Lack of london bridge trains at rush hour

Mark

Following from this thread I sent an email to Southern trains yesterday asking why there's a reduced service between 8 and 9 and if there's any plans to improve it. Here's the reply (for those who can't be bothered to read it, it says: blah, blah, blah maybe one day it'll improve)

Thank you for your web comment.

Your words regarding the fact that there are more off peak services running from East Dulwich than peak services are not lost on me. However, there are some wide-ranging planning and logistical issues to be overcome before we can arrive at a solution. You may be aware that, in September 2004, the former Strategic Rail Authority (SRA) published a Route Utilization Strategy for the Brighton Main Line (RUS) but, because train movements on Southern are so crucially inter-dependent upon one another, the RUS actually embraced the whole network.

However, although the Department for Transport (DfT) has recently endorsed some of the key recommendations made in the RUS, airline interests have been lobbying hard against them because they included scrapping the Gatwick Express, and the Secretary of State has decided to seek further views on how things should be moved forward. Moreover, the DfT has also indicated that most of the London suburban ideas need further work, particularly in view of Transport for London's proposals for development of the East London Line to include services through to Croydon and Clapham Junction. Unfortunately, all of this has huge implications for what we can, therefore, get on with and thus how quickly we can implement change and address the sorts of issues you raise. However, one thing we can say is that when the East London line service is extended to West Croydon, the service will be in addition to that which we run so there will then be some significant additional capacity.

You may find it useful to look at the DfT, Network Rail and TfL web-sites for additional background information but if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to write to me using the link below.

Regards

David Cotterell

Southern Customer Service

Well, those are just lobbying groups - we could always form a lobby group if you wished?

We'd probably need to create a lobby website, collect names and email addresses from local commuters at rush hour, and form a community.

Local councillors tend to respond well to numbers of people.

I don't support the logic of Southern's argument. Gatwick Express goes every 15 mins between 5am and very late. There's no reason why it should have an isolated impact on morning rush hour (coming back in the evening seems to work well until after about seven.

I don't see the point in the Gatwick Express. Southern run trains to Gatwick from Victoria every 30 mins anyway. They take only two minutes longer than the GX (thanks to a stop at East Croydon) and cost 2/3 the price (approx ?9).

Losing the GX to improve suburban services would not be a great loss to air travellers. They might even save some money on their fare! Airlines should go play with themselves. Let's beat them up. And while we're there why not ask for an extension to the Bakerloo, Victoria or Jubilee lines...all running to "Lordship Lane" station!