If you commute from ED to Westminster on a motorbike, you're about to be charged to park

I have locked this post as there is a duplicate post here: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,148966 - The Administrator

Ahoy, motorbike and scooter commuters: Westminster Council is about to charge ?1.50/day to park in their part of London.

As we ease the burden on the Tube and buses, and ease road congestion, while returning up to 100+ mpg (10mpg more than a G-Wiz electric car and 50mpg more than a Prius), we should be encouraged, not penalised.

Send your opposition to:

[www3.westminster.gov.uk]

PS: I cycle too, so on the days I cycle in, I'll still be paying, as it's a yearly permit. Great.

I heard about this a few months ago and recently had a leaflet from Westminster council left on my scooter.

It's an absolute disgrace. Motorcycle parking has always been free in London. What with rising utility bills, fuel costs, council tax, stealth taxes, train/tube/bus fares and god knows what else my scooter was the one thing I could point to and say 'thats still good value for money'. Obviously Westminster council realised this and saw an opportunity to fleece some more money from hard working commuters.

How long before Camden, Islington and all the other boroughs follow suit? So much for the Government trying to encourage environmentally friendly transport!

What annoys me even more is that they're justifying the charge by saying they've created more motorcycle parking spaces and added secure posts to tether your bike to. But I haven't seen ANY new spaces in Westminster, in fact, it's more packed than ever and nobody seems to use the security posts so it's not even as if they were needed. What's more, these new spaces (if they really exist) will be paid for with two years of parking revenue, even at their own inflated estimate of cost. After that they start making a profit and you can bet your bottom dollar they'll start ramping up the prices in a year or two. How much can it really cost to paint a few white lines on the road?

If they really wanted to increase motorcycle parking facilities all they would need to do is convert a few car parking bays for motorcycle use. But, of course, then they'd be losing car parking revenue. So no chance of that happening!

We should do what the French do and just point blank refuse to pay!