in the street, strikes, recession, maxi dresses ... It's like the 70s all over again. Happy days.(?)

bignumber5 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> seems to be getting worse on cpr at plough end...

Agree with this - we've had very low pressure all day, but it's now completely off. Am hoping this means they've switched it all off to complete the final repairs, as they've been diverting water from other sources all day...

Rang thames water, they said low pressure on most homes as 10 post codes were affected by burst main in College Road.

Am in woodvale really iritating, no water at all, they said 4 hrs, speaking to 24 hr legal helpline of BArclays now.........

When I spoke to Thames Water last night, they said that part of the problem is that as they replace some of the old mains (as they're doing all over the place at the moment) it puts extra pressure on the old, unreplaced systems. And if one main bursts, it is not unusual for another one to go in the same general area. We went past the one which had gone in Merton/S. Wimbledon this afternoon as it happens .

The thing that I found a bit annoying was Thames Water marking the SE22 problem as "fixed" at 11:59 last night, when in fact they weren't able to switch the water back on until the pipes had been disinfected at 7:30am. Apparently, if it's not fixed "within day", the amount of compensation they have to pay to customers (if customers ask for it) goes up quite a bit...

From the Thames Water site:

If there is an unplanned interruption, for example when a water main bursts, we will put your water supply back on within 12 hours of knowing about this problem. If a larger "strategic" main bursts, we guarantee to fix it within 48 hours. We can't give any warning of unplanned interruptions but we will tell you when your supply will be restored as soon as we can. If we do not give you advance notice of planned interruptions, or we fail to restore your supply within the time promised, we will automatically pay our domestic customers ?20 and our business customers ?50. For each extra 24 hour period that you have no water, we will pay an additional ?10 to domestic customers and ?25 to business customers.

So I guess the question is, is this a larger "strategic" main (in which case no compensation) or a normal one (in which case do we get ?20 per household - the wording is not exactly clear)? I have a feeling I know what Thames Water will say to me...